Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an experience last night that will change a lot of things. A call at 2am that my daughter is in an emergency room three hours from my home and unresponsive. I didn't know on the way there that it was alcohol related and everything went well and I was able to bring her home. The ambulance driver said they got there just in time as her vomiting was keeping her from keeping a clear airway. She could have died.

I thank God always for being so good to my family. I often wonder why God is so good to us? Why do I deserve it? I was originally coming here to thank God once again tell everyone to keep talking to their children and share an eye opening experience. Ask your kids what they are doing and where they are going no matter how much it aggrevates them.

When I came here to post I started to read all the other posts. It made me turn away. Seemed to me my experience didn't belong here. It just seemed like all I had to say was how lucky I am. To post that amoung all these other posts here just didn't seem right. My experience now seems like not such a big thing. I can't understand why such good people must suffer through such terrible illnesses. I have watched my Mother and Father suffer to their deaths. Slow and agonizing. I just don't understand why. They were good people. They had a tough life.

So I guess why I am posting is to ask...why. Why do such good people suffer so. It just makes me question things. Some people and their families just don't deserve it. I will never lose faith in my Lord, but I just can't understand why.

I will pray today for all the others that posted here. They are really the ones who need it. Not us. Sorry if this sounds like a rant. I'm feeling very emotional today.

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
Absolutely posted in the right place! I'm very glad to hear that your daughter is okay. The worries that a parent goes through with kids is ongoing so I'm happy to hear that she was helped in time. Scary stuff.

Prayers go out to help guide her in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
My friend,

There are more than one or two 'Men of the Cloth' who are members here and I guarantee you that they don't fully understand either. Heck, just how much do we understand? :eek: I suppose if we did understand it all we just might have a more perfect world eh? It seems what we do know will keep us strong.

Our prayers here have gone up for your daughter and yourself.

Dave

·
Registered
409 Posts
Why do these things happen to good people you ask.

Not sure why either. I gave up drinking in 1984, with the help of friends and by the will of God.
I had little to do with it; if I had had my say, things would never have gone that far to begin with.
The experience made me more sensitive to the frailty of mankind and more willing to offer help and support to those who are in need.

My hope is that something positive comes out of this experience for you and for your family.

God Bless!

JDP

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Lever Addict,

I can tell you this from my own experience. I go to/lead a prayer meeting every week. There are two types of prayer that come up, and sometimes combinations of the two. 1) Prayers of petition where you ask God for help, and 2) prayers of thanksgiving and praise. I think you have a combination of both. Praise God that your daughter is alive!! And I would ask God that she recovers fully and that she learns the lesson God is trying to teach her in this. I would pray most importantly that she knows God and that she is His child, and that she would give her life to Him, in case you are unsure of her salvation.

Speaking as the parent of a daughter that wrapped her car around a sign on the highway in the middle of the night in a drinking related accident a couple of years back, I can tell you from experience that you are not alone in this. I take comfort in knowing that God is in charge, and He knows what He is doing even though it is mighty confusing to me what that is at times. Our best bet is to trust in the Lord and do what He commands us to do:

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.
But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;

For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. TBone she knows and loves God for shure. It has been a long day today. My extended family here on Marlin Owners knows more of this than my own family! In a way i would rather talk to many of you than some of them. You guys are always posative and helpful in times of need. I appreciate the friendships I have here more than learning to tune a Marlin! ;) This is truly a special place full of special people. One day we will all meet hopefully wherever we will after our time here is up. I look forward to meeting you all! I have seen a true miracal in my life. Thats more than some can say. There is a supreme being...my Lord that will hopefully be extending his hand to me when the time comes. I am far from perfect, but I try to do the right thing on a daily basis. Although I fail miserably at times I hope the Lord looks past my imperfections and leads me down the right path. Today I held my little girl and bawled like a baby. I told her how happy I was she's alive. Yes...there are lessons to be learned when something bad happens. I guess that's why sometimes bad things happen.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes TBone we took her home. She came to when I held her hand and spoke to her. She was hooked up to IV's getting fluids and pottasium. She had a catheter also exscuse the spelling. Good stuff going in and they were making shure it was coming out! She was pretty sick most of the way home. Today was spent recovering and talking. Thank you Lord.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Glad yall were talking . My Jess is my wild Child,Shes the toughest woman I know.Seen her in competitions fighting. and in a beauty contest the same week.But her drinking has always scared me. You See I know where she gets her ability to drink from.And Im not proud of it.She dont as much now as when she first started college.She works at a gym teaching karate and still goes to school.But I still worry because thats my job.After the lose of Brittney two nights ago I want her close,but shes 170 miles from me in Charleston.Partying Im sure,But I can just pray,and worry. Im so glad your Babys safe now. Hope its a hard lesson learned for her.May the good lord look after her and all our childern the way hes looked after us.There was a time I thought and Im sure you too, that we were unstopable. Now here I sit with a shot up crippled body,but the wisdom gain is almost worth the price I paid.Wish they all could learn from our mistakes.I go tomorrow to a mortuary to be with my Cousin Patrick and try to console him with the lose of his 20 yr old girl.What can a man say to someone,nothing I guess,But Ill be there. You know its against nature for you to out live your child..Take care of your Baby Lever, and love her for who she is. And again I thank the lord shes safe with yall now. Your friend Randy,, I cant answer your question,but I bet ol Job from the bible asked the same thing.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Lever.. you sure posted in the right spot.. And I am sure glad she is ok.. Yep some among us are really in sad shape and I too during my life have questioned why God lets certain things happen to good people .. I don't know the anwer and probably never will .. But I also have seen and witnessed his intervention and miracles.. ..

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Lever Addict, You posted in the right spot. This is what it is here for. Glad your daughter is OK. Prayers sent.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Yeah man, when my church community group meets every week and we're doing prayers, we do requests/petitions and praises. It's just not healthy to have one but not the other.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

Your "why" question is a big one, with lots of facets. The Bible addresses all the kinds of suffering that we will deal with (the question is, will we believe the Bible and respond accordingly?), but there are different kinds of suffering to consider. I'm not sure which one in particular you are concerned about.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
gunrunner said:
I cant answer your question,but I bet ol Job from the bible asked the same thing.
He most certainly did. Job's mistake, beyond counting himself as righteous by his own merit, was that he attributed all the tragedies and wickedness of the world to God himself, when he should have been placing the blame on the real responsible party, the enemy, the god of this world, etc., along with the sin of his own children, etc, etc. The Lord had to teach him to walk in faith...

"He destroys both the blameless and the wicked." (Job 9:22)

"I will say to God: Do not condemn me, but tell me what charges you have against me. Does it please you to oppress me, to spurn the work of your hands, while you smile on the schemes of the wicked?"

There is no truth in those incorrect assumptions of Job's. Job complained on and on like that for way too long.

It was Elihu and God himself who answered Job's false allegations from chapter 32 onward with perfect clarity and wisdom. Note that none of Job's supposedly wise older God-fearing friends were of any immediate help to Job. They were not able to see with eyes of faith, and did not see Job's pain and try to comfort him and try to gird up his faith. Instead they condemned him. It was the younger Elihu that had to speak up and put their error-filled responses in their proper place. But also notice that in the end that God did use Job's friends failures to teach both Job and his friends about His forgiving nature. See Job 42:7-10 and pay close attention.

I know a number of people to whom the book of Job has been a stumbling block to...they simply do not get it, and were never able to understand anything beyond Job's initial reaction and self-righteousness, which they see as the appropriate response. As far as I can tell, sadly they are blinded, they want faith in God to mean that everything is always rosy and easy and cushy and daisies, a faith where they get to dictate the terms of their relationship with God from their own selfish point of view, etc. That simply is not what the Bible tells us. The Lord's promises He made to us are actually much better than that.

Don't forget that good old Job did "get it" in the end, to the Lord's glory :)

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Lord knows I dont know it all,Im like a child to him.A man of many battles,wounds and trails.But still just a child. Thats why ol Gunrunner just took a shower and will be at church shortly.Guess Me or Mike will be sitting in Dads place today, at the end of the pew.Then after church Ill go by and check on the old Man. Then off to the mortuary.Got a day ahead of me for sure.You boys take care. Randy,,,

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
lever addict ...

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and especially your daughter this day. I, too, have asked the question "why?" many times as I have watched family and friends suffer throughout my life. I have never asked, "Why me?" but the "why them?" question countless times and I am unsure if there is answer I could fully understand.

We raise our children to the best of our abilities ... then hope and pray for them the rest of our lives.

bjm

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Just ran by one of my favorite verses just now and thought I'd throw it up here. It has some applicability here and teaches on a theme repeated over and over throughout the Bible in different ways:

Luke 6:46-49, NASB, Holy Bible,
"Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? Everyone who comes to Me and hears My words and acts on them, I will show you whom he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock; and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who has heard and has not acted accordingly, is like a man who built a house on the ground without any foundation; and the torrent burst against it and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great."

In this light, we can see that being a Christian does not necessarily mean that you will be kept from "the torrent," and neither does not being a Christian. But there is a major difference, a promise to those who follow Him.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Lever, I'm glad the "third time's the charm" as they say and you did finally go ahead and post here. Perhaps the name of this forum should be changed to Prayer & Share instead of just prayer forum. Sharing our trials and burdens with other christians is one of the rewards of being a christian ourself. We all have them of one type or another and trying to appear able to handle it on our own is surely a lonely trail to walk at times.
I rejoice with you that your daughter was able to come home with you the other night and pray it was a lesson learned for her.
So far as the why, well we wouldn't be human if we didn't ask that from time to time. God doesn't promise us life will be easy if we follow him, just that he will always see us through.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Lever I'm sorry I'm late to see your post!!I'm so glad that your daughter is ok praise God I will pray for her and you and your family!!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
lever addict, I'm happy to hear that your daughter came home. Maybe she learned a valuable lesson about drinking. Jesus has his ways to show us what is right and wrong. Hope everything goes better in the future. Marla

1 - 20 of 33 Posts