Marlin Firearms Forum banner

My spring and summer ruined sort of.

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  mister 270 
#1 ·
I recently got my 336A 35 rem back after 33 year absence posted story previously and if that wasn't enough my wonderful wife of 30 years gave me the go ahead to make a purchase. Picked up new Remington 700ADL in .308 win. Chose the 700ADL because it was right price as I'm on fixed income and it fit budget. I have been away from shooting and hunting for the past 5 years due to health issues. Been blessed with better health recently and I am working my way back. Took both rifles to range today one for reunion celebration and the other for introductions. The 336 was as sweet as ever still shooting 1 to 1.5" at 50 yards and 2-3" at 100yds with original factory irons, I'm lovin it! The 700ADL .308 shooting an inch or better at 100 yards with factory ammo. I find myself wishing the summer away to get in the woods in the fall. Oh well I will use time wisely to make up for lost time with the 336 and build strong relationship with the 700, in other words "I plan to shoot a lot this spring and summer." I'm Having fun!:biggrin:

#2 ·
Enjoy, and may the good health continue.

#3 ·
Congratulations on the reunion with the 35! If you are getting 2-3" groups at 100 yd with the iron sights, you are doing excellent my friend! Glad your health has improved, buring powder is a wonderful way to keep that health for mind and soul. Welcome to Marlin Owners from Montana. DP

#5 ·
Think of the summer as more time to enjoy your rifle before the real fun begins! Won't be long after that before it's too cold to do a lot of shooting. Enjoy!

#6 ·
Thanks guys, I plan on shooting and reloading as much as possible as health continues to improve. I have been a lurker here for a long time as you can see from my join date and post count. Always enjoyed everyone's knowledge and just drooled over all the pics of 336's my favorite rifle. Now that I have mine back I even learned to post pics. My firearms are not safe queens they all will get used in the field but not abused. I have always enjoyed shooting and still remember my first red ryder I got for Christmas in 1972. Mom and Dad always encouraged me to enjoy shooting and the outdoors, spent every available minute plinking through the woods with the daisy. Thanks Mom and Dad. My son has that Red Ryder now and it will soon be my Grandson's as soon as he is ready.

#7 ·
While fall is fun summer is also great. All those fish and so little time to catch them. I actually had to buy some fish out of the local supermarket this spring as I realy wanted a fish dinner. Seems to be difference between the fish you catch and those you buy. Not a favorable one on those you buy. Will need to stock the freezer a little better this summer. Some preaching gloom and doom for the deer herds after a winter said to be the worst in 30 years. Still seeing a lot of small deer. They had a case of Chronic Wasting disease NW of where I live after a few easy winters. Even had a special season to thin them out, but one harder winter cut back on that problem so I have mixed feelings about the winters. Those that survive are maybe a little more hardy?
May get another burst of snow, I just cleaned up a small snowfall from Monday. Forecast however shows warmer weather coming. Last year the lakes were not even open for fishing opener. I can really enjoy summer after a couple of bad winters. I have a hill top where I sit in the sun and view my hay field. Amazing what you see before the hay grows and after it is cut. For many years I have watched a Redtailed hawk patrolling the field and sitting on hay bales. For the gopher state I do not see many gophers. Also see a few turkey vultures circling and a few bald eagles. Occasional fox shows once in a while as does a coyote. I keep a pair of binoculars handy when I sit there. Once the field loses its snow the deer start coming out at sunset. They are really spooky in the spring.
Summer is not all bad and kind of enjoyable. I did mention the fact that there are fish to catch? May do a little shooting also.

DP

#8 ·
glad your health is doing better, might be you are engaged in a fun and exciting hobby of acquiring and shooting rifles. sounds like you are going to have a bunch of fun this summer. i also plan on doing a bunch of shooting this summer, I just need to spend more time reloading than refurbing and buying rifles.................

#10 ·
First and foremost, a :tee:to your health! As they say, "if you ain't got your health, you ain't got nothin'"! Second, another :tee: for gettin' back that rifle and gettin' out to the range! Continued health and good shootin' weather to you Sir!

#12 ·
grizzer, I approve of your spring/summer plan. I think spring may finally be here in Mo., now to get the wind to die down so I can go shoot. We've had ''Red Flag'' days for two weeks now, burn ban in effect, winds 25 + and gusts to 40, just not good for shooting. Take care and let us know how range time goes, John.

#13 ·
Glad your health is improving, and sounds like some good shooting there. Not sure where you live, but maybe as a prep for the Fall, you could go out and try to knock down some Coyotes or somethin' as a warm-up... :biggrin:
Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.