Marlin Firearms Forum banner

My spring and summer ruined sort of.

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  mister 270 
While fall is fun summer is also great. All those fish and so little time to catch them. I actually had to buy some fish out of the local supermarket this spring as I realy wanted a fish dinner. Seems to be difference between the fish you catch and those you buy. Not a favorable one on those you buy. Will need to stock the freezer a little better this summer. Some preaching gloom and doom for the deer herds after a winter said to be the worst in 30 years. Still seeing a lot of small deer. They had a case of Chronic Wasting disease NW of where I live after a few easy winters. Even had a special season to thin them out, but one harder winter cut back on that problem so I have mixed feelings about the winters. Those that survive are maybe a little more hardy?
May get another burst of snow, I just cleaned up a small snowfall from Monday. Forecast however shows warmer weather coming. Last year the lakes were not even open for fishing opener. I can really enjoy summer after a couple of bad winters. I have a hill top where I sit in the sun and view my hay field. Amazing what you see before the hay grows and after it is cut. For many years I have watched a Redtailed hawk patrolling the field and sitting on hay bales. For the gopher state I do not see many gophers. Also see a few turkey vultures circling and a few bald eagles. Occasional fox shows once in a while as does a coyote. I keep a pair of binoculars handy when I sit there. Once the field loses its snow the deer start coming out at sunset. They are really spooky in the spring.
Summer is not all bad and kind of enjoyable. I did mention the fact that there are fish to catch? May do a little shooting also.

DP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.