Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend my son came home for a visit and we went fishing on Saturday and caught 10 trout and a channel cat. That was fun but today we went out shooting after church. We took along several of my rifles and my Blackhawk 41 mag. I didn't get to buying Marlins till the kids were grown so he hadn't been exposed to them till the last two years.

We had a 39a, 882ss, 1894fg, and a little Henry 22lr. We started off with the 1894fg and then the Blackhawk. He did very well with both and seemed to like them. Then we switched to the 22 mag and then the 22lr. After several rounds of rimfire he wanted to go back to the 1894fg with Skinner peep. He had setup some water bottles and some roofing nails in a plank, stepped back to the 25 yd mark and went to driving nails threw the plank. After 10 rounds and hitting 8 of 10 he smiled and said that is nice. He stepped on back to the 50 yd mark and ten more rounds he hit 9 of 10 bottles missing the last one. He turned around with a big smile on his face and said that is the best shooting gun I have ever shot. Where can I get one of these? I told him he may have to wait till I pass on because they are discontinued and hard to find. He also likes the pistol gripped better than my straight stocked 1894cl. But he likes how it shoot as well.

I think he now has Marlinitis, he looks them over and shoulders them, looks threw the Skinner peeps, turns them over side to side , admiring all the fine quality they were built with. He likes the EBGs but he always comes back to look at my Marlins and asks more about them and how many calibers they come in. Lord help him now, if he starts dreaming of Marlins his new wife may wonder what she got into. ;D ;D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can't think of many other great things that you could give a kid than marlinitus. My 18 year old son has decided that he likes my .41 mag Ruger Redhawk and my matching 1894fg. Its a shame that they have become so expensive for the newer generation. He does have his own Marlin - a little Model 39D that he is quite good with. Now that it is starting to warm up, the ground squirrels better look out.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do wish I could have gotten two or three FGs when they were being made. We have talked about going hog or bear hunting together sometime and we will need another gun. I can always get a 30-30 or a 44 mag but we sure do like the way my 41 mag shoots and the pistol grip. I think they made a big mistake of discontinuing them, only if they knew.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think you should equip your gun with "Mo-Jack" ..just in case the FG gets gun napped ;D

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Marlinitus...

I've had a 39A for several years after a gun savvy buddy of mine recommended it as the most fun you can have with your pants on. He was right.

Last hunting season, I bought my first center fire rifle, a 336C in 30/30. Now, for some inexplicable reason, I'm getting the itch to get a 44 Mag 1894. My logic is that, since I've started to reload for my 44 Mag SBH, I need a 44 Mag lever gun.

I keep trying to go into denial, telling myself I don't even have a kill yet on my 30/30, but the urge is getting over powering. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts