Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been enjoying the bratwurst & pepperoni snack sticks for months, but he just got the hide & skull back from his Sept 2013 Washington bear. Pretty cool. The hide came out very nice! Typical Washington black bear, a chocololate brown with some red in it. We'd guess around 300 pounds or a bit more, live weight.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Nice! Congrats to your Son!:tee:

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
One of these days, one of these days... I hope my son and I can spend some quality time on a hunt that would be unusual for us. Bear, caribou, moose as a change from the deer hunting we get to do together.

Congrats to your son on another fine looking critter, and best to luck for all of you this coming season. BTW, did you decide what your gonna' hunt with yet?

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Beautiful coat! All the bruins I've danced with here in Michigan have been raven-haired beauties. One of these days I'll have to head west (or northwest) in search of a color phase.

I have a strong desire to stalk a nice brunette, blond, or redhead...but then again, what guy hasn't?

Roe

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
That would feel great on a cold night! Congrats to your son.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
nice , some impressive canines on that bruin

·
Premium Member
12,159 Posts
Very nice. My buddy found a bear skull in the woods on the side of I-75 just south of Ocala a couple of years ago while we were hunting a wheel that left the boat trailer. That a another story though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Awesome!

·
Banned
120 Posts
Congrats on the bear! I am set for a Black Bear hunt this winter and cant wait!

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beautiful coat! All the bruins I've danced with here in Michigan have been raven-haired beauties. One of these days I'll have to head west (or northwest) in search of a color phase.

I have a strong desire to stalk a nice brunette, blond, or redhead...but then again, what guy hasn't?

Roe
Roe - you let me know when you want to do that. We run into more "color phase" bears than black bears out here... Blonde, cinnamon, chocolate... Different flavors!

Guy

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
What a good trophy!!! A big congratulations to your Lad and to you as well Guy for teaching him well.:congrats:

I might just come over to the good ole US Arvey for a hunt soon. Trouble is I don't think we are allowed to bring bear trophys back into Aus. Bloody animal libers and bleeding hearts.:(

Neihgbour brought a beautiful elk back from Idaho a few years ago. He said there were no issues with customs but they went through the paper work with a fine tooth comb. He said it was very obvious they were trying hard to find a mistake or error, anything to make it difficult.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Banned
766 Posts
M700, I think you mentioned spotting across canyons is your bear hunting method, which was my approach this spring. Do you also or have you tried staking out a natural salt/mineral lick area? I came across my 4th one the other day, and this will be my method this mid Sept. Unfortunately 2 of them are on private property, one is a ways past a limited access gated road, and another is so easily accessible and near an area with homes that I'm hesitant to be hunting there as it's not my area of residence.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We hunt the food source.

Comes August and September the bears are usually found near the ripening berry bushes... So, that's where we concentrate our efforts. Not always the classic "cross canyon" stuff - just get up high where we can look down on a lot of terrain, and berry bushes. Ol' brother bear will likely be along sometime...

We've gone a day without seeing a bear. We've seen several all at once. I believe we had six in view one time, all at the same time, feeding in different areas.

Then it's decision time... Which one to go for? Can we close enough for a shot?

Guy

·
Banned
766 Posts
We hunt the food source.

Comes August and September the bears are usually found near the ripening berry bushes... So, that's where we concentrate our efforts. Not always the classic "cross canyon" stuff - just get up high where we can look down on a lot of terrain, and berry bushes. Ol' brother bear will likely be along sometime...

We've gone a day without seeing a bear. We've seen several all at once. I believe we had six in view one time, all at the same time, feeding in different areas.

Then it's decision time... Which one to go for? Can we close enough for a shot?

Guy
Nice problem to have. Food source around here is everywhere. This place is bursting with berries (Huckleberries, June Berries, Choke Cherries, Elderberries, etc.) all throughout the 1 million sq miles of the Lolo National Forest. What isn't nearly vertical, is so thick with timber I wouldn't attempt to go in there even with a chainsaw and a pack mule.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts