Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally finished my shorty. All I really needed to do was decide on some better iron sights and decide if I was going to scope it. I have decided not to scope it for the time being as my stock SBL is already equipped with a scout scope. I did, however, leave open the possibility for something in the future. For those not familiar with it's story, you can read up here.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,68027.0.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,78628.0.html

I went with the XS sights as I already have three other sets and I feel comfortable using them. I got the XS/DRC set though as I kind of like the idea of the winged cradle that came with this set, especially since it's going to be iron sight only. The front and rear ghost ring is no different than the standard sights but the winged cradle is actually made of steel and is quite robust. I also decided to put install an XS Scout rail on it. I hate leaving the factory rear sight on and folding it down and I really wasn't keen on a slot blank for this rifle. I actually think the rail looks good on there like it is and it will afford me the opportunity to experiment in the future with different options. For now it will be just like it is. Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I have learned a lot through this and I have to say that I am super happy with how it has turned out. I love this rifle. ;D

·
Registered
597 Posts
I wish I could get some synthetic stocks in camo for my GS.I got lucky and found a 07 with very nice wood with perfect fit,so much so I'd like to take them off to keep them perfect and get lighter synthetic stocks.I really like my GS with a aimpoint on it.It feels light and just right to me.I got a XLR for when a scope and longer ranges are needed.The 45-70 GS is the best rifle I've ever got for the money.I like the XLR but the GS is lot easier to tote around..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nicely done sir...:)

It is unfortunate that Marlin did not take care of the problem satisfactorily to begin with, but your finished product is something you can be proud of. Enjoy it. I know that every time I get to squeeze the trigger on my 1895GBL a huge smile results lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love what you did here CKB. Shows a diamond can be made from a chunk of coal.

It was purdy from the start but I agree when you buy a brand new gun, you expect more quality than you received. Kudos on your vision of what it could be, and then making it so. Good job sir!

·
Registered
446 Posts
That is one nice looking rifle. Excellent job!

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
I do like the look of that gun, Nice job.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much everyone. The comments are much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
That is a really nice looking rifle. I would like to add though, if you don't like the rear factory sight, how about removing it and having the dove tail filled? A good gun smith should be able to do that without a problem. A Gander Mountain gunsmith did the dovetails on this rifle.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/JCW/100_1249.JPG

JC

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very nice indeed.

It looks like you left the stainless bright. Did you consider glass bead blasting to make it less reflective?

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John E Davies said:
Very nice indeed.

It looks like you left the stainless bright. Did you consider glass bead blasting to make it less reflective?

John Davies
Spokane WA
I thought about it but I actually don't like the look of the BB stainless that much. The reality is that here in the PNW there are many more cloudy days than sunny ones, especially during hunting season. Also, the stock finish is much easier to maintain if it gets banged up and what not. Just a little scotchbrite and it's good as new.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
CKB,

Great job!!! :) Looks fantastic!!! 8)
A one of a kind!!!

I can appreciate the passion you've put into customising that rifle!!!
Your determination to make it everything you wanted it to be has paid off!!!

Well done!!!

You are amongst few members that take the time to post well written details along with great pics of your projects from start to finish!!!
We are lucky to have tallented folks like you and Erik (Eli).
Gunsmith/Writer's 8) 8)
You're both an inpiration and great help to many of us!!!
Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Great job... That looks terrific! Thanks for sharing. ;D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great job. You can send it to me for a complete testing. I should be able to get it back to you in about 20 or 30 years, (Ha, Ha). Beautiful rifle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts