Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up my latest project and figured i would share the end result with everyone here. A year ago i made a mesquite stock for my 1894P and have been more than pleased with the results. The attention she gets when i take her out was more than worth the effort. So i decided to make another one! since ammo is so expensive and all...... what else did i have to do. I will be making or adding to this to make a more in depth post on how i selected the wood to how i cut it along with some do's and dont's i learned about mesquite in my adventure to these final products.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
It looks fantastic!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Wow!!! Very nice Royce! Didn't know mesquite could look like that.

Mop

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Those look very good. That's some hard stuff to work with. I use to live in Devine, Tx. and my step dad and I would clear fields of mesquite for ranchers for the firewood. You can wear out some chainsaw blades in a couple days. Now you have some real Texan rifles. Next thing you know you'll be branding them.

·
Premium Member
15,447 Posts
nice lookin' stocks

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Those look excellent! Mesquite is one of my favorite woods. I've made a couple of mountain dulcimers (stringed lap guitars) out of mesquite. I love the smell of it when working with it, but I like the looks of the finished product even better. Good job!

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Beautiful! That Mesquite sure makes a nice looking stock...and a great tasting steak too!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What really amazes me is that there are individuals out there with the skills to make something like that. I've tried to fit 4 different store-bought, ready-to-fit fore arm to my 336 and I have butchered all 4, so much so that I had to put the Marlin stock, huh, stock back on. Fantastic work!

·
Registered
418 Posts
That is some amazing work. I have talked to several different stockmakers who refuse to work with mesquite because it is so hard on the tools. Kudos to you for the great work.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Man those are sweet!!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Beautiful work!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Those are really cool. Great character in that grain. Very nice work.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Very nice. Good Job! :congrats:

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
WoW, just WoW!
I want me some Mesquite stocks! Oh how they.would dress up my Cowboys! :)

Excellent work.
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Those are fantastic looking stocks!
and to think, I just had a 30 foot Mesquite removed from the yard because it made such a mess everywhere, and treated it as an eyesore.
gave the guy who removed it every piece for firewood... Ugh...
Well, I have another that is just as big coming down next month... looks like I will be saving some of the stumps!

I never knew it could look like that!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
How is that compared to walnut as far as weight and density? We don't have that stuff up here not that I could work it like you did.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts