Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well generally UPS arrives early morning at the homestead, however today with the long awaited replacement of my replacement 44 on the truck it did not show up until 233pm. Pouring rain, i quickly doned on some shoes and ran out to hopefully stop the driver before he got out of the truck,,,,I did not want to take the chance of a slip and fall. As you know if you been reading my post, I purchased the gun site unseen from Cabelas, which assured me it was not a thing wrong with it, i went over every detail of remingtons mishaps and he checked each and every one and said nope, this one dont have it, check , ckeck check..so i paid the 431 and received the typical junk they had been putting out. I was offered a refund by cabelas and elected to keep and return to marlin, they received it 12.27 and offered a refund as well. Its been a long wait, not sure why it seems longer waiting on a gun than it does for the birth of our children.
I got in the house and placed on the kitchen island and said a quick Marlin prayer that the rumors of good stuff was in my hands,and I thanked the lord for all the other good blessings he has given me over the years. Well i opened the box, tried to analyze the wood grain thru the plastic sleeve, and could already tell its still the new finish with no type of satin finish like the good ones from back in the day, but I knew this was not changing for 2014. I finally made my way thru the plastic and opened my eyes...

Riffling: Ballard

wood to metal finish: Best Ive seen yet, I pulled out the first 10 marlins I could get my hands on from the day safe and the big safe to compare. Best Ive seen, When I close my eyes and run my finger over the top of the tang and wood I cannot feel where the two lines match up. THAT GOOD.

Bluing: Is the standard new bluing from the past, it is darker and richer in color, over time i think I will like it just fine, but overall finish is excellent on all aspect where bluing is. I have no complaints

Action: I have only cycled 10 rds thru her as I wanted to get outside for some pictures before nightfall, however not one issue what so ever, what rough edges that you can see with the action open was smoother than any Marlin I ever owned out of the box. Earlier reports from the Vegas show reported that was still an issue with the guns at the show being rough,not the case on this one.

All other issues we have found over the years with the remlins are NON EXISTENT. I dont know what else to say, besides its a REP! If further production proves to be as well made as the one I received I think most people will be happy. Ive bought Marlins that had issues right out of the box that had to go back as well, and I am sure there will be more reps going back as well, one slips thru even the best made firearms, however it does not excuse the volume of reps that went out the door and put sour taste in our mouths. I had wanted to trade it once it arrived for a NIB Marlin 1894 CBC I saw last week, They saY those were a flop, not sure why, but I instantly wanted to bring it home, think they made in 2003 but unsure, but it was case hardened, 20"octagon barrel at the low price of 999 lol, however now I am unsure I want to, but then again i can get another rep 44 as they rolling off the line now and will be available. Not sure how you will tell the 2014 stock from any leftovers prior to then unless u can decifer the serial numbers to determine when it was made. Not sure you can on the remlins. Hopefully my pics will upload, sometimes they do, sometimes they do not. It is m Wood Fence Lumber
iles above and the best made remlin Ive seen to date and proud to own it. Im just gonna have to swallow it does not have a JM stamp, nothing else we can do about that. Overall I have 0 complaints as far as the workmanship, wish the wood had a lil glare to it, but nothing i can handle, bluing over time i think I will like better, seems to be a deeper richer blue/black. Nothing like the rough finish I saw on some 3030s a year or so ago, this is very smooth as it should be, just darker. If your waiting to see before you purchase, well here it is, I think unless I just got the only good one this year, you will be suprisingly happy

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
yes sir look mighty fine indeed.

Reactions: djj2012

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: HK45

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
My Remin 308MX is like your Remlin 1894--I haven't seen a Remlin locally that could match it. I thought the finish was a little light--so I rubbed some of my wife's Pledge Restoration wood finish oil on it to bring out the wood pattern in the walnut. I sure hope yours will be a great shooter like mine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
best thing for wood is a product called OZ its under 20 bucks for aresol can. can order offline, worked for restoration place or two in my days with antiques, it takes off the buildup of polish on wood, and does something in front of your eyes that is amazing, johnson wood wax dont touch it. they recommend to use it once or twice a year and damp rags inbetween. amazing what store bought furiture polish does to wood, it builds up and actually takes away the shine over time. We taken 50 year old furniture when it comes in for restoration, show the client what this stuff does on the old finish, they are amazed. I keep a can for when im bored.however didnt do much for the wood on this gun. just not sure what they are doing to kill the finish on the walnut stocks. Contemplating puting a sanding sealer over the stock, and might add a coat of satin.. I dont like high gloss or semi, usually use tung oil or a couple of other products when doing stocks. but the OZ Sure does wonders to the JM stamp guns. not sure why that is, cant explain it..but does nothing on the finish Marlin is using today. I have no issue redoing a stock on a rep in a heartbeat, JMs have to be abused and that is a totally different story. but OZ polish is worth every penny. its amazing what it will do to any piece of wood except reps... maybe they have impreganted some type of conditioner to it for h20 protection. One day I will get around to stripping one and seeing what can be done. one issue, this is my first rep.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Looks good from here! Hope she shoots too....update us with a range report when you can!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear they finally made it right David. Shame it took so long.
There production schedule literally changes DAILY. ITS frustating but its true. I have logged many hours on the phone with them over replacements.And I dont mean customer service, I got thru the front line defense the first month, communicated directly with a supervisor, then when talks went south, and soon became maybe next week, to next week, i got hold of the production manager at the plant, then I got a new rifle. The run a company unlike anything Ive ever seen. He promised me I would be happy if not damaged in shipping. I think for what you will be able to get these for are worth every penny , the 44s are not to bad but the 357s was out of control in price for the last year or so. If anyone planning on selling a 338 or the others fetching 100% markup better do in a hurry, because if I knew I could get another 338 this year as wellmade as this one today, my jm would be gone in a minute for 1600 dollars like i saw on GB. thats how happy I am. its kinda bitter sweet to me...glad to see a new production made like we want, (i still have a few more i want on my bucketlist before they cover me with dirt) but do not want to pay the prices they are getting on the JMs. So basically this will hurt the value i think but I dont sell guns for a living but hopefully the day will come that I can purchase with confidence a firearm that Ive come to love and admire.

·
Registered
21,083 Posts
Looks/sounds like you got winner!:tee:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You likely are relieved your 1894 "remlin" replacement rifle arrived better than expected attention to detail. I'm wondering if Remington has a new Marlin custom shop and just haven't told us. A least you have keeper this time around.

Chocdog

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
You know,it's good to hear some positives about the new Remlins for a change.Your new gun does look good.I hope it functions as well.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its been a long wait, not sure why it seems longer waiting on a gun than it does for the birth of our children.
You are telling me! I have been checking for 2014 stock of 1894 rifles at my favorite stores almost daily.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
You have much more patience than I have! I'm very glad you got one worth holding on to, the crap you have gone thru, you deserve it! I think there will always be a good market for the JM marked Marlins during my lifetime, but I'm glad to see a good one come off Remington's line. DP

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like I said it was longer waiting on it to arrive than my first born. One thing I am thankful with age is I have a whole bunch more patience now than ever. Dad of three grown daughters, politicans that are stealing and lying to american people, raising taxes , allowing large businesses to raise rates, while the middle class brings home less pay each year with their antics. Like gas prices, goes up three cents, down two cents. It just aint fair, but this fight with remington/marlin I said I wanna see first hand and gonna wait it out...
Oh trust me here dpe.ahoy it pushed me to my limits. lol. trust me on that one. I think only my middle child has pissed me off as much as dealing with them.

Does anyone no what the markings are on these reps barrels? Ive never notice while in stores but outside the REP proofmark is the letter "J" opposite side of the barrel is the numbers 01 ...rep j is one side, the other is 01. just wondering what significance they have? wonder if the 01 stands for the first good one they made.

You have much more patience than I have! I'm very glad you got one worth holding on to, the crap you have gone thru, you deserve it! I think there will always be a good market for the JM marked Marlins during my lifetime, but I'm glad to see a good one come off Remington's line. DP

Reactions: dpe.ahoy
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.