Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of my 3 dogs that i use to hunt rabbits and hare, they are of a portuguese breed called "podengo" that has 3 sizes available, the small, medium and big. The litle and medium are used to hunt litle mamals, but the medium can also be used on big game with the big sized dogs.

This is "Violet", my small female, that is pregnant and i expect that she will deliver today or tomorow (you can see by the size of it's belly)

Here on the nest that i made her to deliver:

in the kennel

This is "Nilo" the small breed male:

And this is "india" my medium sized female.

hope you like my fast and furious rabbit hunters, that make my hunting days a thrill!!

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Are they musical when chasing rabbits like beagles or are they silent?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine are singers, when they get a hot trail they bark and when they see and chase the rabbits they look like a tunned choir. In thick brush they catch some rabbits with no shoots needed, because they are very fast and they tend to work in pack, when they hear others barking or "singing" all the others go and help to find the rabbit.

Reactions: a9mmfan

·
Registered
422 Posts
They look like a friendly family dog as well as a hunter. Sounds like you have something special with them. Learned something new today.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is one of the few portuguese hunting breeds, it was developed to hunt in thick bush and because of it's resistance, they can hunt a whole day under the end of the summer heat (sometimes more than 35º C, in top of summer 40 plus, but we don't submit our dogs to that kind of treatment, we hunt when it's cool by the morning and at the end of the day in summer and in winter all morning with rare cases of some hunting on the afternoon too).

there are some similar spanish and italian breeds with the same function, but more abble to hunt under their conditions, weather and environment.

These dogs are very good trackers and they usually mark the tracks by barking now and then, increasing the volume and the intensity when they get closer to the rabbit.

They can also hunt boars and big game species but the medium and big sizes are more capable of doing so, there are some breeders that cross breed them with dogos or mastiffs to get some strength to hold the boars down to protect the smaller dogs.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Not what I was expecting. I am used to Beagles but your dogs look like they can keep a rabbit moving. Do they tree squirrels too?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve - Lol, we do not Hunt squirels here, we have them but they are very few!! We Hunt rabbit, hare, Fox, mangoose, and Big game with them! My Small sized female already gave birth, it had 5 pups but ONE died on birth, so i've got 4 pups all male, 2 with Long tail and 2 with no tail!!

When i get to My PC i'll post some pics!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.