Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to one of our own MO members Tim50 I've been able to get my hands on a 338MXLR:biggrin:
She's wearing a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8×36 with leupold QR meadum rings mounted on a XS full lever rail with gost ring sight and a marlin big loop lever for my gorilla hands.
20140703_222356.jpg 20140703_222532.jpg 20140703_222115.jpg 20140701_161603.jpg 20140628_181629.jpg
Sorry about the sideways and upside down pictures.
The only thing I would change is the trigger. It's pretty bad. Feels like a 20lb trigger pull.
I'm pretty sure I can get her to shoot better. I only put 10 rounds through her and I was having a rough day. With my truck radiator going on me when I got to the range. But I still managed to get a few rounds through her well waiting for dad to show up with ther wrecker.
I couldn't be happier with my new to me 338MXLR and as soon as midway sends me an email saying that they have a WW happy trigger in stock she'll be perfect:biggrin:

·
Administrator
28,327 Posts
XMAN!!! I highly approve of the mods buddy as your 338MXLR turned out great! What a beut! For a heavy trigger pull she/you shot well. A happy trigger will tighten your groups up.

I got lucky as both my 308MX and 338MX have great triggers with the 308 breaking at 2 1/4 and the 338 breaking just slightly higher. I will lighten up the 338MX trigger to match the 308MX trigger which is outstanding.

How do you like that Leupold VX-3 2.5-8×36? It sure looks great and I'm thinking of one for my 338MX.

Thanks for posting the pictures and I look forward to the report once you install the happy trigger.

Jack

Reactions: XMAN

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jack.
The scope is hands down the best scope I've ever looked through. It's crystal clear and not to long for a Lever gun. At 2.5 power it would be grate for those short shots. With the 8 power it's high enough and clear enough that I could see my groups at 100 yards.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up drs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was lucky, my trigger was surprisingly not bad at all out of the box. However, sent gun off to McPherson for some custom work, and trigger was one of them, it is about at 2lbs or a smidge over. It is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marlin32 I hear what you're saying about triggers. I have a happy trigger on my 35rem and it works grate my SBL on the other hand came with a awesome trigger right out of the box. It's just as nice as the happy trigger.
I guess marlin triggers are hit or miss.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sharp Rifle Buddy!
Thanks T-Roy. Hey I'm thinking one of those TC cartridge holders like the one on your truck gun would go nice with the paracord wrap.:hmmmm:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Im SOOOOOO wantn one of these. That looks great with the BL. Im also a +1 on the VX3 x36. Got one on my 308 and am Very happy with it. Its my favorit out of my 6 scopes. Have fun with that one!!!

Hayden.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts