Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 99658 Well I did it. I thought long and hard about this rifle and decided if I did not cut it, it would be another safe queen. I had my smithy cut the barrel 16 1/2" from the front of the receiver. I filed it true and used 800 grit to polish the end of the barrel, then crowned it with the brass screw method. I have to say that it turned out great. I ordered the big loop from Brownnels and it fit right into place. I installed it, then worked the lever about 20 times. I removed it and put lapping compound on the contact areas, installed it again, then worked the action about 200 times while watching Gunsmoke out in the man cave. Right after Doc pulled a slug from Marshall Dillion's shoulder, I removed the lever and bolt, cleaned and oiled them lightly and put it back together. It is very smooth and will get even better after used more. A set of Williams Fire Sights and see thru mounts makes it perfect for my hunting situations. A new Leupold 2x7x33 Vx-1 tops it off. I'm looking forward to trying it out, maybe this weekend. View attachment 99657

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Very nice looking XLR. I would never do it to mine, but it looks great. You're right about not letting it be a safe Queen. It was made to enjoy.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Nice job Squirrel, once you cut one its down hill from there. Still doing the final touches on mine and already looking for another prospect.

Reactions: Squirrel Dover

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm wanting more and more to cut something down, all these projects looks great!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Looks great.I cut down my 1974 444 Marlin last week!

Reactions: Squirrel Dover

·
Administrator
28,309 Posts
Wow, that turned out great!

Seeing all these shorties lately is giving me a terrible itch I might have to scratch. :biggrin:

Jack

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the nice comments. To those of you that are thinking about a project like this, it didn't hurt a bit!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and JACKTW

·
Registered
990 Posts
What a great looking setup! I like it.
How about a range report? Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Ya done good! :congrats:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have thought about cutting mine too. I have a 336D that is just super sweet. I haven't made the leap of faith yet to get the XLR cut though, just feel like if I want the shorty I'll grab the D.
Yours looks great though, nice work!!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts