Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My 1980's vintage Marlin surprised me with good accuracy the other day. See http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...curate-shooter-very-suprised.html#post1789025
I am in the process of completing my Form1 suppressor. It has multiple 60 degree stainless steel cones in a titanium tube with titanium end caps. It is 1.5" diameter and about 9.5" long. The suppressor is over designed to handle .308, so 30-30 will be no problem. It will weigh in at about 20-22oz.

Anyhow, I am planning to send the barreled receiver to a guy with a 4 jaw lathe. He will thread the muzzle back .600" with 5/8x24 threading. The front sight mounting hole will be removed in the process. Once I get it back, I will move the front sight back by picking up the rear hole and drilling tapping another rear hole. I will need to then trim down the mag tube a little bit as well.

My concern is doing this to a JM Marlin sacrilege? It will forever change it and may reduce the value. I have no plans to sell the rifle and it is not pristine by any means. I had to remove a lot of rust with that Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner (it works and kept what little bluing I had left in good shape.) So it is a beater, but shoots real, real well.

Why do I want to put a suppressor on a Marlin 336? First of all, suppressors are legal, so long as you pay the $200 government tax and have the paperwork or "tax stamp" with you while using it. Suppressors of course significantly reduce the sound signature of even super sonic loads where I could shoot it while hunting (legal in my state of OR, check your state http://tinyurl.com/kecdrq2) thereby reducing the risk of hearing damage or ringing to my already sensitive ears from years of shooting. It will bring the sound signature to that of a .22 rifle.

I can load and shoot subsonic loads in this rifle and have a hearing safe load that I can use for plinking at my friends property and not bother the neighbors as the action noise and bullet impact will be louder than the report. Also, a suppressor on a lever gun makes since since the bolt is closed reducing the ejection port noise. And, it is just unique. I found a guy doing this...take a look...

I found a couple other guys too...

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on threading the barrel? I assume I am not messing with something super rare?

Thanks.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I do not think the 1980's 336 is anything special, another year in a long line of years that produced quality rifles. It was pre-rem, so that counts for quite a bit. But these rifles are still readily available pretty much everywhere. If you want to do it then go ahead. Don't let any of us talk you out of it. It is just not the type of project that I could work up any enthusiasm for myself, however. The suppressor might be light, but I am pretty sure it would affect the balance of my rifle and ability to maneuver in brush and tight quarters, which one of the reason I love my 336's.
good luck and post pictures and range report, it will be interesting to see how it comes out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im doing this myself, but on a 336 in 35 remington. I'm cutting the barrel down a bit to get about the same swing but with the surpressor on. I might just thread my 1894c in 357 as well. Surpressors makes a whole lot of sense while hunting..

Good luck and post pics!

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
My thoughts on a "suppressed" Marlin? Just don't bring it to Jersey.

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Registered
325 Posts
I suppose if your 336 is down to 18 inches already you'd be looking at 27 ish.. I've heard someone out there has made a rifle that long before..

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Have your smith make an end cap to protect the threads when the suppressor is not on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, what I gather is that it is not sacrilege, but the rifle will be unwieldy. I probably would carry it sans suppressor to my stand and put it on in the stand and wait for when the time comes to blast bambi. The property where I shoot also has deer and that will also keep the neighbors happy. Teddy would be proud.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,536 Posts
Make sure that the axis of the center of bore line is taken into account when threading the barrel. The outside profile of factory barrels are more often than not eccentric to the bore line. A properly designed and executed suppressor leaves very little room for bullet clearance with it's baffles. A bullet striking a baffle will result in the very least significant loss of accuracy, at worst, severe damage to gun and/or suppressor along with resultant possible injury to the shooter and bystanders. Point of impact will not be the same with suppressor installed. AC

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Not too long ago I picked up a sweet '36 in .32 Spl which had a threaded muzzle with a nice knurled end cap to protect the threads.
It's a beautiful piece and you'd swear the muzzle work was factory.
The seller's Granddad said he didn't has the accessory though.
Need to shoot it one of thses days.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Make sure that the axis of the center of bore line is taken into account when threading the barrel. The outside profile of factory barrels are more often than not concentric to the bore line. A properly designed and executed suppressor leaves very little room for bullet clearance with it's baffles. A bullet striking a baffle will result in the very least significant loss of accuracy, at worst, severe damage to gun and/or suppressor along with resultant possible injury to the shooter and bystanders. Point of impact will not be the same with suppressor installed. AC
+1 for this advise. I do own and have owned lots of cans and you would be AMAZED at how many barrels have bores that are not concentric to the OD. Make sure your machinist understands suppressors and what it takes to thread a barrel properly for one. Just because they can thread for a flash hider doesn't mean the really understand suppressors.

I suggest using someone like ADCO for this type of work. They know what they are doing and have quick turn around on machine work.

Besides that enjoy your can. We have a blast with ours.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
If I live long enough, I intend to install one on a bolt action .22. Where I hunt, there is no one else around, so ear sonic plugs work and are much cheaper. The .22 might be handy in urban settings.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a surppressed 223, it works great. Even With SuperSonic bullets i can use it on hunting without geting tinnitus.

I also got a 444, it's loud and i think that is a problem when i am hunting. I can either get an ear protection with microphones, loose my hearing or get a suppressor.
That's the real issue: suppressing the sound for your eardrums. The supersonic bullet still generates the "crack" that game will certainly hear. Now then, a suppressed .22LR with subsonic rounds is an entirely different matter.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Yep....but sonic crack is still much quieter than a rifles report! Similar to an unsuppressed .22lr. So in terms of hearing damage, it is significantly less...in terms of scaring game...i reckon that depends.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well,
Finally completed the chop, thread and Form1 suppressor (with stamp paid). Have not tried it out. The can weighs 20oz. The rifle balances great, but is heavier overall than a stock suppressor. Now I can kill deer or bottles without damaging my ears. I have subsonic and supersonic loads ready to test. Will take a video when I finally get out.
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger

·
Banned
308 Posts
Well,
Finally completed the chop, thread and Form1 suppressor (with stamp paid). Have not tried it out. The can weighs 20oz. The rifle balances great, but is heavier overall than a stock suppressor. Now I can kill deer or bottles without damaging my ears. I have subsonic and supersonic loads ready to test. Will take a video when I finally get out.
View attachment 144982
What a blast from the past, and how funny is this timing. Just yesterday I took my newly threaded rifle out to play. I decided that the additional $200 for the tax stamp, plus another $200 for my gunsmith to shorten the magazine tube and other associated work wasn't worth the novelty of having the barrel shorter than 16 inches, so I had it threaded for $65 at its original length.

Air gun Shooting sport Grass Recreation Shooting

Grass Air gun

Grass Optical instrument Air gun

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Both rigs look great, you guys. .35rem, how you like that harvester?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.