Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good deal. What gauge is it and whacha gonna do with it?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I traded an acustic guitar for an H&R Topper 20ga full choke in December.It looks almost just like yours.These are some nice little handy guns to keep on hand for vermon that may need a little friendly persuasion.What kind of fees do you have to pay besides tax?What gage is your gun?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is 20 gauge, modified choke. I and my son already used it to bust some clays and I may use it for small game. The rest of the time it is leaning alongside my bed for things that go bump in the night.

In addition to the tax, I had to pay $15 background check fee (PICS).

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I
n addition to the tax, I had to pay $15 background check fee (PICS).
Well now that stinks. I wasn't aware that there were any states charging for a background check. I guess nothing is untouchable anymore.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Hard to beat a single shot for shear toughness.
I put sights on my 12 ga.
and at 50yds it does pretty good with slugs.
But after 5 shots of 3" sluggers, your shoulder is about to fall off:biggrin:
It kills up front, and cripples behind:biggrin:
But I've killed, Deer, turkeys and countless small game with mine.
IMO its a perfect truck gun.
0807001047a1.jpg 08070010071.jpg

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have 12 and 20 ga bbls for mine. 12 ga is just brutal to shoot slugs through

This is another 20 ga I picked up at a garage sale last fall...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree on recoil with B shot or slugs. That comes with a 4 1/2 pound shotgun. You will need significant padding. The first time I shot buckshot I almost "fainted" from the recoil.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Gunrunner, I am curious about the sights you put on yours. I have often thought about putting sights one of mine. Was not sure if it could be done at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The recoil of my NEF's keeps my old heart pumpin'.

Reactions: priell3

·
Banned
22 Posts
I just picked up one of these from a local pawnshop yesterday for $119. Looks brand new, except someome had done a really fine job of checkering on forend and grip. My 9yo Grandson now has a .22 Crackshot, & a .410, and I am looking for a .30-.30 single shot and a 20g for a couple of years down the road.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
112.jpg

I got a 12ga New England, nice little handy shotgun but I tell it has some sure'nuff recoil when shooting Turkeyloads,OO Buckshot and Slugs! I been planning on buying recoil pad for it!

Reactions: priell3

·
Premium Member
11,744 Posts
I have a single shot 410 from my dad that I grew up with. I have killed many Armadillo's with it and a few snakes like this Water Moccasin that though my back yard was a good place to catch a snack. If you are looking for his head I can't help you as it was blow clean off.

mocassin 002.JPG

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a Topper 88 20 ga w/26" full choke barrel. I sent the barrel to Mike Orlen and had it threaded for tru lock chokes. Even the 20 ga kicks pretty hard cuz of the light weight. I trimmed my stock back a little, refit butt plate, then added a walmart limbsaver slip on (small size) so my length of pull with the recoil pad is 13 1/2". I'm 6'2" with long arms and this slightly shortened butt comes up to my shoulder lightning quick. This is my favorite shotgun.....Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Gunrunner, I am curious about the sights you put on yours. I have often thought about putting sights one of mine. Was not sure if it could be done at a reasonable price.
I'm curious about the sights too. I have a 410 that I can't hit the broadside of a barn with. The 410 barrel tapers so much in order to hit something the barrel bead has to be way below the line of sight over the chamber. I've thought about changing the front bead but can't find out how the stock bead attaches to source a replacement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts