Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's taken a while, but I finally got around to installing my Williams FP 336 sights and Skinner dovetail blanks. Great customer service those Skinner folks have, for sure! I wish they had a sight for my Marlin that I didn't have to drill holes for. On the barrel where the old open iron sights where located I have installed the Skinner Dovetail blank with a center screw hole designed to accept an extra Williams FP 336 Peep Sight. It looks great . . . I also have some of the Skinner Blue which I've yet to try . . . but I'm glad I have it . . .
Mark F. Sanderson

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Mark,

Great looking rifle... I love the old "Waffle Tops" even if they are not drilled and tapped for Skinners. We get Emails about every week asking for center to center hole spacing on our EXPRESS sights for folks that want to drill and tap their early Marlins. Our advice? DONT TO IT!!! Unless the gun is already compromised in several other areas, it would be a shame to drill holes in those pretty wavy lines.

However... For those who have a rifle that has already been drilled and tapped, and its NOT pretty... One of our EXPRESS sights or the Skinner "ALASKAN" can cover up a multitude of sins.

Someday we would like to come out with a sight that will mount using the orig. side holes on Marlins and Winchesters that is machined from solid steel. It will be a while, but we are certainly considering it!

Thanks for sharing the photos!

ANDY

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy,
I'd love to help with being a 'beta-tester' on that new sight!

Mark

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mark,

Beautiful rifle!

What are you feelings on how the Williams sight sticks out a bit on the sides of the receiver? I really want to try this sight on my 336 but want to make sure the sight won't be an issue the way it extends off the receiver a little.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Mark,

Beautiful rifle!

What are you feelings on how the Williams sight sticks out a bit on the sides of the receiver? I really want to try this sight on my 336 but want to make sure the sight won't be an issue the way it extends off the receiver a little.

Thanks!
Thanks! I purchased this sight because I shoot peep sites much better than the stock "semi-buckhorn" sights, and my older Marlin ( don't remember the cut-off year ) already has the screw holes drilled and tapped on the receivers left side, doesn't require holes to be drilled on the top, and its much more compact than a scope. I keep it in a sock and the sight really doesn't seem to get stuck on anything . . . the good certainly outweighs what little bad there is . . . .

Mark!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks Mark, you've convinced me and I just placed an order for one. :tee:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Paul,
Don't forget the dovetail blank from skinner - its very convenient to store a different size peep right on the rifle itself. I have two different size peeps, one better for lower light situations and for initial sight-in, and the other for target/brighter lighting. You won't have to fumble around looking for the other sight when its needed - it stays right on the firearm where the old sight was installed. Much more convenient, inexpensive and makes the firearm look sharp. Skinner ( and Brownells ) also have taller front sights as well. You'll probably need one of those, but I'd shoot it first and then buy if necessary. I believe that I purchased a 0.550" tall front sight; and I've got cranked nearly all the way down. Search here on the forum for reading up on the best way to approach sizing and installing a new front sight . . . I imagine that the Skinner folks would be helpful as well!

Have fun and shoot safe!

Mark

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Readers please remember.... Mark chose the side mounted peep sight since his rifle is a classic "Waffle Top" without holes drilled and tapped into the top of the receiver. We still recommend a more robust and MUCH sleeker built sight such as our EXPRESS (or any Skinner Peep Sight). We have dovetail blanks, extra apertures, front sights, tools for installation, great carrying cases for your rifles, etc. Please visit us at www.skinnersights.com to see more of our "Machined from Solid Steel, Stainless Steel, and Brass " (NO ALUMINUM) aperture/peep sights. MADE IN USA! Thanks, ANDY

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Readers please remember.... Mark chose the side mounted peep sight since his rifle is a classic "Waffle Top" without holes drilled and tapped into the top of the receiver. We still recommend a more robust and MUCH sleeker built sight such as our EXPRESS (or any Skinner Peep Sight). We have dovetail blanks, extra apertures, front sights, tools for installation, great carrying cases for your rifles, etc. Please visit us at www.skinnersights.com to see more of our "Machined from Solid Steel, Stainless Steel, and Brass " (NO ALUMINUM) aperture/peep sights. MADE IN USA! Thanks, ANDY
Parson,
Absolutely correct. I chose the Williams only because it doesn't require me to drill holes on the top. Currently, (and forever!) my 1950 Marlin does not have any holes of any kind on the top. I sure hope that I'll have a chance to 'test drive' skinners new sights - (hint hint!) . . . or when they become available!!!
Mark

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Thanks Mark, I'm working on one... (in my "spare" time of course!) Some of that spare time has been eaten up (read, each night for a couple hours after work) getting my 1895 Cowboy (cut to 20") dialed in for a BIG BORE SHOOT this weekend. Libby Montana, 30 rounds at simulated dangerous game targets and scenarios. Should be a great time. I'm using a 405 gr. Hard Cast loaded to "stiff" , Skinner WINGED rear sight (as a ghost ring, no aperture) and low and behold, it works with a standard .500" tall front sight. (moved rearward when I cut the barrel back). Its shooting "ok"... At 50 yards I'm grouping at 1 1/2" off hand. Should be just the ticket for shooting paper Elephants or rubber Grizzlies (not sure what the targets will be) Skinner Sights has been asked to set up a display of our products. We'll have about 20 test models on hand (everything from Marlins of several models and calibers to 10/22's, Ruger #1 and #3's, a Sabatti Double in 9.3 X 74R, 1957 Winchester 88, NEF Handy Rifle, Rossi Circuit Judge, Mod. 92, 1886 Winchester, etc etc... A full variety of our cases, the SightMark Mini Shot Red Dot (these have been selling like crazy) and much more.... It will be fun. Weather is supposed to be a cool upper 70's and dry. A good time should be had by all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Parson,
Very cool! I wish I could be there . . . especially with our San Antonio temps nearing 100F . . . Oof!

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts