Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finely made it to the range after my car accident 2 weeks ago T bone and flipped. l went to my club to sight it indoors off rest the gun worked flowerless loaded into chamber fired ejected nothing malfunctioned, as fast as l could work the action lead went down range.
Now the bad news, with sights set from factory out of box, target 15 yds down range and with a piece of cardboard 1 1/2 ft X 2 ft to hold my target centered l couldn't put a bullet hole on paper. after getting them on paper 75% of the bullets key holed at 15 yds and the tights group was 6".
I'm not asking for any advice, just want to show you what is out there beware of this late Marlins, my ser.# MR05322B, l read all the horror stores about them after Remington bough them, on a lot of sights, but l took a chance BIG mistake, i'm not new to guns l know how to make them shoot and get the must out of them be at it over 50 years and still learning.
l have a 1934 savage model 71 that will out shoot it and only payed 15.00 dollars in 1970.
Don,t get me wrong l always liked 39A and still want one but did they screw the new Models up, now l have to see that the gun store will do for me, and who will stand behind this gun being it is new,But might of been made in 2011, l could use help on this if some one had the same problem as me.

l moved the sights over as much as l could, rear sight to right short of falling off, front sight half way out of the dovetail to the left now this is the best it will do at 15 yrds. l tried every type of ammo from bulk to target ammo. same. Now pics.

unable to post pictures, have them in my PC but this site wont let me up load them right from my PC, l don't use photo buckit or any of those sites for posting pics on other sites what do l do, l just wanted to post them for other 39A buyer to be wear of that's out there and that i'm dealing with in a brand new gun.
target # 1 out of box and clean bore 7 o'clock off paper on lower left on cardboard w/one key hole.1 1/2 low and left.

marlin 39A key holer 3.jpg marlin 39A key holer 2.jpg marlin 39A key holer 1.jpg marlin 39A key holer 4.jpg

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
If I am not mistaken you were slinging led as fast as you could down range and are upset with the performance of your 39A. If I were you I would take my time and see how well you can shoot the same gun using good shooting form and skills. If it still shoots poorly I would then talk to the friendly folks at Marlin and see about sending the gun back to them. They will make it right if it is the gun. Best of luck to you and Happy shooting.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Reactions: kayaknjames

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
It's a Remlin!!!Could be a problem with the barrel.You can call customer service and they will have you send it for repair .I have heard both horror stories about their customer service and I have heard success stories.Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I am not mistaken you were slinging led as fast as you could down range and are upset with the performance of your 39A. If I were you I would take my time and see how well you can shoot the same gun using good shooting form and skills. If it still shoots poorly I would then talk to the friendly folks at Marlin and see about sending the gun back to them. They will make it right if it is the gun. Best of luck to you and Happy shooting.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2
All that shooting at the targets was done off a rest, What about the key holes there not suppose to tumble down range. my other statement was just to point out that it function as it should no problem with feeding or extracting. l do competition bench rest shooting my last outing l did .219 5 shot group at 100 yrds with my Rem 40 XBBR i'm not new to this game. l wanted the 39A to get into lever action silhouette shooting. It will go back to the store or to marlin, never did l buy a new gun that shot so bad, l guess they don't even test fire them any more. For a company that has been making guns for so long shame on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Remlin!!!Could be a problem with the barrel.You can call customer service and they will have you send it for repair .I have heard both horror stories about their customer service and I have heard success stories.Good luck and keep us posted.
You are right on booth counts, l read all this too and now l have to deal with this to, should of went with an old one. Will keep you posted on this site as to what happens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm with you lefty222. That's horrendous performance from what used to be a fantastic model rifle. Remington should be ashamed of what they've done to such an iconic firearm. From what I've heard lately, I think they may be trying to correct some of the problems they have been having with quality control, so I'll be very surprised if they don't ask you to send your rifle back to them for corrective action. I think you're right too in that your rifle should have been tested before letting it leave the factory, and obviously it wasn't. I can't imagine the real Marlin folks letting this happen. I hope it works out well for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts