Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so my wife just "bought for me" a new 336Y that I absolutely loooove, (and now have to pay for myself-funny how that works out) . I have been wanting a short bareled 30-30 for some time, so this scratched an bad itch, now I have another itch that needs scratching.....I want a short 45-70....I think I really prefer a 1895G over the other models. My best friend has the 95GBL, and I like it, but there is something about those smooth lines of a 95G that seems to suit me better. I am trying to find a decent price range for a 1895G....seems like the going price for a new one should be around $549-$599....I have seen a couple of used ones from individuals for $499, but sadly, I am a lay-away guy. All the reviews I have read have been 5* positive....so, with this information, here are my questions:

• Any issues I should be concerned with on a new 1895G?
  • Price points on a new 1895G ?
  • Should I worry about a ported 1895G? Report does not bother me.:biggrin: Hearing protection is my friend.
  • Availability of the weapon. I have not seen many around.

Just looking for some advice from my lever brothers

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Read the threads on the latest remlin quality it is all over this site. If you buy one (which I did) than make sure you are able to handle it, cycle it and inspect it before putting money on the table. other than that you are in the right price range depending on local market for new model remlins. Ported might be a bit harder to find and not sure they are in current production. the only 1895's I have seen in the stores are now laminate stocks so I would look for an older model JM stamp and ask long and hard enough one of these folks on this site might sell one. the come up fairly often, mostly when I do not have 2 nickels to rub together.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the 1895G is still in production, but I do not think there are many being produced; Are they going to the GBL solely? I see the G models allover the web: Buds Gun Shop, Gun Trader, etc....and most are in the same price range. I am not worried about handling recoil at all. I have been a shooter for over 40 years and have handled some guns with more than a smart recoil...and I am about 6'1 245. ....err ahh...:embarassed:yeah, I would like to be able to "handle" the gun before buying...as in check the action.
I was concerned that the ported model may be out of production, but still feel like a 95G will pop up somewhere locally so I put put it in lay away. Like you, I often do not have two nickles to rub together.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just remember that rifle powder is slow burning when compared to pistol powder, and the shorter your barrel, the quicker the bullet leaves it. This means that when cartridge manufacturers develop their loads using a 22" barrel (as most publish that they do), you lose power with a shorter barrel, as some powder burns after the bullet has already departed. Porting takes another 2" off. The remedy for this is handloading.

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hey welcome to the I wanna .45-70 club. The .45-70 is a great cartridge, & the Marlin 95 is a fantastic platform.
You need to decide what you like in a rifle, myself I like a 22" bbl & NO porting. A ported rifle would be a deal breaker for me.
Others love it.
Whatever you decide let us know. Marlin levers are great guns.

Reactions: Tom T.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just took delivery on a 1976 model 1895 in 45-70. I think I paid too much, but it's in new condition. Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 16.08.34.png My second 45-70. My first one is the single shot H&R Buffalo rifle for the primitive season down here. I like this round for its versatility. It's good for hogs or grizzly. I just ordered Skinner Alaskan sights for it, in black gold. A cross-block safety on a lever action would be the deal breaker for me. If I was forced to have one, I would solder it down.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Just took delivery on a 1976 model 1895 in 45-70. I think I paid too much, but it's in new condition. View attachment 101904 My second 45-70. My first one is the single shot H&R Buffalo rifle for the primitive season down here. I like this round for its versatility. It's good for hogs or grizzly. I just ordered Skinner Alaskan sights for it, in black gold. A cross-block safety on a lever action would be the deal breaker for me. If I was forced to have one, I would solder it down.

Tom, you don't have to solder them. Your local hardware store sells a variety of sizes of 0 rings. Find one that slips over the safety & fits in the groove, works fantasticly & if you need or want to put it back in working order just remove the 0 ring.
It's a quick, inexpensive, effective, nonpermanent, fix that's easily reversable. :proud:

Reactions: KEN CO

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just got a new GBL from Cabelas Canada sight unseen. The guy I ordered it from did say he would check it over before he sent it. It is not perfect but it is pretty darn good and functions perfectly. I am getting 1" 50 yard groups with 325 and 390 gn. gas checked cast bullets. Paid $639 Cdn( about 10% less than US $). I am quite sure that in 35 years this rifle will be serving whoever owns it then as well as my 1974 and 1976 336's serve me now. Goshawk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts