Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend, while browsing through a newly opened sporting goods store in the area, I saw this old fella sitting in the rack. Having a soft spot for 336s, I picked it up right away to see what kind of condition it was in. The bore seemed fine, and from what I could see in the store, the crown was ok so I hummed and hawed, cycled it a few times and put it back. The stock was dirty and dry, there was rust and pitting on the barrel and receiver, but the saddle ring and straight stock stuck with me. I put it back and went on my way, but I kept fussin over how I should have just bought it.
After heading home and doing some research to see if I could find out a little more about it, I decided to go back and buy it the following Wednesday. I'm glad I did. Its been cleaning up nice and I'm heading out this afternoon to do some shooting with it. I've got a feeling I won't be disappointed. I know its no museum piece, like I said, its pitted and worn but its got a hell of alot of character.
If any of you have any advice as to how I might continue to clean it up without changing things too much, feel free to chime in!
Thanks, Dave

DPP_022118.JPG DPP_022119.JPG DPP_022120.JPG DPP_022121.JPG DPP_022122.JPG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reactions: Jimbo45-70

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
...and some more:
DPP_022128.JPG
DPP_022131.JPG DPP_022130.JPG DPP_022129.JPG

I've been oiling the stock with some Hoppe's 9 lubricating oil and It seems to be doing the trick. I'm also gently scrubbed off most all of the rust spots with oil and a brass brush.

Reactions: Jimbo45-70

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
DD, That is a fine looking rifle. It just drips character. If it could only tell you where it's been.

Look in the reference/gunsmithing section for info on cleaning it up.

What year is it? (list is in the same section).

Let us know how she shoots.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and the last of them:

DPP_022132.JPG DPP_022133.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
very nice Texan! nice job!

·
Super Moderator
24,334 Posts
Looks like a 336 Texan to me. I'd shoot it, hunt with it and enjoy it like it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DD, That is a fine looking rifle. It just drips character. If it could only tell you where it's been.

Look in the reference/gunsmithing section for info on cleaning it up.

What year is it? (list is in the same section).

Let us know how she shoots.
Well from the ADXXXXX serial # I beleive it was manufactured in the earlier part of 1968.
And you can count on a range report!
Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
'Das a purdy ol' gal... just needs a little luvin'.

·
Registered
15,595 Posts
Nice. Very nice. The lack of wear on the buttplate tells me it wasn't shot that much. Maybe stored in a hunting cabin? Glad it's cleaning up. Looks great. Range report?

Rob

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
I see your Texan was made in the old plant in New Haven. Mine was made in 1969 in North Haven. I like the saddle ring, but if you like them you're limited to 1965 to 1971.

I wouldn't use gun oil on the wood. It will darken, and soften the wood. There are people on here that know far more about woodworking than I do.

Have fun with your "new" Texan.

Terry

·
Registered
370 Posts
She's a beautiful old survivor for sure, and I for one appreciate all the great pictures!

All I can say is be careful if you go further with rust removal and don't follow my rookie example. I thought I'd try a little Brasso and wound up removing a good amount of bluing along with the rust.

I don't know, I'm beginning to think that no more rust than what's on your gun should maybe just be kept oiled and considered patina. Although I would personally be appreciative of a thorough sticky tutorial on how to do it. Come to think of it, maybe I should look in case there already is one...

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
I use 0000 steel wool and oil. Lightly rub the rust away. Go slow, it's alot easier to take off blueing than it is to put it back on!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very nice rifle. Lot's of character without being beat up. You dun good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very nice, Great find neighbor....:congrats:...I also have a '68 336 in 30-30 with the Speigel stock....... 002.JPG 003.JPG These are some Sweet Rifles......

·
Registered
56 Posts
"I've been oiling the stock with some Hoppe's 9 lubricating oil and It seems to be doung the trick."

Well, at least you will never have to worry about the stock rusting......:flute:

That IS beautiful grain in the stock.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts