Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd show this off. I started with a 14" Mill file and originally had intended to make a general purpose camp knife in the 5-6" range. Once I started grinding though I realized that this piece of steel was not going to be a 6" blade. What I ended up with was a 8.25" blade. The handle is red oak and the guard was ground from a piece of 1/4" thick steel. The Pins are all brass 1/8" in the guard and 1/4" in the handle. As I was making the knife I decided I wanted it to look a little rough and not so polished that I would never use it. Got down to 600 grit on the blade and stopped there, I can always polish it out more later if I decide to. The guard however I left pretty rough just because I like the way it looked. By the way I think I can officially say that this will be the last guard I make myself, it took forever to get that guard to fit right and there's still one little spot where the fit isn't perfect and it irritates me a little. Took it on a 4 day camping trip and it performed every task I asked of it with no issues. I even tried a little chopping with it and it did very well. The weight of this knife makes it a very good chopper even though I don't believe that knives should ever really be used as chopping tools except as a last resort. Eh, enough talk, here it is:

Stu

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Nice knife for the heavy work. Nothing wrong with chopping as long as you are chopping on wood. Thats one of the reasons you would have a knife that size with you in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Good looking knife. Looks like it is ready for anything. Nice job. Shenandoah

Reactions: Stu925

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's a good job! I made knives for 5 years and there's nothing wrong with that - good looking and useful!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I like it!! Ready for anything that comes your way

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Very nice work! Looks like a near perfect camp knife!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That's a good looking knife, I myself like the rough look of it.

Reactions: Stu925 and turbobug

·
Registered
356 Posts
Great job!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts