Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I just purchased two rifles from my Great Uncle.
This one is my first Remington rifle.
It is a model 550 semi auto it is a beautiful firearm.
View attachment 727254 View attachment 727256
Love my Remington 700BDL. It's amazing that Remington could produce such high-quality guns, then ruin Marlins. And their .22 ammo... [turns away to gag] How can they make the most accurate bullets (168gr boat tail hollowpoint national match) I've ever shot out of my 700 and ALSO make Thunderbolts?

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
that is a very good gun you have! correct me please if I a wrong. that would be a "550-1" I have two of them. I have my daddy's that he bought in 57 and mine I bought used in 75 man if they could tell the stories how we both used them. my daddy killed more ***** and squirrels and deer with his than a van truck could haul. yes I said deer,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
6,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Olskool how do i tell if it is a 550-1?
I kind of went all kid at christmas so i did not notice all of details yet.

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
it will say 550-1 on the left side of the barrel I believe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
that gun will shoot anything you feed it, from CB caps up to long rifle, dose yours still have the spent case deflector on the right side? it mounted with a slot and a small screw on the top of the receiver. a lot of them got taken off or lost,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
6,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Olskool what year is a YY barrel code?
It is a walnut stock.
Cant believe the craftsmanship that went into an econo 22.
This thing is stoutly built.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Problem with this forum and these kind of threads/posts is that you find yet another rimfire you "NOW" need to add to your collection.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Nice rifle made back when Remington still cared about what they put their name on. You most likely already know this but the reason that it will function with almost any load is a floating chamber so you have to be a little more diligent about cleaning it. My late friend had one just like it and I told his widow to hold on to it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I do not refinish Heirloom guns unless absolutely needed.
Part of the fun is holding it as it was when your forefathers handled it.
I don't either. This one I bought a few years ago from a pawnshop. It needed it. I have my Dad's 1940 Remington 510 targetmaster (that I grew up shooting) that he bought for $12 in the early 50's. I cleaned it and didn't change anything. It has a beautiful brown tone on the metal and an old walnut stock that is one of a kind. It has a giant knot in the forearm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.