Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thrilled to finally own a 1980 Marlin 336 in 30-30. I got this a couple of weeks ago and have spent some personal time with it getting it ready to go. The wood was good but the finish was very worn. I stripped the old finish and went back with Danish oil. I totally disassembled the rifle and scrubbed years of buildup off the internals. I had to order a few screws to get it back to it's original assembly. It's ready for the range, now. I'm planning to take it out tomorrow to see what it likes. I have Rem Corelocks in 150 and 170, Hornady LEs in 160 and Fed Fusion in 150. All I could find local. I have Fed Bluebox in 150 and 170 on the way from Midway and should get that next week, along with reloading dies.

EDITED TO FIX PHOTOS

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Nice rifle Chiwawa. And a well done tune up inside and out. The finish you applied to the furniture gives it that experienced look. I hate to see a rifle that has some age that sports a shiny store fresh appearance. This one now looks well cared for and exercised. Good luck putting it to use.

FWIW, the 2006 that is gone, and the two 30-30 Texans we have shoot the Federal blue box 150's very well and the LE is right there with the blue box. They are both spitting jacketed handloads a bit faster and just as accurately at the present. I'm working toward a Ranch Dog 165RNFP load, if I ever get time to cast some.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Very nice rifle!! My 1971 Glenny loves 170gr Federal SuperX. Wally World here sells them for 17$ box. I also loaded up some Hornady FHs with Varget and they shoot just as good. :tee:

·
Registered
964 Posts
THAT'S nice, nice dark natural stock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My youngest son (19) wants me to deer hunt with him this season. I have an 1894 Cowboy LTD in 45 Colt I thought about developing a load for but then decided I NEEDED a 336 in 30-30. I had several shotguns in my safe and put an 870 up for trade and a local guy had this Marlin. We met up and both were satisfied.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THAT'S nice, nice dark natural stock.
Yeah, turned out pretty nice. I used Watco Danish in natural. I'm not a fan of glossy finishes, so this turned out just right for me.

The photos don't show it well but there are spots of the brown patina on the metal that look really cool, too.

Reactions: kraynky

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The Danish oil was a very nice touch...Good job.

As for ammo choices, every rifle can be a bit different. The one thing that my all 30-30 Marlins have in common is how they shoot the heavier 170gr bullets. I seem to get my best groups with them, more specifically the 170gr Federal Power Shock (Blue Box) round nose. The irony is that this Blue Box ammo is as hard hitting as most, yet one of the lesser expensive 30-30 ammunitions on the market.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From everything I've read, you don't really have to reload the 30-30 for deer hunting. There are lots of great factory options available for decent prices. I just like reloading and would like to play around with some lower velocity, lead bullet options for range shooting. I've accumulated several powders to test with. What's a good lead bullet in the 110-125 grain profile to start with? I don't cast, so I'll have to find a source, too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, thanks everyone for the compliments on the rifle and wood refinish. I love fooling with older firearms and putting a little personal touch to them. It's funny how as I get older I find myself more and more appreciating these pieces of history.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Okay, a couple of more questions. I have the 1894 Cowboy LTD and I bought it used with a Marbles tang sight. I really like that sight but they are expensive. I was thinking about the Lyman's tang sight for the 336. The latest one appears it installs without having to D&T the tang. I know that sight doesn't adjust for windage. I'm guessing you'd have to drift your front sight, if needed. Is that true? Also, does the stock front sight work with the Lyman's? My 1894 also had the front sight changed.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Good looking job on those stocks. You just got to love them pre safety Marlins. Oh by the way . Hello from Huntsville Alabama.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Congrats,
that’s a fine lookin’ rifle

·
Registered
990 Posts
From everything I've read, you don't really have to reload the 30-30 for deer hunting. There are lots of great factory options available for decent prices. I just like reloading and would like to play around with some lower velocity, lead bullet options for range shooting. I've accumulated several powders to test with. What's a good lead bullet in the 110-125 grain profile to start with? I don't cast, so I'll have to find a source, too.
There are a lot of choices out there. Currently I am working on a load that a couple of other members on here have had really good results with, accurate and will drop a deer out to 200 yds and beyond. Sierra bullets, pro-hunter 125 gn flat nose, .308 dia. Combined with Hodgdon BL-C(2) powder. I have not quite gotten a load that my 336 in 30-30 really likes yet, still in progress. I have some Sierra 110 gn bullets also, thinking along the lines of varmite/yote loads. Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: duxnbucks
1 - 20 of 38 Posts