Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently got the itch to try my hand at leatherwork so I did a bunch of research and found that a stitching pony would make hand stitching a whole lot easier. I priced them out on line and then decided to try and build one myself out of some scrap lumber I had laying around. Most of the lumber was milled out of a 4x6(ish) piece of rough cut pine of some sort. The wood came from a crate that a large machine was shipped in. Unfortunately the piece was not straight or square so I had to do some fiddling to get the jaws to line up. You'll notice the hinge side is actually set back from the edge of the bottom plate a bit, it looks worse in the picture than it really is though, might be off by 1/4" but really I doubt it's even that much. My only cash layout for this thing was for the bolt, washer, wingnut and hinge so I've got less than $10 into it. The finish is 50/50 minwax cherry/natural stain followed up with wipe on polyurethane.

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Looks good. I made one a while back and have modified it 2-3 times. Not nearly as nicely put together as yours.

Reactions: Stu925

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I imagine if I stick with the leatherworking I'll probably want to change things a bit but it should do nicely to get me started. I'm pretty happy with it and was glad to use up some scrap lumber to get it done.

Stu

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
That's a really nice stitching pony. I have always wanted one but refused to pay Tandy Leather's ridiculous price. I think I will copy yours if you don't mind. How wide would you say it is?

Reactions: Stu925

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a really nice stitching pony. I have always wanted one but refused to pay Tandy Leather's ridiculous price. I think I will copy yours if you don't mind. How wide would you say it is?
By all means go right ahead. I went a little wide with it because I planned on making a couple holster and I figured I could always mill it down if necessary but I couldn't add on to it. I went 5" wide and it stands about 16.5" high, the bottom board is 18" long. I looked at one design that incorporated a swivel into the clamp but didn't want to over complicate my build so I permanently affixed mine. I have no idea why Tandy charges so much for theirs, this one took me about a day to build including staining and finishing. I really need to invest in a planer one of these days it would certainly have made truing everything up a lot easier.

Sinbad, thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of the scrap leather.

Stu

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Nice handy work. Now you will have to post some of you stitching handy work after you use the pony.

Nice Photo
Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
It's essentially a clamp to hold the leather piece. You put this on a chair, then sit on it with your legs on the flat part and the arm or pony between your legs. The jaws should be right at a good working height so you can saddle stitch with both hands free. Most designs are complex to build but this one is ingenious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.