Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ordered a 45-70 SBL from a GB dealer about ten days ago. I became "EXTREMELY" concerned when I heard about all the QC issues with the new Marlingtons. This is not a hunting rifle for me, I will use it while hiking and camping in the Cascade Mountains and in British Columbia and although chances of a dangerous encounter my be slim, sh!t still can happen. The dealer I purchased the rifle from was well aware of the QC issues with the latest Marlins and when I explained that this was a true "protection brush gun", he pulled the box from his warehouse and gave it a very close inspection to ensure that I would not be disappointed.

I was actually dreading the arrival of the 45-70 Remington with all the negative posts I have read on MO but I have to admit that I might very well have gotten very lucky and received one of the good ones. XS ghost sight rail and front sight are perfectly aligned on the barrel, the magazine tube is perfectly aligned with the barrel, receiver and barrel are not offset at all. I cycled 30 rounds (hornady's through her but for brush protection, I will be going much hotter), and it performed flawlessly with no jamming issues whatsoever. Lever action was stiff at first but I did not break down the rifle for a good cleaning first (my normal standard procedure). Trigger pull was surprisingly crisp with absolutely no creeping at all and maybe a 3lb pull without the installation of WW trigger kit which I ordered and was ready to install.

I may actually have a winner here but proof is in the pudding once I take it to the range and put rounds down range. As a brush gun I just need 3-4 inch accuracy at 100 yards with iron sights and dead on accuracy at 50 yards.

Could I be one of the very few lucky one's that actually received a decent 45-70 SBL Marlington????? Will include a range report when I can.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I was thinking the same things about my GBL. I did the minor tune up stuff to start, and will follow the major tuneup outlined here......

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/tuning_m_1894.htm

We're going out tomorrow morning to chrono the BVAC rounds and double check accuracy with a second experienced shooter on the 1895. Plus some fun with an M1A and a JC Higgins model 50 in 270 Win ;D Gonna be a good Day! :p

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Lets hope at least one of us got a good one from Marlington. Mine went to Alaska to get hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of work done to it to make it what it should have been from the factory.

Doc

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Jonny V said:
I was thinking the same things about my GBL. I did the minor tune up stuff to start, and will follow the major tuneup outlined here......

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/tuning_m_1894.htm

We're going out tomorrow morning to chrono the BVAC rounds and double check accuracy with a second experienced shooter on the 1895. Plus some fun with an M1A and a JC Higgins model 50 in 270 Win ;D Gonna be a good Day! :p
Johnny--

I'm using the BVAC ammo also but don't have a chrono--would you please post your results--I'd be interested to see how close they shoot compared to what they're advertised.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
This has come up before and I am going to post. It seems like most here feel that the recoil from the standard BVAC load (405 gr lead rn at a published 1600 fps) doesn't wash. My range has chronos for rent for a few bucks, and we are gonna check it out.........

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Neptune, sorry to go off of the thread topic, but I was just curious where you got your avatar? It's really cool! :eek:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DDS444 said:
Neptune, sorry to go off of the thread topic, but I was just curious where you got your avatar? It's really cool! :eek:
Wish I could remember, found it on the web years ago and have been using it ever since.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
It's beyond me why with all the info on this site anyone should have to go to the Marauders website to figure how to smooth out their rifle! I noticed the extractor fix for 1894's that I came up with and posted here over a year and a half ago http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,58595.0.html has appeared on the Marauder site.

I figured that one out from coming up with the 336/1895 extractor fix http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,51618.0.html which smooths feeding issues on these rifles. Lot's of good info on this site! Rant over! ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts