Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not new to Rugers, this is my 4th single action Ruger. I am relatively new to handgun shooting in general at least compared to rifle shooting. But with my New Model Blackhawk .44 SPCL Flattop, I found out I can shoot tight groups from a handgun! I love this thing it's a dream to shoot.

This target was 20 yrds from an improvised rest. It was shot while I was sighting it in and was my best group. Most of my other groups weren't much bigger. Once sighted in, I moved back to 25 yrds and shot it off hand. My groups looked nice from there as well.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Nice group! Nice Ruger! :)

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Belt - What load were you using? I have the 5 1/2 inch barrel model, 250 empty R-P cases and 500 Oregon Trail lead bullets. Thinking of using a moderate load using Unique powder. (Unique because I have a bit of it on hand). Can't argue with your target though, nice shooting. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
If there's ever gonna be a single-action gun in my stable again, that would likely be the one. Nice shooting!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shenandoah said:
Belt - What load were you using? I have the 5 1/2 inch barrel model, 250 empty R-P cases and 500 Oregon Trail lead bullets. Thinking of using a moderate load using Unique powder. (Unique because I have a bit of it on hand). Can't argue with your target though, nice shooting. Shenandoah
Glad you asked! Your gonna love this:

I was itchin' to shoot shoot my new gun and hadn't even bought the dies for it yet. So I went an bought the crappiest ammo around, BVAC. They were 240 gr lead SWC, which is nice but I've had horrible experience with this ultra cheap ammo company in the past. I bought them because I love Starline brass! $25 for 50 so I bought two boxes -all they had. I figured 100 Starline cases was a good reloading start any how. Needless to say I was very pleased with the ammo. It was not near as smoky or dirty as their lead .357 or .38 loads. And much more accurate. I would definitely buy more of this stuff. I will say that my barrel showed signs of leading early on -and through out the day. But the accuracy stayed!

So now I have the dies and 100 pieces of brass. But I don't cast my own yet! It's hard to find a Keith style .44 that isn't too hard for the pressures I'll be loading. I want to shoot the Skeeter load of 7.5 gr of Unique but most commercial cast .44's are hard enough for magnum pressures. I'd also like to have some factory style loads of 6 gr Unique. So while I shop for cast, I picked up some jacketed Hornady 240 gr XTP's. I've loaded them behind 6.0 gr Unique for now but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

I've heard good things about Dry Creek for cast .44's on the Ruger forums. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Nice shootin' Ruger. How can one not like a .44 Special on the Ruger .357 Blackhawk frame?

I've had no dealings with Dry Creek, but I've had excellent results with Beartooth Bullet's Keith and Keith/Thompson style SWCs.

Roe

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Barenjager said:
Nice shootin' Ruger. How can one not like a .44 Special on the Ruger .357 Blackhawk frame?

I've had no dealings with Dry Creek, but I've had excellent results with Beartooth Bullet's Keith and Keith/Thompson style SWCs.

Roe
Roe,
Wow, I had no idea you knew Latin. I haven't seen that much Latin since I was at Seton Hall with all my Roman Catholic instructors. The Rugers may be more utilitarian than the S&W's in the looks dept., but they sure are functional.

DDS, is that a Charlie Russell for your avatar?

Oh well, what the heck, let's bring out my 2 latest Rugers since we are talking about those .44/45 calibers. The blue one is the .45 LC and the SS is a .44 Mag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Ah - ANOTHER convert!!!! I love to see the reactions to this gun! Have ALWAYS wanted one, and finally got the Lipsey w/ 4 5/8" bbl. LOVE it! I do not leave the truck going into the woods w/o it on my hip - ever!

Can't help with commercial cast bullets, as I cast my own. I have finally cast some 255 Keith's from a new MiHec mold - can't wait to load/shoot them.

Have been shooting some other 240 grainers. The 7.5 grn Unique Skelton load is good, but check out Brian Pierce's loads (Handloader Mag) with Power Pistol. My 44 SPC loves this powder. 7.2 and 8.5 grns, as I recall - BUT CHECK and CONFIRM!!!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Barenjager said:
How can one not like a .44 Special on the Ruger .357 Blackhawk frame?
Yeah and these New Model Flattops are packed with features:

Steel grip frame (XR3)
Steel ejector rod housing
Flattop cylinder frame
And best of all, the reverse indexing pawl!!

None of those features are found on normal New Model Blackhawks. It really is the best of both worlds. Old Models and New Models combined.

My custom grips are supposedly almost here, I'll be sure to post new pictures when they arrive.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I found that all of 'our' past and present Ruger single action firearms in various calibers shot straight and were straight shooters from the gitgo. They are wonderful handguns in my not so humble opinion.

Congrats on your new gun and may she serve you well.

Catherine

·
Registered
527 Posts
Very nice Blackhawk. I myself was pondering the purchase of a .44 SPL, however I decided to with the other handgun connoisseur cartridge the .41 magnum. The only reason I picked the .41 over the .44 SPL is I have reloading components for the .41 already. It should be here for to pick up in a few days.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Catherine said:
They are wonderful handguns in my not so humble opinion.
I love a confident woman. :D

Belt-Feeder, what other calibers are your Ruger SA's chambered for?

336A, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the new 41 Mag, is a new production model or a veteran?

And speaking of Veterans, let's all remind those around us (who might have forgotten) what we're celebrating tomorrow! 8)

·
Registered
527 Posts
papajohn it is a new production model with a 4 5/8" bbl. I hope that it impresses me the way Belt-Feeder's has done for him.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
DDS, is that a Charlie Russell for your avatar?
Nope drjjpdc, it done by Clark Kelley Price. Its entitled "Bear Country".

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
papajohn said:
I love a confident woman. :D

Belt-Feeder, what other calibers are your Ruger SA's chambered for?

336A, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the new 41 Mag, is a new production model or a veteran?

And speaking of Veterans, let's all remind those around us (who might have forgotten) what we're celebrating tomorrow! 8)
Good post PJ. I was going to go the range today (Memorial Day) and then reconsidered. I got to thinking of the service family's that may have lost a family member or friend to gunfire and just thought that may not be the right thing to do on Memorial Day. Maybe I am being too sensitive or old fashioned, but that is my take. Think I will visit the local Veterans National Cemetery instead (actually in Roseburg a few miles South of here).

Salute to all the veterans and especially to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice; and to all those now on active duty around the world. God bless ya!

CJ

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
DDS444 said:
Nope drjjpdc, it done by Clark Kelley Price. Its entitled "Bear Country".
Thanks, DDS I love Cowboy paintings, but I can only afford prints.
John

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
No problem drjjpdc. I really like them as well. And like you I can only afford the prints. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts