Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this Ruger American in .22 long rifle. She wears a laminate wood stock, 10 round rotary magazine and has a heavy threaded barrel. I have a suppressor on it along with a Nikon scope.
The scope is 2-7x32 and has a BDC reticle. It came with two elevation turrets, one calibrated for ammo between 1200 - 1300 FPS and the other for 1500 - 1640 FPS.
My primary use for this will be varmint control and tree rats (squirrels).

DF17C3A3-DF7A-452E-A82A-63770B175489.jpeg D26A1804-F212-4635-8595-97F14EA19176.jpeg 9665E636-18AF-4954-9E79-89A382CC232E.jpeg
6DBF12F3-D900-4104-B895-3BB6180C3464.jpeg DA81F324-BAB2-48C4-9ED1-8C700FE1EE1F.png

·
Banned
2,162 Posts
Gun buddy of mine just got one exactly like it (minus the glass). Very nice looking piece and it uses 10/22 magazines.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I hear those really shoot good. I bought a CZ before they came out. I have the same scope though. I think it is a great all round 22 scope.

Reactions: Kendawg

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Good looking rifle you got. I would be interested in your range report particularly at 50 yards. What brand of suppressor is that?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good looking rifle you got. I would be interested in your range report particularly at 50 yards. What brand of suppressor is that?
I hope to get out this weekend to sight in. Its been so windy here lately, hope it dies down. The suppressor is from Tactical Inovations. I’ve fired the rifle with it and subsonic ammo, sounds like a pellet gun!

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same rifle, I picked it up about 2 months ago and put a Prostaff 3-9x40 scope on it and removed the trigger spring. It now has about 1000 rounds through it. Mostly CCI Quiet at my home range, 23 yards. It shoots almost as good as my rimfire CZ’s. First image is my CZ 455 Thumbhole second is the RAR Target.
Work has been crazy lately but I have all next week off and am planning on some serious range time and ammo testing on the RAR and my new .308 Savage. DT

t2.JPG t1.JPG

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same rifle, I picked it up about 2 months ago and put a Prostaff 3-9x40 scope on it and removed the trigger spring. It now has about 1000 rounds through it. Mostly CCI Quiet at my home range, 23 yards. It shoots almost as good as my rimfire CZ’s. First image is my CZ 455 Thumbhole second is the RAR Target.
Work has been crazy lately but I have all next week off and am planning on some serious range time and ammo testing on the RAR and my new .308 Savage. DT

View attachment 590833 View attachment 590849
Thats some nice grouping right there with both rifles.

Funny thing is, I was looking at getting the CZ 455 Varmint tacticool and ended up with the RAR at the last minute because they had it on hand at my LGS. I’m looking forward to getting some down range with it. Going to run sub sonics through it and some CCI stingers.
Thanks for posting your feedback!

·
Premium Member
16,648 Posts
Hey Ken,

You get bored with that ............just send it here!

Watch out for them tree rats..........some tough customers...

Fine looking "Mr. Quiet .22"!!
Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha ha thanks for having my back Mark!!! Love to know this Marlin crowd is here for support!

·
Premium Member
16,648 Posts
Hey Ken,

Fixin' to have a "plague" on them tree rats.............. They are mighty "uppity"............

Later, Mark

·
Banned
2,162 Posts
Try some CCI SV.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to the range this week, bore sighted the scope with a laser and started sending some CCI Stingers to a 25 yard target, then the 50 yard target. The target below was at 50 yards and has half inch squares. After this target I moved on to the 200 yard gong and got some good hits on that, was hard to hear with hearing protection on. I was shooting without the suppressor on because I wasn’t in my home state.
Next time out I’ll try the ballistic circles at different ranges to see how close they are. I like the setup, the optics are clear and I had no failures to feed or eject. Had three people fire it including myself, we fired 200 rounds total with no issues.

5FDE9C4C-BFE5-4B84-BA50-EB113B61DD12.jpeg

·
Banned
2,162 Posts
It's a rarity to hear Stingers having any amount of accuracy.

Reactions: Kendawg and biku324

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
Yup. I used one box and didn't bother anymore. Even the cheap Remington and Wildcats worked much more accurately for me.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
My SIL has Ruger American, we put a 3x9 Nikon on it and tuned it in 40yds. Shooting Win HPs it will shoot into a nickel. I have a 77/22 that was bought when they first hit the market and it too out shoots a lot of more expensive rifles. The Ruger American is a
good rifle for the money. My SIL has a 22/250 Ruger American, the synthetic stock model and it shoots 1" at 100yds with Rem factory
ammo. It is ugly but it is a shooter.

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Hmm this is interesting. I didn't know Ruger made this model and am always looking for more suppressor hosts.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ll definitely try some different ammo next time out, see if I can tighten things up a bit. There’s a big sporting store on my way to this range with a wide variety of ammo choices. I’ll post a few more targets here afterwards.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My tree rat rifle is a new (just over a year ago) Ruger M77/22. It puts five shots into one ragged hole at squirrel range. It has a Leupold 3-9X on it.

Reactions: Drm50 and Kendawg

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The scope I have is the Nikon P-Rimfire 150 BDC, 1-7x32. I don’t have as much magnification as you guys so it becomes a stretch at 150 yards. Most of my shots will be at 50 yards or less with an occasional out to 75 yds.
Any further than that and I switch to my .17HMR

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
image.jpeg
My tree rat rifle is a new (just over a year ago) Ruger M77/22. It puts five shots into one ragged hole at squirrel range. It has a Leupold 3-9X on it.
I've got a couple dozen 22 rifles, all good older Marlins, Wins & Rems. My serious hunting 22 was a Ruger 10/22 that I bought back
in 60s. When 77/22 came out I bought one and put a 4x Redfield scope on it and it has become my serious 22. It shoots as good or
better than Rem 541 or the remake of the Win 52 Sporter. I shot some rimfire silo with it and it held its own with Finn Fires and
assorted other high end 22s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts