Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my '97, but decided I wanted another rifle that I was more comfortable shooting regularly. I considered getting a recently made 39A, but I just prefer old stuff.

So I found a case hardened Marlin 39A from about 1940. It is the second-variation with B prefix and 3 digit serial number.

Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Revolver

Lots more pictures here:
Marlin 39A

The stock finish on this rifle isn't in fantastic condition, so I've been considering restoring it. I mean stripping the lacquer and applying a new coat. No sanding or repairs of dings or anything like that. And maybe I'd clean up some of the screw heads. I still want it to be an "old rifle", just one with a nice clear coat and screw heads.
Would restoring the stock and screws be a mistake on this rifle? I wouldn't want to substantially hurt it's collectible status.

Carl

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Looks really good to me. I'd leave it alone; I'm a year older than that rifle and I have no intention of doing anything to restore my tired stock finish and banged up screw slots...Took both me and your rifle about three quarters of a century to look the way we do. Your rifle is in much better shape!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Iwould use just some citris cleaner on the wood,clean metal and oil her up ...... My 1945 was in WAY worst shape than yours ...... My stock and forgrip where both cracked and had nails holding it together ....... Yours is beautful

·
Registered
86 Posts
It looks very nice, I would leave as is and just preserve the finish. As nice as the metal parts look, as soon as you refinish the wood the metal won't look so nice. It all matches now, enjoy it as is it's a fantastic usable collectors piece.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am going to say leave it alone too. That is the condition the journey has left it in. Looks great.

I DO believe it would hurt the value to mess with it. Next guy will likely love it too, with the additional character you put on it..

There are ones out there that need some messing with, but I do not think yours is one of them..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Things always look better in the pictures. ;-)
I had posted earlier about this when I only had a few pictures of the wood, and in another forum I found some great help on how to restore the stock. Again, I would not completely refinish it, I am only talking about replacing the top clear coat of lacquer. I would leave all the dents and marks. Here a closeup of the issue, lots of the original clear coat is gone:

Brown Wood Wood stain Pattern Space

That said, these things are only original once. There is no real harm in delaying the decision. Is there anyone out there who thinks I should strip the clear coat and replace it?
Carl

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Hi Carl,
when you talk about preserving collector condition, then you really cannot "touch" the original without hurting that value - if you want to keep and hunt with it, and the current condition bothers you, than by all means refinish the varnish! enjoy and shoot, but don't think by not sanding out some small deviations you will somehow preserve the original value... a collector bases his choice on original condition, which includes all imperfections "to date"
shoot straight, gewehr

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice gewehr. I guess I was thinking that most collectors might want something nicer than this. I mean at some point for a rifle that isn't super rare, if the finish is bad enough that the value probably up with some nice conservation. But it sounds like this one is worth keeping as is. :) Saves me some work too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.