Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for adding me to group. My sweet shooting 39A led me to get another Marlin. This one caught my eye so I won it off a auction 18329%20-%201_zpsn7sipkf6.jpg 18329%20-%2012_zpsbkwfcryp (3).jpg 18329%20-%2013_zpsneladhvx (4).jpg 18329%20-%2011_zpsi6xs7o2e (2).jpg 18329%20-%208_zpsqbxr9qlg.jpg this one was done less than one month before John Marlin died in 1901, it's all blued the action feels brand new. The guys at the local gun shop said if it has been re-blued it's a damn nice job and they think the wood is Birdseye maple the only thing wrong is a split in the stock which to me shows its age. I will check the stock for #s but the screws look new and I am going to wait until I have it appraised any idea on what it may be worth if all original, or if you have seen any like this one let me know. Thanks in advance. 26'' octagon,

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Indiana!!! Nice lookin old rifle, haven't seen one like that!!! Worth??? Thanks for the pics!!!!:)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
not to be a curt but it's worth what someone will pay??? it looks nice but it looks reblued to me. i like the wood, it dose look like maple.

Reactions: Oregunyun

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Welcome to a wonderful and friendly group. Yours is a most outstanding rifle. One? What is the barrel length? In the photos, it looks to be unusually long.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Welcome from southeast Wisconsin. Great looking gun ya got there!

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Beautiful rifle! You done real good on that one. I'll ask, because we're all curious, what was the final price? I personally do not believe the blue would survive over 100 years in that condition and agree it must have been re-blued at some point. It's obviously worth what you paid for it to you. All that matters. Restoring a firearm to its days of glory is where my head is at. Most of us will never own a firearm such as the one used to shoot Lincoln. That history must remain untouched. But the rest... ?

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice looking rifle you got there too. Enjoy...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Looks nice! Welcome from Colorful Colorado!

·
Premium Member
15,348 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners,
A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

·
Premium Member
15,348 Posts
Congrats,
that’s a good lookin’ rifle

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I am not usually a fan of birds-eye maple, but that is due to most of it being left unstained, and your's has a nice color to it. The stock has an old look to it and metal is proud in spots so I do not think it is a recent job. I believe the action should be color cased too.
Still it is a nice rifle and to get one to that condition without the skills to polish metal and refinish stocks you did alright. Enjoy it.
Welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana.

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That's one beautiful rifle you got there, I really like the birds eye maple, oh and welcome to the forum :)

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! Thanks for the pics of a beautiful Marlin. John

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts