Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new-to-me Marlin model 410 lever and couldn't be happier. I haven't fired it yet but she is a sweetie....... Traded whapmaster for it, he picked up my 1894P (or will when it gets to his FFL next week).

Anyway, here are some pics to share.

I plan to do some squirrel (squak) and rabbit hunting over the next two months. I would really like to hear from other Marlin 410 owners on their thoughts for this gun. Ever since I read an ad for one a couple of years ago I just had to have one. If you have one, what shot works best for you and what do you hunt with it?

Excited to say the least!

1895gunner

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sweet!That shotgun is on my want list.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had one for a couple of years. Hunted with it for the first time last week. shot a squirrel at about 10-15 yards, aimed at his nose (he was sitting still) and only put about 12 pellets (#6) in him. They sprayed all down his body, did not really hurt meat at all. Curious as to effectiveness at 20-25 yds. Did sight it in with Remington slugs and at 50 yds was very accurate (shooting offhand) five shot group about 1.5". Like the fiber optic front sight, and it handles well. Good luck with yours.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Tell us what you plan to do with it.

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I shot mine at the range this past weekend at 15 and 25 yards with 6 shot. 25 yards was not too impressive however at 15 yards this thing is great for rabbit, squirrel and game bird if you are quick and accurate. Off on a squirrel hunt on the 14th!

1895gunner

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Mines been in the safe from the day after patterning. Its no good for game past 20 yards because of the cylinder bore. I got 2 pellets of 6's on a squirrel target at 25 yards and 3 pellets of 7 1/2's at same distance. Unfotuately on my farm the squirrels sit in the oaks about 40 yards up.

Mine is the XLR and its very heavy for a 410! Too heavy. I go back and forth between sending it to briley for choke tubes or sending it to Turnbull to become a 50 alaskan XLR.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I shot mine at the range this past weekend at 15 and 25 yards with 6 shot. 25 yards was not too impressive however at 15 yards this thing is great for rabbit, squirrel and game bird if you are quick and accurate. Off on a squirrel hunt on the 14th!

1895gunner
Unfortunatley mine is one of those never fired in a safe.Ha Ha.

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to pick up some different loads and try her back on the range to see what I get. Pretty happy with the 6 shot so far but I need to know how the rest pattern, right?:biggrin: After this last Sunday I might take a week or two off. I shot too much if that is possible.

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I don't really think that the Marlin 410 bore shotgun was made for shot shells. I believe it was intended for slugs for the areas that are shotgun only. If they were intended to be used for shot shells it would have been made with a set of chokes or fixed full choke. If it was made in a 20 gauge I would have bought one a long time ago, for in my state (NYS) 410 bore is illegal for big game and turkey. But if you mold 410 slugs and load your own it would make a great range/camp gun.

T:hmmmm:NY

·
Registered
849 Posts
Way to go Scott! :)

Rule #1 - ditch #6 and use #8.
Rule #2 - buy a press. It cost 18 cents including the primed hulls. 8 cents a round to reload.

Read my XLR post for load data. It works great on grouse out to 25 yards with the.cylinder bore.

:)

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Congrats on the new Marlin...and I agree with the above re reloading...you open up a great number of alternatives that are tailored to your firearm. Specialty loads that would be very costly/difficult/impossible, are yours to make at relatively the same cost for each.
I'm curious to know if Ed Hubel has a .410 FH...hmmmm:flute:

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Scott,

I don't have one, but would like one. There's a gal at the local general store here and she says it the cat's pajama's at 20 yards with #8 shot. Beyond that is anyones guess. She seemed to really like hers.

When you going to shorten the barrel and poke some ports in that bad boy? Lolz.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts