Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted about a used 1985 year of manufacture Marlin ORIGINAL GOLDEN 39-A, that I had bought, before the server crashed.

I bought the 1885 Marlin Original 39-A which was in about 95% - 96% condition and was happy, with it, as a pig rolling in feces.

Marlin rimfire lever guns are hard to come buy around where I live. Hell, even gun shops are hard to come by here anymore ...

I walked into one of my favorite gun emporiums, and I saw something that caused my eyes to glaze over. It was another Marlin ORIGINAL GOLDEN 39-A. Only this one was in 99.98% condition. It would have been ANIB if it wasn't for one small, insignificant mark, on the magazine tube.

When ever I pick up a Marlin 39-A to look at, I get what is called the sticky hand syndrome and can't put the rifle down, my hands just won't let go. Well, the only right thing to do, under those circumstances, was to buy the Marlin, thus giving it a good home.

Giving this Marlin a new home, would pair up with the earlier one I bought.

The rifle curently sets on a back shelf, in the gun shop, waiting out Californias 10 purgatory incarceration requirement.

It was only $395.00, plus tax and license. The earlier mentioned,1985 year of manufacture Marlin was only $350.00, plus tax and license. I think I got two really good deals.

Now, if I can just get a couple of Marlin 39-M's somewhere in comparable condition ... Maybe even a 39D as one poster suggested to me.

Bill

·
Banned
843 Posts
Yep,,,,I too have a mistress and she was born in 1954 and she is a 20" mounite looking thru an old lyman rec'vr sight. She is very, very elegant and refined and likes to be fed a supply of PMC moderators, her recent favorite fodder; wherein she will spit 5 of them into a quarter size group if I'm real careful with her.

.....................TM7

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This New LADY is out of californias 10 day purgatory, comfortably residing within the confines of my gun safe.

This is a 1982 year modle, ORIGINAL GOLDEN 39A, with a "blue trigger." Looking the rifle over carefully, I believe it to be unfired. How lucky can one guy get?

Bill

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Shoot that thing,,,, Guns like fine wine are to be enjoyed..

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gunjunkie said:
Shoot that thing,,,, Guns like fine wine are to be enjoyed..
Shoot that thing? You bet ... It lost it's "virginity," early this morning.

It always amazes me how good a Marlin, 39A can shoot. This one, a 1982 model, and the 1985 model 39A I have, so far, have loved every brand, Winchester, Remington, Federal, CCI, of ammunition, I have put through them.

However, both of these rifles are sensitive to how they are placed on the rifle rest. I have a Witchita rifle rest and I put one sandbag on it. If the forearm isn't centered on the sandbag, these rifles shoot more than an inch (1.25-1.50) at 50 yards. Centering the forearm on the sandbag, then causes these rifles to shoot under an inch (average .875) at 50 yards. Obviously this is benching the rifles, from a very stable shooting bench.

Both of these rifles, now have Lyman 66LA receiver sights on them. When sighting in the open sights, the grouping was significantly greater.

I have several Leupold M8 6X42AO scopes that I may try, in the case my eyes start showing their age.

Bill

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sounds as though you are indeed a lucky man. Maybe you will get so lucky you can:

• Take control of California and return it to sanity, or...
    Move to an already gun sane environment.

I hope that you will have many happy years of shooting those two fine rifles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hobie said:
Sounds as though you are indeed a lucky man. Maybe you will get so lucky you can:

• Take control of California and return it to sanity, or...
    Move to an already gun sane environment.

I hope that you will have many happy years of shooting those two fine rifles.
I am afraid California has been totally, and irrevocably, taken over by the anti-gun crazies. Like New York City, California is now, to far gone to be politically redeemed.

It is interesting to know that most members of the California bi-cameral legislature are from the north eastern part of the United States.

They, northeastern immigrants, leave the northeast because they don't like it. Then they make California just like the place they did not like. I don't understand that frame of reference.

Even our "Movie Star" governor, who claims to be a Republican, and a conservative, has signed anti-gun bills. His wife, Sergeant Shrivers daughter, a Kennedy family member, must contribute to him being that way.

The new Los Angeles Mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa, is an anti-gun crazie.

As soon as my wife is released by her doctors, I will head back north, to where sanity, relating to firearms and hunting, is still in vogue.

A high school classmate, living in Kamiah, (CAM-E-I) Idaho called me this morning, telling me of twenty Elk feeding in a pasture, next to his house. I said send me pictures.

I will, spend the rest of my life enjoying these two fine rifles. It is a real pleasure knowing that I have these rifles, to shoot. Gun shops are becoming an endangered species in Southern California.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts