Marlin Firearms Forum banner

My "new" made in 1905 32-20

4K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  RGR 
#1 ·
My "new" made in 1905 32-20

This rifle had been tempting me for a few weeks.

I sought the council of sages (Wind, MarlinMan) and made two phone calls to the North Carolina shop it was sitting in. None of them did a good job of talking me out of it so with any luck that rifle will be inbound next week.

I'm REALLY hoping it is a shooter. Based on what I've seen Wind's vintage 32-20 and 32-40 do my expectations are high.

-Mo

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: My "new" made in 1905 32-20

Wet Dog said:
I sought the council of sages (Wind, MarlinMan) None of them did a good job of talking me out of it........
That's often risky.............and expensive! :eek:

It looks like a nice rifle. Looking forward to the range report. Are you already set up to cast for it? I bet that cute little Lee Soup Can would be awesome in it!

#3 ·

Wet Dog that's a neat gun. Makes a guy wonder where it has been :) I have 3 shotguns 1 came to california by covered wagon :)

#4 ·

Nice rifle, I like your new 1905 gun. 8) What was the condition like? Or was it bought as a decorator?

#5 ·

Wet Dog - Can't wait until we see a few more pictures and a range report. It looks nice from here. Shenandoah

#6 ·

PJ: I have some .313" Soupcans ready to go. I also have the Lyman 311008 working well in my Cowboy Carbine. I'm hoping one or both will shoot well. One of the things I like best about the 32-20 is the lead goes a lot further at 120 grains/bullet than the 250 or better I shoot in my 38-55, 45 Colt and 45-70... You're right about risk. Guys like you have cost me plenty - and opened up a world of enjoyment that keeps a grin on my face. Many thanks!

Me: I wonder the same thing. I'm guessing by the amount of wear it has some experience. I'm looking forward to adding to its history.

Moofy: I purchase the rifle on GunBroker and it has yet to arrive. I'm hoping the seller was accurate in his description. My intention is to put many thousands of rounds through it once I get my hands on it.

Shenandoah: I think that Wind's Magic Fence Post would make for a nice picture. I'd also like to see it leaning up against a well dotted 380 yard diamond plate, in the fore ground of a swept array of Turkeys and Rams as well as a good many pictures of it at my cabin.

#8 ·

Wet Dog said:
PJ: I have some .313" Soupcans ready to go. I also have the Lyman 311008 working well in my Cowboy Carbine. I'm hoping one or both will shoot well. One of the things I like best about the 32-20 is the lead goes a lot further at 120 grains/bullet than the 250 or better I shoot in my 38-55, 45 Colt and 45-70... You're right about risk. Guys like you have cost me plenty - and opened up a world of enjoyment that keeps a grin on my face. Many thanks!

Me: I wonder the same thing. I'm guessing by the amount of wear it has some experience. I'm looking forward to adding to its history.

Moofy: I purchase the rifle on GunBroker and it has yet to arrive. I'm hoping the seller was accurate in his description. My intention is to put many thousands of rounds through it once I get my hands on it.

Shenandoah: I think that Wind's Magic Fence Post would make for a nice picture. I'd also like to see it leaning up against a well dotted 380 yard diamond plate, in the fore ground of a swept array of Turkeys and Rams as well as a good many pictures of it at my cabin.

#9 ·

Wet Dog I think I here that gun singing the old song... They gonna put me in the movies... gonna make a big star out of me.
I hope it gets a big star and acts naturally ;D

#11 ·

Old Goat Keeper said:
I ain't bought me any Marlins of any kind for close 6 months now so it about time!
Dang, Tom. And you had such a great streak going, too. You better get a move on, you're gettin' behind! :D

#13 ·

T-o-m
I'm so far behind I thought I was ahead. Lost sight and sound of the pack and am headed back to the front porch.
Trying to save money for a baby sharps in 38-55, a Traditions 36 caliber flintlock, a 32-20 S&W handgun. Also, an outbreak of marlinitis is coming to the surface, where will it end? Shenandoah

#14 ·

Can I sit by you on the porch Shenandoah??? If I can I will let you fondle my semi-custom long rifle and/or my Little Sharps in 38-55! ::) But I still need a S&W in 32-20 to keep all my hyponates company.

T-o-m

PS. Guess I didn't mention here that I slipped not one but 2 of those Little Sharps into my arsenel. The other one is in 45 Long Colt. They are both SWEET!

#15 ·

They "updated" the delivery date yesterday and to my disappointment, it'll take two days longer than I had hoped. :-\

Logistically this is bad as I had it sent to and FFL where I thought I'd be (my cabin) and this could further delay me getting my grubs on it. :'(

If a doctor tells me I've only got a week to live I'm going to order a rifle I really want because time seems to stop when you're waiting for it to arrive...

#16 ·

T-o-m Funny you should ask. Any time is fine. In fact I am obligated to build a porch swing and install it for the wife as I backslid and bought a 32-40. Wiped out savings but the deal was too good to pass up. Hope to have some pictures and a range report before too long. Swing seems to be a priority with the wife at this point.

Wet Dog - When I first saw that map with the delivery route marked I thought it was Santa's summer route. In a way I guess it is though. I'm looking for a magic fence post to put my rifle on. Hope things work out for your delivery. You never know, someone may put the spurs to the pony and he will get to your place a bit early. If he doesn't throw a shoe. Good luck and can't wait for the pictures. Shenandopah

#17 ·

If a doctor tells me I've only got a week to live I'm going to order a rifle I really want because time seems to stop when you're waiting for it to arrive...

[/quote]

Wet Dog, man, that is the truth!!
Nice looking rifle, hope it soots great.
I am working on getting a 38-55 right now and I'm already starting to think about these older calibers, you're all a very bad influence on me. I've got a 1873 Win. 38-40 (1893) never shot it or cleaned it, belonged to my Grandmother. I wonder if I could?Modern powders ok in that?

#18 ·

I recall an excellent short story where a guy sold his soul to da debbil for a magic stopwatch where all he had to do was click it when he was having the time of his life, time would stand still and he would never die, and thereby avoid the usual penalty for soul selling....Ol' Scratch knew human nature, and knew that feller would always hesitate and hope for something better before clicking, and he was right.....next thing the guy knew, he was on the Hell Bound train with all the drinkers and loose wimmin and gamblin' and old friends, and Ol' Scratch sez, "well, i got you NOW, boy, ", and that feller looks at Ol' Scratch and then clicks the stopwatch....

Lacking a watch, i shall order a rifle....

#19 ·

AINT NO FISH said:
. I've got a 1873 Win. 38-40 (1893) never shot it or cleaned it, belonged to my Grandmother. I wonder if I could?Modern powders ok in that?
The 1873 will be fine with modern powders so long as you keep the loads at SAAMI or below....there are several excellent powders that burn a little slower and get you higher load density as substitute for black powder while keeping pressure on the lower end....just keep in mind that gun predates widespread use of true steel in guns, better to think of the gun as made of iron, can't recall Winchester proofing for smokeless date but Colt didn't start until circa 1906, so keep the loads on the mild side of normal rather than wild side.....have the gun inspected before firing for good headspace or any problem that might lead to failure, as aside from injury, you would HATE to destroy that family history, and its lockup is only an over-center toggle link so check that well....and triple check all handloads prior to bullet insertion and seating/crimp for the same reason

#21 ·

The new 1905 vintage 1894 arrived today and I was filling out the paperwork soon after its arrival. It is now in my possession.

I love the proportions and aesthetic of this rifle.

There are a few things I'm concerned about though. #1 is the bore. It don't look good.

Subsequent cleaning has improved the look sightly. I slugged the barrel and it appears it's in the .312"-.313" ball park. There is still a good deal of work to go on the cleaning the bore out though. At least the lands are a little more clear. It isn't a smooth push through with the rod...

The rifle does show a lot of experience. The hammer has been dropped so many times the firing pin has imprinted on it.

The stock is mostly solid though there is a small grain split on the wrist. The stock does have the serial number stamped on it.

Another concern is that the hammer will fall from half cock if the trigger is FIRMLY depressed.

I love the heft of this rifle. I will try to shoot it tomorrow. My fingers are crossed for it to show some promise. Looks like some work ahead but hopefully it will yield a rifle worth packing around for another 100 years.

I'll start another thread but here is some video of Wind taking on the 500 yard dinger with his 1907 vintage 1894 in 32-20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUGeOJ8evpY

#22 ·

More findings:

- the 32-20 is bad for productivity. I'm going into work late today so I could do some more testing.

-The Lyman 311008 over 4.5 grains of Unique averages 1311 fps and shows accuracy promise. The bullet is shot as cast, .313"+

-The Black Hills commercial ammo averaged 1148 fps and keyholed every shot. I'm not sure what their sizing was.

-There was a minor amount of leading after the test. It appears to be mostly near the chamber end.

-Still pushing out a lot of very dark patches.

-Soaking the barrel again hoping to see a bit more rifling.

#24 ·

One thing i've noticed with old bores...if they are a bit too shabby for cast, they still generally shoot jacketed most excellently....something like the Speers for the .32H&R....the Hornadys are good too but they have that extended ogive/band that may not chamber without shortening brass a smidge...probably not an issue with an older gun....hope the cleaning and maybe lapping will get you a cast shooter if it's not one already...the lighter factory bullets might not have enough bearing surface?....

#26 ·

Beautiful rifle you got there Wet Dog! I hope the bore is the only thing you intend on cleaning up..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.