Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WP_20140607_002.jpg WP_20140709_18_43_47_Pro.jpg

Picked this up couple months ago for 300, didn't like the stock; stock and forearm didn't match. Decided to do a quick refinish job with my favorite stain, vinegar and steel wool, I love the look of this stain and always have, very easy to match different kinds of wood with. The first picture doesn't really show the different wood, the second one does though. In the third pic I'm trying to match the butt stock and forearm, the fourth pic shows what I believe to be a match. The fifth pic doesn't show much except the tru oil rub, I used tru oil spray the first 8 coats, sanded with 320 grit in between coats, then the last 4 or 5 coats I used 0000 steel wool. I think it'll make a fine brush/pig gun. Just posting for fun, not trying to factory match anything, what ya'll think?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I'm only seeing two pics, but yer gonna like that 35 for what you have planned for it. DP

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WP_20140709_14_37_23_Pro.jpg

Looks like I went way over on the pic sizes, I'll post the others now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WP_20140713_13_11_58_Pro.jpg

Okay, now there all uploaded, going to let it cure all week then decided weather or not to put stock sheen conditioner on to make it look satin.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Looks good Mike! Nice job on the refinish!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
complete.jpg Thanks Leverforever, It was definitely two different kinds of wood, probably the butt stock was replaced at some point. It came with a hunter leather strap and a cabelas scope for 300 at the local gun shop, couldn't pass it up or at least that's what I told my wife:)

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Mike, your refinish job is awesome. Just had my 336SC .35 Remington from 1963 professionally refinished because the forearm did not match the butt stock also. I have a 83 year old friend who makes beautiful stocks out of a hunk of wood and he refinished it for me. There was also some "blood spots" on the bluing and he touched all of them up with cold blue. The darn thing looks almost too good to drag out into the woods chasing Whitetails. Just wish I had the talent to do wood work like you!

358 Win

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow. Very nice finish. You may have inspired me to do this to my 336.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Love the 35's, you will too. She looks good to me, corse I'm partial to the 35's. Congrats on your new deerslayer, and if you ever get a chance at a hog she'll do that job nicely also.:congrats:When you get a chance add your name to this. listhttp://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/148533-how-many-35-remingtons.html

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Very nice!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey Mike,

Wow!

Your .35 is "Shining" now!

Great job.

Later, Mark

·
Administrator
28,329 Posts
Stunning finish! Makes me want to do one of my Marlins the same, however, I would definitely opt for the satin finish.

Great job!

Jack

1 - 20 of 23 Posts