Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to share this peculiar situation with all the magicians in here.
I just purchased a 39A, that was on the top of my wanted list. I am already the lucky owner of a 336 and a 1897 .22, but I needed a precise .22 for minor game hunting - and plinking of course. The 39a is very seldom on the market in Denmark, so i was Lucky when i found one. Gave a bit, got it, got the permission and picked it up. Nice 1965 model without cross bolt safety and nice dark wood. Back home i went straight to the fields to test it. It shot wonderful and even the Tasco scope was decent - but - the last round and sometimes the second to last would make the lever stuck. I looked at MO - and gave the gun a thoroughly two hour cleaning. Next day i went back to the fields but the same thing happened. I couldn't find anything that should cause that. In my despair I loaded just one round in the magazine while the gun was still apart. I squeezed down the cartridge stop spring – and the round didn’t come out?!??!! Then I removed the cartrifge and just mounted the magazine tube plug and looked through the receiver end – the
small orange tee was more than an inch inside the tube? Then I took the tube
plug out and placed it on top of the magazine tube…. IT IS AN INCH TOO SHORT!!!
Is there different length on the magazine tube plug or has it been modified?
It is supposed to be 60 cm (23.62 inches) to reach the receiver but it is only 56 cm (22.04 inches)
Am I completely wrong about the whole thing or what?
Thank you all for any good advise or enlightment on this weird issue... 2013-06-16 17.11.32.jpg 2013-06-16 17.16.45.jpg 2013-06-16 17.11.25.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
You are absolutely correct my friend :biggrin: That is definitely NOT the factory inner magazine tube! According to what I found at Brownells website, that inner magazine tube is supposed to be 22 7/16 inches long! I checked the one in my 39 (76 vintage and it is slightly longer than the 22 7/16 inches). That orange plastic follower looks strangely out of place. Good luck! Hope that helps! John

Reactions: Yogi

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Wow...that's a bummer Yogi! I think you're correct about the inner tube being too short. Hope you can find what you need ok so you can get back to shootin! Good luck.

Reactions: Yogi

·
Registered
256 Posts
I will have to agree that you probably do not have the original magazine tube for that rifle. I have one that I bought new in 1985, and the magazine follower inside the tube is metal not plastic. Your rifle should have the same.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
The inner tube that you have is from ether a Model 60 or a bolt action Marlin. The 39A has a solid metal follower that sticks out about a inch or a little more. Keep an eye on ebay, they show up on there from time to time.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Just need to share this peculiar situation with all the magicians in here.
I just purchased a 39A, that was on the top of my wanted list. I am already the lucky owner of a 336 and a 1897 .22, but I needed a precise .22 for minor game hunting - and plinking of course. The 39a is very seldom on the market in Denmark, so i was Lucky when i found one. Gave a bit, got it, got the permission and picked it up. Nice 1965 model without cross bolt safety and nice dark wood. Back home i went straight to the fields to test it. It shot wonderful and even the Tasco scope was decent - but - the last round and sometimes the second to last would make the lever stuck. I looked at MO - and gave the gun a thoroughly two hour cleaning. Next day i went back to the fields but the same thing happened. I couldn't find anything that should cause that. In my despair I loaded just one round in the magazine while the gun was still apart. I squeezed down the cartridge stop spring – and the round didn’t come out?!??!! Then I removed the cartrifge and just mounted the magazine tube plug and looked through the receiver end – the
small orange tee was more than an inch inside the tube? Then I took the tube
plug out and placed it on top of the magazine tube…. IT IS AN INCH TOO SHORT!!!
Is there different length on the magazine tube plug or has it been modified?
It is supposed to be 60 cm (23.62 inches) to reach the receiver but it is only 56 cm (22.04 inches)
Am I completely wrong about the whole thing or what?
Thank you all for any good advise or enlightment on this weird issue...
Here's a theory, based on what I've seen with others. Some people are totally paranoid about their guns, so they separate bits off of them and store them separately, for whatever reason or motive. Some dealers will do the same with guns on a rack just so parts don't disappear. Inner magazines are one of these parts, bolts on bolt actions are another. Lots of rifles with either missing are out there for sale. My theory, in this case, would be that the former owner or his heirs just grabbed the first inner magazine tube that looked right from a bundle of them and jammed it in. So somewhere out there is another gun with an inner magazine that's too long.

One guy I worked with took the bolt out of his centerfire Savage for "security", the rifle was stored in a safe anyway, he misplaced it and didn't find it for 8 months. A replacement bolt at that time would have taken the better part of $200 and a trip to the factory. Not a stellar idea.

What can be done at this time? If you were in the U.S., I'd direct you to Brownell's or the Numrich/Gun Parts sites to see what they had for replacement parts. There exist old-style and new-style inners and outers, only the new-style is available now. From what others have said here, the difference is in the latching notch shape at the end of the outer tube. You may have to order both parts to get a match. Some fitting will be needed, a notch needs to be drilled or filed into the outer tube for the hanger retaining pin. If you get just the inner, some filing may be needed on the outer's notch to get the latch to work properly. Or you could see if the person/dealer/estate you got it from still has the proper inner tube and will swap.

I guarantee you that the gun didn't come from the factory that way.

Stan S.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a theory, based on what I've seen with others. Some people are totally paranoid about their guns, so they separate bits off of them and store them separately, for whatever reason or motive. Some dealers will do the same with guns on a rack just so parts don't disappear. Inner magazines are one of these parts, bolts on bolt actions are another. Lots of rifles with either missing are out there for sale. My theory, in this case, would be that the former owner or his heirs just grabbed the first inner magazine tube that looked right from a bundle of them and jammed it in. So somewhere out there is another gun with an inner magazine that's too long..
Hi Stan and thanks.

I am sure you're right - the inner tube is definatily not from that gun originally. The "tee" is made of plastic, so i guess it's much newer that the gun itself. I have REALLY difficulties in converting cm. to inches when it comes to 1/4, 3/8 and stuff, so here's the measures in cm:
The inner tube itself is 53,2 cm with the "tee" sticking 3 cm out.
If i Mount the inner tube and measure from the nob at the muzzle end to where the cartridge stop Begins there's exactoy 60 cm. I'd say that the inner tube should be at least 57 cm long, leaving the last three cm for the "tee" (If they have the same length on the original one..?). If i compare with my 1897 there's still some power in the spring when I push the follower from the action side.
I'm considering the following idea: I have a good friend that is a gifted toolsman and i think he would be able to prolong the tube - but what about the spring then? I have looked on eBay and so, but noone will ship to Denmark. I'm also wondering if all 39a's has the same length of the innertube and follower...? What would be the correct length of it for a 1965 39a (Serial AAXXXXX)?

About the seller: It was a youngster, that had only had it for a year - not a reseller. He was not very "gunminded" - the gun was not very well maintained on the inner side; sticky grease&powder dirt all over. One of the Guys that maintains weapons by oiling/greasing them all over. Of course he must have known this issue - he claims he didn't but i don't believe him. He did not have any other lever actions (we're in Denmark, read my opening thread for an update on how European Hunters consider lever action :)). I'm sure he or the former (former, former) owner have broken the original one and replaced it with what they thought was a correct replacement). Never mind, i am really happy with the gun, the metal works just fits perfectly, the action is tight and smooth, nice fitting of the Wood, excellent bore and overall in a really good shape. This is going to be my companion for many years ahead in the fields, so to me this is just a minor bump on the road. Something that will make the gun more mine - the first history we share together. I will bring this minor thing in order - for both of us :) (Funny how emotional and personal one can be with a firearm eh?)
Thanks for the good answer Stan
Regards
Yogi

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
A 39A is a 39A, they all have the same length of barrel and magazine. Not talking Mountie here, just the standard rifle. I replaced the whole magazine, inner and outer, on a '53 with no problems, other than the minor fitting I mentioned, using current parts. Those came from Numrich/Gun Parts.

Have you checked with www.brownells.com? I know they will ship some parts abroad, the magic limit is $100, it seems, otherwise there's State Department paperwork for exporting "small arms", kind of silly for the parts we're talking about. They also have "universal" .22 tubular magazine kits, DIY cut to the desired length, if exact replacements aren't available.

And it's not out of the question to find some drawn brass or aluminum tubing the right size and crimp the end to make a replacement. A dull tubing cutter can run a ring into it, it can then be cut and filed to length. We have hobby shops and some hardware stores that carry telescoping brass tubing in smaller sizes, might be you could find something there. The spring is the thing, all you can do is try the one you have and see if it has enough pressure to feed a full magazine.

Stan S.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch Again Stan - glad to know that any 39a inner tube will do, then i might have a chance calling around to gunsmiths in Denmark first. And thanks for the links
- Yogi

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yogi there are two different styles of locking systems on the 39a your rifle had the old style chances are pretty good that the one you ordered will be the new style the length should be ok you will probably need to do a little cutting on the outer tube to make it work. The picture isnt clear enough to tell but the inner you have appears to be new style.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts