Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario... I can load and eject full Federal rounds all day long, but spent rounds don't eject hardly at all and when I pry the brass out it seems like its expanded enough to cause what I think is more than normal friction. If I use CCI ammo I have no issues. My thought is, is that the Federals are thinner walled and my barrel hasn't worn in enough (200ish rounds) to allow for any cartridge expansion. Does this sound viable, anybody else have the same problem, should I contact Marlin?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
All 22's like certian ammo best.. even bolts.. I would just use cci's if accuracy is ok.. I think the federals are lubed too much.. I don't like them even in bolts.. I prefer all jacketed ammo

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like a bad batch of ammo. I use the federal bulk pack all the time in my 39A without any problems. It would appear that the gun is working fine since its functioning with CCI ammo. I would call up federal and tell them the problems you’ve been experiencing with their ammo.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep.. the copper plated is jacketed so to speak.. LOL...not the lubed pure lead like the others..
They do have fmj for 17hm2 out.. :lol:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I prefer copper plated as well. But it's intresting to note that most all match ammo in .22 LR is of the pure lead unplated variety. I think one of the reasons is because of it's lower velocity. Bill T.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Actually, q.c. is the reason copper plated ammo in match configuration is not seen. The process uses an extra manufacturing step that requires basket rotation. Incidence of deformed bullet noses is higher than without this extra step. There were two copper plated target grades available in years gone by- Winchester offered one in the late 30's, and C.I.L./Dominion had one until the mid-60's. I shot the C.I.L. stuff, and it wasn't bad at all. I sure wouldn't of wanted to have the bullet nose inspectors job in those days....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
billt said:
I prefer copper plated as well. But it's intresting to note that most all match ammo in .22 LR is of the pure lead unplated variety. I think one of the reasons is because of it's lower velocity. Bill T.
I know what your saying about match ammo.. some love it.. I just like the reg copper plated non stick hollow pt.s.. for hunting and playing I use the same...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW, a wealth of knowledge... thx guys. I picked up some CCI mini mags (which are working fine) and some CCI blazers for curiousity sakes. Another bud bought a 39 same time as me more or less and has no issues... strange indeed. Been shooting the same batch through my 10/22 fine so I'm guessin a simple bad combo for the time being... and yes the CCI does seem to be more accurate, I've only shot my marlin a few times and last night was first time with my Marbles Peep Tang site on... really loving that site, shot better than I ever have with my scoped 10/22 or factory sites on the 39. Likely going to get a Lyman 17a(h) globe front site.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Try the other stuff again after you get about 200 rds through it.. may make a difference

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did a super deep clean and that seemed to help a lot, but still 1 outta 5 seem to not wanna come out while the CCI mini mag is still flawless. May modify the extractor just a touch seeings how inexpensive they are in case I goof...

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I don't even buy anything other than CCI anymore......I have 2 39A's ans a 39M I shoot all the time, and they all like CCI MiniMag best - and one of the 39A's will actually shoot the CCI better than Eley's stuff....... and consistantly. Go figure. Once you find ammo it likes, I'd forget the stuff that causes problems........

Shum8

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was shooting my 39a at 25 yards with t22 and grouping about 1 1/4", not from a bench, but resting it against a pole. I had a box of Wolf MT in front of me, so I filled it with those and could just about cover 10 shots with a dime. Not scientific I know, but a pretty amazing difference.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I noticed this past winter at the local 22 shoots that people that used federal's had the same problem. It happened to me with gold medal. I won't use it anymore.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Doc Sharptail has it right...I just read an extensive article on Eley...they said the copper plating process is a tumbling process and they don't want to do it...don't want to risk any dents or nicks..

By now IDMarlin, you know what the answer is...don't use Federals..stick with what works.

CCI used to place cutaway drawings of their brass in their ads. Seems like they had a thicker area in the base of their brass...sort of an " inner belted magnum". I can't recall if that was on all their rimfire ammo or just the magnums..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts