Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been collecting marlins for about then years now. Out of the 30 or so I've bought during this time most of them have been 1894s and 1895s but I always wanted a 39a. Well saturday I bit the bullet and bought a new one from cabelas in lehi Utah for 449.00 I about died when they told me the price but I wanted one so bad I pulled out cash.

The next day the excitment turned to dissapointment and anger when I shot this gun for the first time. I mounted a leupold varix111 1.75x6 scope on this gun and set a target out to 25 yards. Fired the first round and the round hit high and about three feet left of the entire target board. Adjusted the scope as far right as it would go and the gun was still shooting to the left. Looks like the holes in the top of receiver are drilled off center. So I took the scope off and shot it with open sights, first thing I noticed was the front sight crooked, turned out the holes for the front sight was also drilled off center. The instructions said the gun was sighted from the factory, well with open sights round hit left and high just like with the scope, so I took the elevator out of the sight and the rounds were hitting paper but still it was hitting high and to the left and the last five rounds at 25 yards with remington target ammo shot a 6" pattern. I love marlins but it is dissapointing to see such poor workmanship in an american product.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Thats very unusual for a Marlin for sure... You can send back to factory and have re done if you choose.. I am not sure if the store would just replace it or not.... but you can send to Marlin .. Contact the through there gun site and they can tell you all the peticulars..The front band could be overtightened causing some problems.. and the forearm hiitting the barrel.... They will fix it.. I am sure..

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
My local gunstore, if you buy a brand new gun there and have trouble with it, THEY will send it back to the factory for you. I believe Cabelas should definitely do this for you. The 39 is a GREAT little rifle and it is too bad that you've had this bad experience. Try to have a little patience with them and give them a chance to make it right.

Geoff

·
Registered
834 Posts
I know the Cabelas here in Michigan would replace it or refund your money. They take back guns even if you just decide you don't like it.

Larry

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larry, Geoff, and G-junkie thank you all for the information and the support. You are right, I contacted cabelas and they are going to send the gun back to Marlin. I think they would have refunded my money back but I really want a 39 a so I'll just wait for it to come back.

·
Registered
485 Posts
well i dont think you will be sorry what makes me mad is that somebody somewhere with at least 1 eye could see stuff messed up & say no lets grab another 1 this 1 has problems dont like to wait to shoot :) stick around theres lots more fun to be had, mike243

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Wyatt said:
Larry, Geoff, and G-junkie thank you all for the information and the support. You are right, I contacted cabelas and they are going to send the gun back to Marlin. I think they would have refunded my money back but I really want a 39 a so I'll just wait for it to come back.
Waiting is ok,, too bad they didn't have another,, but the brightside you know what to look for when it returns ...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want you all to know I'm a proud american and I love our country and I believe in buying american made products and I have an affliction for marlin rifles, but it hurts my pride a little when I see americans doing shabby work like this.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
No different than cars... some days quality takes a vacation..

·
Banned
843 Posts
Well good luck with the next 39 when it comes in. I went the other route and sought out a nice used one from 1955. Truly a keepsake and an elegant rifle.

..............TM7

·
Registered
26 Posts
should have bought a model 60. i hate to harp on this but im tellin you guys they truely are the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A guy here had the same problem and he said he just tweaked the rear sight a bit and it came right in... He made a horizontal and vertical tweak... I'll have to mention this to him as his could be in the same boat as yours but with a band-aid.

Spose to be a Cabela's coming to Boise also, haven't seen one since I left Nebraska.

I'm happy with the accuracy on mine, but getting the halves back together exactly right is a pain.... mine actually had a burr that built up from the slide hitting the housing that the hammer is in and eventually making it impossible to move the lever down. Had to file it down some and use a rubber mallet to get the halves together. I've tried a lot of things shy of smoothing down the mating surfaces... which was suggested by a long time marlin owner. He says the materials have gotten better with time but the workmanship and finish work as gotten worse... sigh.

·
Banned
843 Posts
If it is any consolation my 1955 model can be a hassle to put back together, too. Seems there is a knack to it that I haven't figured out yet.

..............TM7

1 - 14 of 14 Posts