·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Oooo, looong Lou. :eek: ;D

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
That is nice! :D

But are both 26" long? One looks considerably longer thatn the other to me..

-Bob George

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I hope I'M still shooting when I'm 112 years old!

Nice pickup, awaiting the range report. Got any loads selected for it? Holy Black or light smokeless?

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
SWEET!!! How can you not love a 1893..
One of my favorites

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
papajohn said:

Nice pickup, awaiting the range report. Got any loads selected for it? Holy Black or light smokeless?
Pj the coolest thing about this rifle is that it's 112 years old! 8) It's like holding a piece of history in your hands. It's pretty neat that it has been taken care of all these years! As far as reloads i'm going to stick with light smokeless! Heck thats why Marlin built the 1893! I might work up a heavier deer / bear load in the future, but for now i'm just going to push some BB Laser Cast with Unique, 2400 and maybe some H-322. I'm told with the twist on these old barrels a 250 grain bullet is what they were made for, but you know how us reloaders get! ;) It's cool that all the powders I have on hand work well in the 38-55! The bore is fantastic on this old gun. It should be a shooter...wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Very Nice...both of them are beautiful rifles. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
PJ- you are the bard! Me and the Mrs got a howl outa that one.

M

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Thank you Lewis L. Hepburn for these wonderful rifles,

Rest In Peace.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
lever addict said:
Thanks Levergunz! I would love to see a pic and get some details on your 1889! 8)
Lever addict,
My 1889 was made in 1890.I bought it at auction 9 years ago.It has a excellent bore and is in 32w(32-20)The metal looks refinished many years ago,but the wood I believe is original.I added the Marbles tang sight and removed the rear sight.When I got it I had to replace the firing pin and locking bolt.Parts for the 1889 are very unique.It shoots decent groups.Here is a pic.These were black powder guns.I shoot black powder and very light loads of smokeless.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Levergunz that is one sweet 1889! It's in great condition also. Finding one with a good bore today is a challange, but i'm still looking! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
lever addict said:
Levergunz that is one sweet 1889! It's in great condition also. Finding one with a good bore today is a challange, but i'm still looking! ;)
Thanks,
I agree that finding a good bore is challanging.So many rifles were not cleaned properly and with black powder or worse yet, Mecuric priming the bores showed the result.I was lucky to find my 1893 32-40 with a fine bore.I've had other 1893's that I sold off due to poor bores.
I just noticed that between me and you we have all the 1893 calibers except the 32 spl(HPS).You have the 30-30,38-55 and I have the 25-36 and 32-40.Both of mine have the 26"octogon barrels.Pretty cool.I hope you enjoy your 1893 as much as I do.I love shooting the old rifles.What a neat feeling and makes a person go back in time,if not for just awhile. ;D

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me know when you get bored with them we can trade for a while! ;) Now you don't think your gettin away without showing me the 25-36 are ya!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts