Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I love it, and that is the load that I use exclusively 255gr cast flat nose, congratulations, mine isn't as nice as yours, but close, and an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
looks as good to me! and with a pistol grip and dose it have a octogen to round barrel? can we see some better photos?

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Super Moderator
24,962 Posts
Very nice! I have a 1893 in 30-30 that I shoot quite a bit. It definitely isn't as nice as yours!

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That is one fine looking old shooter!
Not to mention a great caliber.
Congratulations on a nice find!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Great find. I have been looking for one like that for over three years. Should be real fun to hunt with this year.

·
Registered
978 Posts
looks as good to me! and with a pistol grip and dose it have a octogen to round barrel? can we see some better photos?
Hate to clutter up your thread, I don't have great pictures of it, yes it is half octagon half round 26". I have been posting about it on the silhouette section, I have shot it a lot, over 700rnds and all with 10gr of Unique, nice and easy, lemon squeezy.

·
Super Moderator
4,671 Posts
I just recently purchased a 336 Texan that was bored to 38/55. I have some Beartooth 249g bullets to try with a lot of powder combos. I’ll have to add Unique to that list. Right now I’ve got some rounds loaded with 24g of IMR4198, just haven’t got to the range yet.

·
Super Moderator
13,364 Posts
Fantastic. Was this man selling this rifle on Gunbroker? If so, you outbid me. Well, more like I didn't get home in time to start a bid war. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Does it have a smokeless barrel? Usually marked smokeless. Doe not matter much if you are staying around 10 grains of unique and using cast. Some claim Herco is another good powder, which I believe as I burnt a lot of the stuff in heavier shotgun loads. Enjoy the old gal.

DEP

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Does it have a smokeless barrel? Usually marked smokeless. Doe not matter much if you are staying around 10 grains of unique and using cast. Some claim Herco is another good powder, which I believe as I burnt a lot of the stuff in heavier shotgun loads. Enjoy the old gal.

DEP
yes it says "special smokeless steel"

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Theoretically smokeless steel means you have a model that permits heftier loads. Some I have seen for the old timers I hesitate using in my modern Cowboy. Still, for hunting there is nothing wrong with the moderate increases over the old BP pressures for a bit better trajectory and a bit better expansion. I have loaded mine up to a little over 1600 fps and with 4198 you can easily get loads in the 1400-1500 category which are nice deer loads. One book I have shows them loading up to over 1800 with the 255 cast bullets. Might be a bit stiff for the old timer. My daughter has now inherited on like that in 30-30, 26 barrel and all. Her grandfather took several deer with his. My brother in-law had it and never used it. I would have, had it been mine.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
13,364 Posts
Theoretically smokeless steel means you have a model that permits heftier loads. Some I have seen for the old timers I hesitate using in my modern Cowboy. Still, for hunting there is nothing wrong with the moderate increases over the old BP pressures for a bit better trajectory and a bit better expansion. I have loaded mine up to a little over 1600 fps and with 4198 you can easily get loads in the 1400-1500 category which are nice deer loads. One book I have shows them loading up to over 1800 with the 255 cast bullets. Might be a bit stiff for the old timer. My daughter has now inherited on like that in 30-30, 26 barrel and all. Her grandfather took several deer with his. My brother in-law had it and never used it. I would have, had it been mine.

DEP
I've found running a 250gr bullet in the 1800fps territory out of my 38/55 is more uncomfortable than a full house 444, or moderate 45/70. 1500fps kills deer just fine.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
well i gave up speed long ago. for accuracy and comfortable shooting. the 10 grains of unique is pleasant to shoot. it is accurate and at 70yds or more i will guarantee you it will go slam through a deer! with that load in dirt with my soft lead boolits they will flatten out. i would like to try some black powder loads, and i will, i have about 50lbs of BP,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
978 Posts
well i gave up speed long ago. for accuracy and comfortable shooting. the 10 grains of unique is pleasant to shoot. it is accurate and at 70yds or more i will guarantee you it will go slam through a deer! with that load in dirt with my soft lead boolits they will flatten out. i would like to try some black powder loads, and i will, i have about 50lbs of BP,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have rang a lot of rams with factory 30-30, but never rang one with the 38-55 going much slower, 10grns of Unique, a little puff of smoke, and a flat ram.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
me and my my wife just came in from our range and ate supper. we were ringing an 8in disc at 115yds with the 32-20 and the 38-55, fun, fun, fun! when that 38-55 with the 255gr. lead boolit hits, it hits hard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very nice rifle!
Nice caliber also.
Those square bolts are real Marlins!!!
That front sight doesn't look like the original nickel-silver blade sight.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Very nice rifle!
Nice caliber also.
Those square bolts are real Marlins!!!
That front sight doesn't look like the original nickel-silver blade sight.
no the sight might be a replacement. i like it but it is to short, the gun shoots to high. i ordered a reproduction one yesterday, but it should be right,,,,,,,,,

21 - 40 of 47 Posts