Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first thread, so I'll try not to foul it up too bad. :)

Just wanted to share some info and a few pix of my new Marlin 336XLR 30-30, a Christmas present I picked out for myself.

I ordered the rifle from Hinterland Outfitters - Marlin Model 336 Rifle 336XLR-30 30-30 Winchester Lever For Sale -, who happened to be one of the only shops that have it in stock and by far the best price - $733.59 plus $9.99 shipping and $60.52 tax... $804.10 drive-out.
* I'm sorry to say, as I was setting up the link above, I noticed that the gun is now out of stock and price has gone up just a little... I just bought it on Nov 30th.

If I am successful at attaching my photos, you will see that I fitted the rifle with an XS Lever Rail (without the ghost rings) which I believe looks extra sharp with the black/grey laminated wood color scheme. Just a note - you will likely need to expand the front hole just a little at the bottom for the rail to fit your 336. Half a minute with my Dremel did the trick.

For my scope, I selected the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 - $149.99 at BassPro. My decision was based on size and all the positive feedback I've read on various websites and forums. I used Millet 1" "High" Matte Black scope rings, also from BassPro - $29.99. I thought the "Low" and "Med" height rings were crowding the hammer a bit too much.

To finish it off, I kind of liked the way the Game Winner V-Flex Rifle Sling - Academy $19.99 - looked on the gun.

I have yet to take my new acquisition out to the range (my wife says I have to put it under the tree for Christmas) so I suppose I'll have another post coming soon!

Marlin336xlr_1L.jpg Marlin336xlr_2L.jpg Marlin336xlr_2R.jpg Marlin336xlr_1R.jpg

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks, can't wait to see how she handles... after Christmas of course! :-(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Hey KC,
Great looking rifle!!:tee: I've had mine since 2006 and have killed many deer with it. Team it up with Hornady's LE 160s and you have a 300 yard hard hitting, accurate shooter.:biggrin:

Can't help but post a picture.....

Miss Kitty(2) (Large).JPG

Reactions: KC TEXAN

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miss Kitty's a beaut, Bugsmasher! I have stocked up on those Hornady's and look forward to breaking my baby in!

Reactions: Bugsmasher

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Welcome to MO from Michigan's beautiful UP.

Nice looking rig.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Nice looking rifles guys! I have two of the XLR's and like the stainless with Pepper Lam. stocks. DP

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I'm a little worried now that I've read a thread regarding serial numbers and stamps. Is my new, sharp-looking Christmas rifle a piece of garbage since the serial begins with MR? :-(

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
If it's out of the box under the tree, cycle the heck out of it every time you walk by. That will help break it in. Won't know till you shoot it whether it's good to go or needs some attention in certain areas. Good luck with it. DP

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's out of the box under the tree, cycle the heck out of it every time you walk by. That will help break it in. Won't know till you shoot it whether it's good to go or needs some attention in certain areas. Good luck with it. DP
Will do... Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hey KC- I'm not a fan of scopes on our lever actions, but I'd have that combination in a heart beat! Beautiful combination.

By the way, welcome to the Texas Levergunners!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey KC- I'm not a fan of scopes on our lever actions, but I'd have that combination in a heart beat! Beautiful combination.

By the way, welcome to the Texas Levergunners!
Thanks, HD... I was hesitant at first with adding the red dot, but you know, I'm really digging it!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, HD... I was hesitant at first with adding the red dot, but you know, I'm really digging it!
My mistake, HD... I thought you were responding to my 1894CSS .357 posting with a red dot scope. I've yet to shoot this puppy (336XLR) since it's now wrapped up under the Christmas Tree! I'll be sure to let you know how I like the Nikon scope.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looks real nice. Hope it works out well for you.

i have one also. Have never hunted with it. Chose a Burris 2-7 E1 for a scope. Since getting this rifle I have been a bit frustrated with the way it shoots. Did grind the sear and got the trigger to 3 lbs. Lots of ammo loading and testing has been frustrating.

It wants to shoot for say three shots then flings. I have done major cleaning with J.B. Bore paste and aggressive solvents. The barrel has always wanted to copper foul from new but now that has stopped. Still, three shots and fling. I have to stop and thorougly clean. Then three more good shots but in a different impact point.

Tried free-floating the forend and also grinding down the nose cap so only the wedges are now touching the barrel. The saga continues as I test each week. They sure are good looking. Hope yours shoots well right out of the box.

Nice rifle.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks real nice. Hope it works out well for you.

i have one also. Have never hunted with it. Chose a Burris 2-7 E1 for a scope. Since getting this rifle I have been a bit frustrated with the way it shoots. Did grind the sear and got the trigger to 3 lbs. Lots of ammo loading and testing has been frustrating.

It wants to shoot for say three shots then flings. I have done major cleaning with J.B. Bore paste and aggressive solvents. The barrel has always wanted to copper foul from new but now that has stopped. Still, three shots and fling. I have to stop and thorougly clean. Then three more good shots but in a different impact point.

Tried free-floating the forend and also grinding down the nose cap so only the wedges are now touching the barrel. The saga continues as I test each week. They sure are good looking. Hope yours shoots well right out of the box.

Nice rifle.

Thanks... Nice lookin' arsenal, Captain! Can't wait to shoot mine, maybe I'll be lucky and not have all the bugs you mentioned. Now I know who to contact if I do! :)

Reactions: CaptainMal
1 - 20 of 26 Posts