Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having only joined today I thought I should post a few pictures of my new 1894C literally straight from the box before I even had a chance to shoot it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/27034694617/in/dateposted-public/

Hope you like it as much as I do and after taking it to the range today it shoots as good as it looks. So glad the new Marlins seem to be returning to the standards set by earlier models.

·
Registered
19,715 Posts
If they left the stocks uncheckered,they'd be saving a little money in production costs and improving the looks. She certainly appears well made,I'm glad she's a shooter. There's nothing better than a light,fast lever action carbine. Congrats.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome to THE Forum! Glad you posted a new thread with pics! Excited about your 1894! The wood looks very well grained. Enjoy!

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
19,715 Posts
This is entirely subjective. Some prefer plain, others like checkered. Same with pistol vs straight grip.
Okay,I'll refine my answer. If they did a more professional job of checkering,it would certainly look better. As it is,the stamped/rolled checkering is cheesy,and ruins the effect. Most all comments about the checkering are on the appearance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"literally straight from the box before I even had a chance to shoot it"

but you're going to at least clean the barrel first - right?
The barrel should have ben cleaned before being fired at the Proof House but just to be safe I did thoroughly clean the barrel and inside the receiver. I will add that before cleaning I rubbed a cotton bud around the insides and it came out clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay,I'll refine my answer. If they did a more professional job of checkering,it would certainly look better. As it is,the stamped/rolled checkering is cheesy,and ruins the effect. Most all comments about the checkering are on the appearance.
When I first took the Marlin to my gun club yesterday there were both positive and negative comments about the checkering. Being a lover of quality wood I would come down on the side of those preferring no checkering but it looks good either way. Many thanks for all the positive comments, the welcome here just adds to the pleasure this gun is already giving me.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nice looking rifle.:congrats:

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
To me at least there is something special, enjoyable about a lever or in fact bolt action you just dont get with a self loader. Not sure I could put my finger on exactly what it is, but to me at least, its a strong draw.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The barrel should have ben cleaned before being fired at the Proof House but just to be safe I did thoroughly clean the barrel and inside the receiver. I will add that before cleaning I rubbed a cotton bud around the insides and it came out clean.
I thought something similar. When I bought my Henry last year, I expected to see clean patches, a little grayish at the most. But after running a few patches of Hoppe's 9 through the barrel, the patches came out with a bluish- green tint. I looked down the barrel and saw what seemed like copper streaks. Some may not have an issue with such a thing. Would it effected the initial shooting? Possibly not. But, I expected a new gun to have a clean barrel. At least, I know the gun may not be affecting accuracy if the barrel is clean. It may be me which may be in a lot of cases.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.