Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I need to get copper fouling out I use a mix of 100% janitorial strength ammonia mixed 50/50 with hoppes #9 it's my own formula of butches bore shine ect. ect. and it works. when done I swab the bore with rem. oil the dray patch then another light coat of rem. oil. I have been using this for years with no problem at all only copper free bores. has anyone else done this?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
12,133 Posts
Never heard of that but will have to try it. One of the cleaners I have is heavily ammonia based. I found the best solution was to use a little piece of chore boy copper pad.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
FWIW ammonia is very bad for your lungs, so be sure you're outdoors when using it.

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
I've read that some AR 15 owners lube their ARs with 25/75 Hoppes bore cleaner and lube oil (respectively)of their choice to help keep the carbon from building up so bad , and making the BCG and receiver easier to clean.

Be careful with that ammonia, as too much ammonia use can be detrimental to the bore/bore metal, or so I've read,

·
Registered
11,007 Posts
I saw an email today a guy was trying to clean his work bench top/ metal of sticky stains, break cleaner did nothing. He poured some monster drink on the top it took all the gunk off, & folks drink this stuff!!!:cheers::damnmate:

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I here people squall and carry on about ammonia being horrible and destroying barrels! I saw one time where I think it shilen barrel company did a test and left an ammonia bore cleaner in a barrel for a time period like a week or so with no ill effects at all.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
I saw an email today a guy was trying to clean his work bench top/ metal of sticky stains, break cleaner did nothing. He poured some monster drink on the top it took all the gunk off, & folks drink this stuff!!!:cheers::damnmate:
you can use Coca Cola to free stuck rusted piston rings and the piston/s in the/all the cylinders of an engine when they've rusted from exposure to the elements.(as in JY) Remove head and pour into cylinder/onyo piston.

Yep it'll work. Although the cylinder will likely need refinishing/reboring due to pitting by the rust.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
I here people squall and carry on about ammonia being horrible and destroying barrels! I saw one time where I think it shilen barrel company did a test and left an ammonia bore cleaner in a barrel for a time period like a week or so with no ill effects at all.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
it occurs over time according to what Iread. IINM the article has been posted in a thread on MO somewhere .IIRC the ammonia pits the metalor causes "crazing"(forget which , might be both?) overtime when used too often/unneccesarily. It gets into the pores of metal tyo do ........

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
you can use Coca Cola to free stuck rusted piston rings and the piston/s in the/all the cylinders of an engine when they've rusted from exposure to the elements.(as in JY) Remove head and pour into cylinder/onyo piston.

Yep it'll work. Although the cylinder will likely need refinishing/reboring due to pitting by the rust.
It will also on lock stuck shotgun choke tubes so I am told.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts