Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 1895CB circa 2002 recently. I noticed that the bolt looked dirty, so I removed it and found the finish of the bolt to be flaking off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400474538.172624.jpg

Have you ever experienced that?

What should I do?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, Picture really dos'nt show the flaking well. Looks look's like normal wear to me. I have to look at mine, but i don't think there chromed. I beleave there polished steel and made out of a solid piece of bar stock . maybe someone with more knowledg will answer.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Looking at your picture, it looks like someone put some kind of coating on the bolt at some point. Maybe some sort of bubba-style effort to slick up the rifle ??? who knows....It looks like that stuff has sort of a brownish appearance.....

Anywhoo....Marlin bolts for the 1895 are supposed to be steel "in the white", meaning they don't have any coatings on them, at least as far as I've ever seen. I'd take some solvent and steel wool and get busy and keep at it until all that stuff was scrubbed off of there. The bolt should be nice and shiny clean steel, no coatings on it.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,353 Posts
The bolts are indeed chromed. I just verified this on page 251 of Brophy's book which states, "Round type breech bolt is made from alloy steel and is chrome plated." My 1994 made 1895 is chrome plated as well. AC

·
Registered
241 Posts
This doesn't look like chrome plating flaking off. If it were chrome it would be shiny hard flakes. From the picture it looks like some short of shellac. That being said it could be some really old oil product that dried up on the bolt. I'd clean it up with lacquer thinner to see if it comes off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prior to taking the picture I spent some time scrubbing with 0000 steel wool. There were metallic flakes coming off. The chrome plate explanation makes the most sense.

Would it be worth while sending it to Ilion, NY for repair, or should I fix it myself by buffing it clean and polishing?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Industrial chrome plating is to reduce wear and enhance slickness. Even is some is flaking, the remaining plating will continue to do its job for a long time to come. Oil the bolt, put the gun back together and shoot the heck out of it. Don't worry.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I had the same problem with one of my 1895's - I just very lightly sanded it with 600 grit paper until it looked like the flaking had been removed, it actually slicked the action a little. There was no adverse effect on the rifle or it's function to date.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
What you see is not dirty, but bluing rubbing against the bolt! Look at the opening on the back of the receiver where you push the bolt through. You will notice the bluing on the inside walls opening starting to wear from the bolt rubbing against it which will discolor the bolt. This happens to all round bolt Marlins and I have seen it be excessive on some. I have polished and oiled the opening on the receiver of a few models I had that were snug. Afterwards the guns bolt worked much smoother and easier.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The bolt used to be chrome plated.
They switched to nickel somewhere along the way, and it is not as robust.

I have two Marlins which have flaking nickel plating.

I probed at it and removed what was loose. I then smoothed the edges a little using some 600 grit, because I was a little concerned that the sharp edges of the nickel plating might wear the receiver faster.

May just be coincidence, but it has not been progressing since I stopped using any Hoppes #9.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Srf do you know when they switched? I have a stainless guide gun and have always used hoppes #9 but if it will hurt my gun I guess I will have to switch. But what should I switch to? Ive used hoppes on all my guns since I started shooting. The smell brings back great memories.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hoppes 9 is not supposed to be used on nickel. It used to say it on the bottle. It can be used IN the bore on nickel handguns, but the solvent MUST be completely wiped off and you can apply a light coat of oil. It will not harm stainless steel or of course blued steel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does anybody know if marlin uses any nickel plated components in the stainless guide guns? Or how I could find out if they do? I just kind of figured that a stainless gun was all stainless. I have never really thought about if any of it was nickel plated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just came across this same issue in my made in 2000 model 336 in 30-30. OP thanks for posting that pic makes me in good company to log in to MO and right away find out some info on a problem I just noticed. And it is definitely metal plating flaking off the bolt,,, feels "sharp" when running you finger over it. I'm busy (yeah I know its late but this is what I do when I wake up late at night and can't sleep.....clean my Marlins. Especially ones that I bought in the recent past at a own shop and put straight in the safe. Havnt even fired this one yet :flute:). Anyone know what year approximately that this switch was made to nickel plating? Oh well, I still love this 336, right now I'm working away at it with fine steel wool. Seems to be working for the most part, but I may have to switch to some very fine sandpaper in spots to polish out.

Hey I also just noticed on the flat of bolt where someone crudely engraved "32M", anyone know what this means? Something that was done at the factory I hope?http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
The bolts are indeed chromed. I just verified this on page 251 of Brophy's book which states, "Round type breech bolt is made from alloy steel and is chrome plated." My 1994 made 1895 is chrome plated as well. AC
AC,

The bolts were Chromed at the time Brophy wrote his book. The process was changed to Electroless Nickle in North Haven in the early 80's due to Environmental concerns, and waste disposal.

Any NEW Haven rifle will have a Chromed Bolt..............Actually Chrome has more chance of peeling than E-Nickle................Although, its possible that batch of Bolts missed the pre-etch wash prior to Plating.

Looks like a coating Teflon?? was applied to that one ,too.

As to what action to take............I'd briskly clean and oil it. The XLR Bolts have NO plating at all

Tom

Reactions: zuikowarrior

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Does anybody know if marlin uses any nickel plated components in the stainless guide guns? Or how I could find out if they do? I just kind of figured that a stainless gun was all stainless. I have never really thought about if any of it was nickel plated.

Jesse,
The only parts that are Stainless on a SS Marlin are the Receiver, Lever, Trigger Guard Plate and Barrel...................All other parts are E-Nickle Plated.

By that, I mean the Mag tube and Tube Cap, Hammer, Br' Bolt, Barrel Bands and Forend Caps, Loading Spring, Sling studs and ALL screws, are E-Nickle Plated.

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts