Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traveled back to my hometown - Wichita, KS - to spend time with family and celebrate my son graduating high school.

We had a range day planned, so we swung into Cabela's to load up on ammo. I knew better, but I had to peruse the used guns, and dang if my Marlinitis didn't flare up. I held it off for a couple of days, but ended up going back and making a purchase.

Long story short - a Model 88 came back to Kitsap County with me this morning. Now I've gotta take it out and see if it works!

I haven't decided if it I will re-finish the entire gun or not. It looks fine as a survivor, but it appears there might be some interesting figuring hidden in the walnut that I might be able to coax out.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

Revolver Shotgun Finger

Leather Hardware accessory

·
Registered
285 Posts
I understand your condition. I'm fortunate in that I have literally run out of room for rifles, so my symptoms have subsided. Until my kids move out of the house (considering my oldest is 5, it won't be a while) I'm out of space. Which is a good thing as every time I travel for work, I always get the itch to swing into a pawn shop or LGS. As most of us always have the feeling in the back of our brains that there may just be something special inside that shop!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Its bad disease my wife has been trying to cure me for years. Steve!
there is no cure Steve, tell your wife there is only treatments. the treatment is to buy one more when you have a flare up. that is all that can be done,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: nail

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Very nice.
I have owned three of those over the years.
A word of warning, in case you decide to take it apart...
Don't try to turn the back lug. Push the two buttons in and pull the
spring and bolt out.
(witn it un-cocked)
A lot of times these will have plier marks on them frm a previous attempt.
A side note-
This is one of the only semi autos ever made that work with shorts.
The later models came with a dovetail.

Reactions: PileDriver

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Be glad you only have marlinits.

There are more to acquire that you can’t get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, be glad you didn't get Berettaitis or something. :itsme:

Reactions: PileDriver

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, be glad you didn't get Berettaitis or something. :itsme:
Oh, I've got a serious love of Beretta. Luckily, I got some vaccines of sorts when I was young. First, my dad shot Beretta's almost exclusively for trap and I used his for years. That's helped subside the urge to buy a Beretta scattergun because I've done just about everything you can do with one. Then, in the military, I shot some super crappy and worn out M9's. I know how good they can be, but I also know how bad they can be. I am happy to bide my time on a Beretta purchase.

For trap, my wish list gun is a vintage Browning BT-99 with the beavertail forearm. I haven't found one in my price range yet.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oh, I've got a serious love of Beretta. Luckily, I got some vaccines of sorts when I was young. First, my dad shot Beretta's almost exclusively for trap and I used his for years. That's helped subside the urge to buy a Beretta scattergun because I've done just about everything you can do with one. Then, in the military, I shot some super crappy and worn out M9's. I know how good they can be, but I also know how bad they can be. I am happy to bide my time on a Beretta purchase.

For trap, my wish list gun is a vintage Browning BT-99 with the beavertail forearm. I haven't found one in my price range yet.
I bought a Beretta BL-4 O/U and the minute I put it to my shoulder, I knew it was the one for me. Like the first time I held a 1911. Just perfect. Both seriously felt like they were built just for me. Money well spent in both cases :)

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Marlinitis isn't curable. Mine has gone into remission several times. It usually goes away when my coltitis flares up. Sometimes sigitis sends it down the road. The only itis that has gone away for good has been remingtonitis. My wife says I have gunitis. I kind of like my itises.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.