Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Bulldog case for my 336 straight lever action gun, cal 30-30 win. which has a Leopold 4X scope and a sling. Looking for a serial number so I can trace the date of manufacture, I found a number just behind the trigger. It is 2002xxxx. Does this correspond to a manufacture date of 1982? That would be about right. I got it brand new from a dealer in PA around that time. I had to get a form from my local sheriff's office here in Ohio so I could buy this gun in PA. I wish I had some of the original documentation. About 20 years ago, my brother took this gun deer hunting in W. Va and that's the only time it has been used. I fired half a box of ammo through it when it was brand new. There just isn't anywhere around here to shoot this noisy thing. The gun is in great condition, just a few scratches from eye glasses on the side of the stock. No metal wear or shiny spots at all. It's all original except for the scope and sling that I mentioned. I wonder if I should sell the whole outfit. I never use it. Ijust take it out of the closet and look at it sometimes when I'm watching a John Wayne western. Those rifles they toss around in the movies look like they only weigh a couple of pounds. This one of mine weighs a TON. I worry about taking it to a gun show at the fairgrounds, who can you trust?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Welcome to MO.. the rifle was made in 1980 according to the number we have Years of Manufacture in our Reference Library..

As for sale of it if your inclined .. you need 25 total post on our site to sell . Please read the rules of the For Sale forum ( I have to edit some of your post to comply with the rules.) you may wish to trade it off from somthing less noisy or more to your liking... Read some of the forsale section and we have a Rate the Deal section so you will see members you can trust that have made honest deals.. .. become part of the Marlin Family.. you may just peak an intrest in keeping it and shooting ....

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Jerry,
My heavyiest Marlin weighs 1,992.5 pounds less than a ton. ;D
Just remember, the heavyer the gun, the less you feel the kick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts