Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i headed down to my dads to shoot the new xs7 243 i just bought last sunday for my grandson. i am a 270 fan and have been deer hunting with the same 270 for 30 years and taken many deer. so on my way there is a small mom and pop gun shop and i thought i would stop and have look around. the owner asked if i needed any help? i said i was just browsing but i might be interested in a xl7 270. he said he would have to go down to the vault and check because he didn't really know what he had. after about 15 minuts to my surprise here he came with a marlin box. he opened it up put in the bolt and handed it to me. i first looked on the left side of the barrel and there was a mark i couldn't make out. then i looked on the right side and there was nothing. i asked if he could make out the marks and he said no thats just a production mark. i asked if he had a magnifing glass and he did. when i looked then, there it was a big JM on the barrel. ;D the box said made in USA. ;D then i knew i had a real genuine marlin made by the marlin boys. i couldn't believe it, wow. so i paid the man $327.00 and out the door i went. it felt christmas. 8)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would love to add a XL7 .270 Stainless with a Boyd's Dakota Nutmeg stock to my collection. I've never had a .270 but something about its ballistics whispers in my ear...buy me. Good find and good price.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i would put money on it that it shoots.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It was Christmas for me too. $275 for 30-06 and 270 on closeout with jm barrels. Got me a 30-06 since I already have a 270.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
congrats on the JM christmas!! what a great price too!! ;D where is this close out if i might ask???

·
Registered
148 Posts
I found these rifles at Mills Fleet Farm in Owatonna, MN. They at least had a 270 and a 30-06 left in the showcase, but it sounded like they had more in the back, but only in those calibers with black synthetic and blued metal. Just before I went to Mills, I was at Cabela's and was looking at the Remington 700 ADL scoped package with a case for 450, I hope I made the right move on this one. The action certainly is smoother on the XL7 than the 700ADL. My damage was 275 for the XL7, 170 for a Nikon Pro Staff BDC 3-9x40 (probably could have done better), Weaver scope mounts for 24 and a cheap soft case for 10. I'm looking forward confirming what many on this site are saying about this rifle, but right now our firing range is buried in snow. The only thing I noticed was that the milling they did to recess the crown was a little jagged, but that may clean up after some time on the range.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i hear ya, the weather here in missouri has been crappy. so i haven't shot my 270 yet. i did top it off with weaver rings and a weaver 40/44, 3x9 mildot 129.00. weaver has been a decent scope in the past. we will see.
if you think you might be interested in a replacement wood stock check out boyds. here is a pic of another members that i would really like on mine http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,85292.0.html
its in (WOW TO BOYDS) keep me posted if you get to shoot soon. ;D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I couldn't wait to shoot it. I set up some targets and went out 45 yards and shot off the seat of the snowmobile. I was aiming at the red and hit the green with three shots, all Federal blue box 180 grain. The one that missed the green was the first round ever fired with the rifle. Next is to stretch that range out to 100 yards and settle myself down. If I can do that at 100 yards, that'll put meat in the freezer. This was just off of being bore sighted and I moved the scope to fit me better after the bore sighting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not bad for the first time out. hmmm, snowmobile huh!! where you located at if you don't mind me asking. im around st. louis mo. ;D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm located about 85 miles straight west of Minneapolis, MN. Unfortunately I live in slug hunting country, so I have to travel to rifle hunt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was in the market for a new 22 to pass down to my grandson. I wanted a 39a but with all trouble everyone is having with the new ones i decided on a Henry H004 golden boy. I stopped by the local mom and pop shop to see what they had in stock. he had a couple of Henry's and to my surprise he had a Marlin golden 39a JM ser. # 9230xxxxxx. i think that makes it a 2008. correct me if im wrong.
i checked it over real good and it seems like well made rifle. $536.00. so i am the new proud owner.

It has been confirmed that i have a severe case of Marlinitis!! i have bought 3 new Marlin rifles in past 30 days.
XS7 243 REP
XL7 270 JM
GOLDEN 39A JM

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
mizzouri1 said:
I was in the market for a new 22 to pass down to my grandson. I wanted a 39a but with all trouble everyone is having with the new ones. had a Marlin golden 39a JM ser. # 9230xxxxxx. i think that makes it a 2008. correct me if im wrong.
i checked it over real good and it seems like well made rifle. $536.00. so i am the new proud owner.
If I may, I would suggest checking out the reproduction ejectors for the Marlin 39 over at Wisners. Its 20 some bucks and an easy install. The ejector is of an older style, but works far better than the "paper clip" that your rifle has in it. Oh., and maybe you can post a pic for us. ;D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
we sure did get some snow in new york this year. best year of snowmobiling since ive been alive. 2600 miles on the sled and counting. still feet upon feet of snow here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts