Marlin Firearms Forum banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Guitar Straps

Since I have a little time I figured I'd do some updates of what I've been doing in the past year or so. So without further adieu, I give you guitar straps.

Examples 1 & 2 for a girl I grew up with who is now playing bass with about 5 different bands (she's obviously in high demand):

Example 3 for my wife's cousin:

Examples 4 & 5 for my own up and coming guitar and bass players:

Painting still needs some work and I'm toying with the idea of buying an airbrush but we're getting there.

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Wallets anyone?

I was getting some inquiries about wallets so I figured I'd work up a prototype for a simple bi-fold wallet. Still in the prototyping phase but I like where it's going.

6 slot wallet

6 slots, 2 pockets (behind the slots)

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Vertical shoulder holster

My hunting partner wanted a new rig to tote around his Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. He had a "ballistic nylon" Uncle Mike's rig for it but the snap where it attached to the belt was driving him crazy. He asked me to build him a new rig so I obliged him. I was given total freedom to do what I wanted with it and the only requirement was that it be a vertical shoulder holster. This is what I came up with.

Everything is held together with one way "pull The Dot" type snaps and Chicago Screws so no more snaps popping loose getting in and out of the car and tree stand. It's easily adjustable with the Chicago Screws also. He's a happy camper now.

Stu

·
Registered
824 Posts
Stu that’s beautiful work on that shoulder holster! That must have taken quite a while. I wouldn’t even know where to start.

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
Interesting!
#1 - I'd tote one of those wallets - good work!
#2 - Been trying to figure how to make a shoulder holster for my new Dan Wesson 44.
What'd be nice is to be able to have a away to fit on a belt and the rig. I'm thinking a Mexican Loop type with a slot on the loop to attach short straps with slots to attach to the rig. Thoughts?
Question on your rig - I made one with strapping pretty much like yours for my Makarov. The straps acted like they needed a curve to sling over the shoulder and stay put.
I was looking at some of the commercial rigs and a Tandy pattern and they make the shoulder with a wide flare where it goes over your shoulder.
You reckon that helps hold it in place? Seems like Big Dan will need all the help it can get to stay put.

PS: Just a suggestion - I put the thumbreak on the inside since that's where your thumb is on a crossdraw.

Image showing the wide strap.

71C0ujl5k1L._SX425_.jpg

Reactions: Stu925

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Smells good from here. I love good leather. Does the shoulder holster have a loop or tie to the belt? So its held down both sides? I have used them, though never got on. Many an hour spent trying to make them more comfortable and easier to get on and off. Cutting web straps, fitting plastic snaps, sewing and gluing. Oh the fun.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Stu that’s beautiful work on that shoulder holster! That must have taken quite a while. I wouldn’t even know where to start.
Thank you, It took a couple of weeks of off and on work, I could probably get the next one done in a week now that I've pretty much figured it out.

Interesting!
#1 - I'd tote one of those wallets - good work!
#2 - Been trying to figure how to make a shoulder holster for my new Dan Wesson 44.
What'd be nice is to be able to have a away to fit on a belt and the rig. I'm thinking a Mexican Loop type with a slot on the loop to attach short straps with slots to attach to the rig. Thoughts?
Question on your rig - I made one with strapping pretty much like yours for my Makarov. The straps acted like they needed a curve to sling over the shoulder and stay put.
I was looking at some of the commercial rigs and a Tandy pattern and they make the shoulder with a wide flare where it goes over your shoulder.
You reckon that helps hold it in place? Seems like Big Dan will need all the help it can get to stay put.

PS: Just a suggestion - I put the thumbreak on the inside since that's where your thumb is on a crossdraw.

Image showing the wide strap.

View attachment 780059
I doubt the wide strap holds it in place as much as distributes the weight better. The straps on this one are 1 1/4" wide, I would have gone wider to distribute the weight better but I was concerned that they might be a bit too wide if I did. I think a slight curve in the straps would be a good idea for a CC rig where you would be wearing it all day every day. Suede lining the straps might help keep them in place also. I considered a thumb break for the holster but since it's really not a CC rig decided not to reinvent the wheel and stuck with what he's used to. Really this is a hunting rig for him and he's been wearing it every day in the woods this season so I gather that he likes it.

Your idea of a Mexican loop holster sounds like it might work, I think most of them are built so that the loop is actually part of the skirting behind the body, the holster is then when and slipped into the loop and molded. If you made the loop a detachable piece with Chicago screws it would be easy to switch back and forth. Definitely worth a try, worst case is you end up with a holster that's best used as a belt holster. Best case scenario you end up with a one of a kind that everyone wants.

Smells good from here. I love good leather. Does the shoulder holster have a loop or tie to the belt? So its held down both sides? I have used them, though never got on. Many an hour spent trying to make them more comfortable and easier to get on and off. Cutting web straps, fitting plastic snaps, sewing and gluing. Oh the fun.
You'd love them smell of my office then, there's always a couple of sides of leather in here. Yes the rig attaches to the belt on both sides, on the back of the holster body is a strap that unsnaps and you slip behind your belt, there's a tie down strip on the weak side that runs from the ammo carrier to your belt which also snaps so you never have to unthread your belt. I used one-way pull the dot snaps on the tie downs so they can unsnap when you move around, that's a pet peeve of mine. Snaps should stay snapped unless I want to unsnap them. I've never really been a shoulder holster guy, I've tried a few and find it uncomfortable for me to get to the gun and I always feel like everyone knows I'm carrying. I used to carry IWB until I got too fat so now I like a high rise pancake holster.

I appreciate the feedback and the praise.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Social Distancing Rig

I have decided that I like my Commander size 1911 too much to let it just sit in my safe. I haven't been carrying it for a few years now because it tends to throw my lower back out of alignment, this is unacceptable to me so I decided to do something about it. I can't very well fix my lower back so I needed another way to carry this gun, my solution is a horizontal shoulder holster. This the the first horizontal shoulder holster that I've ever owned, I've owned vertical shoulder holsters in the past but didn't much care for them. What I found however, is that the horizontal shoulder holster carries well, doesn't need tie downs and is very comfortable. Plus the system is very modular so swapping out holsters and mag pouches is a breeze if I decide I want to carry something else. I decided with this one to go all natural with the color so hand rubbed neatsfoot oil is all it got, I'll let it develop it's own patina. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the holster and shoulder holsters in general. My model is quite a bit shorter than me so it doesn't wear quite right on him since it's adjusted for me.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Ammo Carriers

Here we go, something a little bit different. Had a request from a member here for some ammo carriers, once we established exactly what he was looking for I came up with these. I'm very pleased with how they turned out, it seems 1 1/4" is just about the perfect width for rifle cartridge loops. Colors are Saddle Tan, Dark Brown and Black, they are sealed inside and out with an acrylic sealer.

Hope you guys like them.

Stu

·
Registered
168 Posts
Beautiful work! Do you still make the butt cuffs (i know you don't much like the name)? I have an 1895 Trapper .45-70 and might be interested in one and a couple of your ammo carriers or maybe a bandolier in black leather.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Real nice work Stu. The good photos show your skill. I like everything you've made.
Thank you sir, I appreciate it.
Beautiful work! Do you still make the butt cuffs (i know you don't much like the name)? I have an 1895 Trapper .45-70 and might be interested in one and a couple of your ammo carriers or maybe a bandolier in black leather.
I'm glad you like it. I'm always happy to hear the comments of fellow Marlin Owners. Yes I still make butt cuffs although I haven't made one in quite awhile. You can shoot me a PM whenever you're ready and we can discuss what you're looking for there.

Stu

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nice work Stu! Always enjoy seeing your new stuff.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts