Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Liked it when I bought it brand new 10 years ago, and I still like it! Oh, the adventures it's taken me on... Trips for hunting, fishing, hiking, snowshoeing, photography, camping. Based here on the dry side of the Cascade mountains in Washington, it's taken me on so very many local trips and also to:

Fairbanks Alaska, where I flew out to the Brooks Range above the arctic circle for a nine-day grizzly hunt:

Of course to get there it took me through British Columbia and the Yukon. What a trip!

Idaho:

Montana:

Wyoming:

Oregon:

Utah, yes my itty bitty Jeep and trailer are across the canyon from me:

Nevada:

Arizona:

California:

Here in Washington:

The little Jeep was a base model, manual transmission, peppy 3.6 V6, manual roll-up windows etc.

Though it looks close to stock, it's had a lot of changes and additions over the years that have been a lot of fun, and have made it more capable:

4.10 gears and air lockers in the front & rear differentials
Underhood air compressor for those diffs and also the tires
custom front and rear driveshafts
2.5" Teraflex springs with Fox shocks
A couple of different sets of tires and wheels, I'm back to the stock 17" aluminum rims and 33x10.50 Coopers
Steel front & rear bumpers and rock-rails
10,000 pound Engo winch, which looks pretty beat up now, but still works great
Aux Vision X lights, just small ones

Picked up a used Jackwagon Basecamp trailer for it years ago. Built for off-pavement use it's got about 17" of ground clearance and can haul a thousand pounds of cargo, more than I've ever asked of it. It often totes my kayak or sometimes supplies for an extended backcountry trip.

10 years, 120,000 miles and a lot of fun. Am still so pleased with this little Wrangler.

Guy

·
Administrator
30,741 Posts
Guy, great adventures judging by the pics but where are the ID pics?

I've heard Jeeps break fairly often, is that true? I figured after 120K miles you'd know.

Jack

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guy, great adventures judging by the pics but where are the ID pics?

I've heard Jeeps break fairly often, is that true? I figured after 120K miles you'd know.

Jack
Well I only put one Idaho photo in there, had others ready to go, but I had to hold down the number of photos or it wouldn't post.

My Jeep has been pretty reliable. I do work it hard and it's needed some repairs.

Broke the ring bolts on an aftermarket limited slip rear differential I was using for a while. The local shop took care of me and installed an air locker instead. That limited slip lives on in an old full-size Jeep now. Just needed better ring bolts - I think they were from China!

Had the "clock spring" in the steering column replaced twice. It's prone to damage from dust and makes the electronics go goofy when it starts going bad. Replaced both times under what appears to be a "forever" warranty for that part. Not sure if it really is a forever warranty, but Jeep addressed the issue with a memo some years back. I hope the new design is better.

I managed to wear out both the front and rear driveshafts, and replaced them with locally made custom driveshafts that are more rugged and fit better than the stock ones did after the 2.5" lift.

Of course the brake pads have been replaced a few times. Replaced the battery once.

The windshield is prone to breakage from rock strikes. It's at such an upright angle, I think that contributes. I need another new one now.

Can't really think of anything else that has broken or needed repair. I did swap in stronger front axle shafts, but that was just a precaution as the front Dana 30 is a little small for oversized tires.

Regards, Guy

·
Administrator
30,741 Posts
Well I only put one Idaho photo in there, had others ready to go, but I had to hold down the number of photos or it wouldn't post.

My Jeep has been pretty reliable. I do work it hard and it's needed some repairs.

Broke the ring bolts on an aftermarket limited slip rear differential I was using for a while. The local shop took care of me and installed an air locker instead. That limited slip lives on in an old full-size Jeep now. Just needed better ring bolts - I think they were from China!

Had the "clock spring" in the steering column replaced twice. It's prone to damage from dust and makes the electronics go goofy when it starts going bad. Replaced both times under what appears to be a "forever" warranty for that part. Not sure if it really is a forever warranty, but Jeep addressed the issue with a memo some years back. I hope the new design is better.

I managed to wear out both the front and rear driveshafts, and replaced them with locally made custom driveshafts that are more rugged and fit better than the stock ones did after the 2.5" lift.

Of course the brake pads have been replaced a few times. Replaced the battery once.

The windshield is prone to breakage from rock strikes. It's at such an upright angle, I think that contributes. I need another new one now.

Can't really think of anything else that has broken or needed repair. I did swap in stronger front axle shafts, but that was just a precaution as the front Dana 30 is a little small for oversized tires.

Regards, Guy

Went right by the one ID pic and thanks for that run down. The review mentioning that Jeeps break often was to stock Jeeps under heavy off road use. They recommended a list of after market which you know, it all adds up. Still, I can't think of anything better than a Jeep for off road adventures.

Jack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guy,
I remember when you bought that Wrangler. We were both members of the old Handloads forum. I bought a 2012 Sport S that looked nearly identical but I had the automatic. I kept the Wrangler until 2018 and traded for an F150.
There have been issues with the newer JL Wranglers and I'm not sure I'd want one of the JL's.
Mike

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a 2014 Wrangler that I bought new. It has > 130 thousand on it. I have never been this attached to a vehicle. I can put a rack in the hitch receiver and haul dead deer to the butcher. I have hitch receivers front and rear so I can use our portable winch with it. I have a Big Sky gun rack in it and the back seat is removed and replaced with a shelf to hold my hunting gear.

Is it reliable? Sort of. Valve train had to be replaced at 110,000. Radio is weak. Differential leaks a bit. I am going to put some $$$s in it and keep driving.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Grille Wheel

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great photos. I miss the Jeep days of my youth! I had a 1997 wrangler sport with the 4.0L straight six engine. It was fun but once you try to carry stuff in it you need something bigger so I traded it in on a 1999 jeep cherokee sport. same engine,just not as much fun.
fast forward to today, I cannot believe the insane prices jeep wants for these things. I saw a 2020 rubicon 4 door used for $56K...........I now own a Toyota. Got a great price on it during Covid lockdown and it's just as rugged imo
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
336W
44 Posts

Love mine, been pretty good so far, only stopped once due to a radiator hose
Tire Wheel Plant Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
217 Posts
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light

Our 2018 JKU. Babied, with only ~40k miles on it so far. Been up through the Smokies (Cataloochee) twice now, Nashville and New Orleans once. Looking forward to so many more adventures in it! Our 2013 GT Premium 'vert in the background.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
In my experience, you either like Wranglers a lot or you don't. I bought mine because my wife wouldn't let me go hunting in her 97. I have been hooked since I drove it home. As I stated, mine has 133,000 on it. I have maintained it carefully. It has always leaked under certain difficult to predict rainy conditions. The AM/FM part of the radio quit but I usually listen to Sirius. The differential has a very slight leak. At 100,000 the cam shafts had to be replaced. I notice the A/C computer is having issues. The handbrake is weak. Jeep headlights are better but are still weak. I replaced mine with higher output models. This all said, mine is still running fine and I am not going to replace it. Wranglers do things easily that other vehicles struggle with. I think the Toyota Four Runner and Tacomas are probably much higher quality vehicles but they are also much longer.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Guy, awesome pictures, and very nice Jeep. You do Jeeping right!

Time to add to the Wrangler fun with a couple of pics of my old
Ken and Barbie Wrangler. My buddy makes fun of the "Robbins Egg Blue"

Pretty much stock 4.2 5 speed with 153k miles. I removed an old Webber carb replacing it with Motorcraft 2150 and installed HEI ignition. I have some homemade push plates for a 6 1/2 foot plow for winter and kayak rack for summer. Kind of Ironic to plow with an Islander in Maine. Nice for tight turns and maneuvering in and around areas.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Window Vehicle

Snow Window Motor vehicle Slope Freezing

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Yup, stock P235 R15 tires, Goodyear Wranglers of course. No lift. True to all of the old jeeps it tosses you around all over the place on the trail. Just hang on and don't go too fast.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts