Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I have been of any help SIR - you are welcome ...

Well if it is going to just sit and take up space - I'll take her off your hands ... send her on over ... lol

What model is it ?
Mine is a Westernfield M830 (aka Mossberg 340K).

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Got a little done today ... hopefully completion and reassembly will be this afternoon ...

All the small parts blued:

The barrel is prepped except for final buffing on the wheel ..

Buff and then blue the barrel ... reassemble ... Frankengun will be done ...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Frankengun is complete and has returned from his engagement at the Identity Therapist Shop. He now understands he is a multi-dimensional personality but knows with the understanding and behavior modification of his users he can be a functional part of the firearms community.

He is having a little trouble adjusting to the "correctional and cosmetic" surgery that has been performed but a full recovery is expected. He will now take his rightful place place in the gun closet patiently awaiting the first visit home by the grandkids.

·
Registered
19,669 Posts
Way late to the game and great job on the stock (as usual), but I would have advised a can of black semi gloss krylon and a cheap China made red dot off amazon... put on armslist and could have quadrupled your $$!

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
rjtmac, I'm convinced that the guy who sold you this rifle is a member on this forum, and he wanted to see you work your magic and apply your fairy dust on this rifle 😁

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Overall I believe the rifle turned out to be a completely safe, usable and is built to last. All of the breaks and cracks repaired well and are solid and long term ready.

A few pictures of the "Almost" finished project.

It is short 2 things

1. The Red/Green Mossberg "Fire" and "Safety" indicator buttons - I know I have them somewhere just haven't located them yet for install.
  2. I also have a set of Small Swivels that use the smaller screws necessary for this slender stock and the small holes. They are also in the safe keeping area - real safe, can't find them yet either.

Repainted the Red Ring rifle is cocked indicator. Saw pictures on this model where the painted red ring was present. This one was gone but back now. The Safety now works freely. Took enough wood out of the bolt channel when the channel was being made symmetrical. Safety no longer hits the wood.

The newly shaped Bolt Handle slot turned out fairly nice. Bolt Handle fits near the middle and the bolt slot seems to belong. It is a little large but had to "dance with what they brunged me". Didn't make the span any larger at the top but the curve along the bottom is certainly wider than it was.

Bolt polished ... with everything cleaned up and lubed - the action works like butter. It is tight with no slop. Bolts snaps in and out of position with a solid and secure feel.

The rear sight is the only external metal on the rifle that was not stripped and blued. Disassembley was a little iffy for me so being the "chicken" I am I opted not to chance tearing up something I might not be able to replace. Luckily it is in very good shape.

Was overall pleased with the bluing result.

Picture is out of focus but shows the "Brass Bead" front sight ...

The wood is certainly not a high grade figured wood but overall it is not a bad looking piece of lumber.

pics cont. next post ...

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Another job very well done!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
pics cont.

So this one is in the books until a few sundry parts are found ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow, you are quite the craftsman ! Excellent McGivering. Look on the bright side, you have a good bore, and the stock is genuine walnut.
When I saw the rifle described, before you started work, my first thought was.... Make a kids single shot 22 by shortening the buttstock, and forend, Cut the barrel back and reset the front sight.

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Since this rifle was produced as a mag fed bolt action, what does the cartridge rest on inside the action before you feed it forward with the bolt? Is the stock serving as the cartridge "lifter"?

I have a Marlin 101 single shot bolt action, so I'm just trying to visualize how you are single loading the ammo without the cartridge falling down and out of alignment with with bolt and chamber.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Since this rifle was produced as a mag fed bolt action, what does the cartridge rest on inside the action before you feed it forward with the bolt? Is the stock serving as the cartridge "lifter"?

I have a Marlin 101 single shot bolt action, so I'm just trying to visualize how you are single loading the ammo without the cartridge falling down and out of alignment with with bolt and chamber.
Nothing that sophisticated ...

Having to follow a very "complicated" procedure here:

• Pull the bolt back to eject previous expended round or to gain first access to the chamber
  • Tilt the rifle muzzle downward at approximately a 45° angle or so
  • Insert and seat the cartridge manually into the chamber
* NOTE - if cartridge misses the chamber and falls into the stock ...
• put right hand over the chamber opening
• with the left hand roll rifle to the right until the loose cartridge falls into your right hand
• with cartridge in the right hand roll rifle back to the left and start again with "Step 3"
  • With the cartridge seated in the chamber and with the rifle still pointing downward push the bolt forward and lock it into position
  • Bring the rifle to the shoulder
  • Aim at target and pull the trigger
  • Repeat Process
This particular rifle may have to be dedicated to users with advanced hand/eye coordination and advanced thinking skills.

·
Registered
708 Posts
...what does the cartridge rest on inside the action before you feed it forward with the bolt?...
suitably shaped balsa block wood, instead of the lifter_
made and used in K98k, in my few comps.
same also in lead, glued-on, to better stabilize the carbine _
easily removable, w. petroleum_
and if Bostik glue can stand the 8x57...:)

·
Registered
788 Posts
My mom's model 75 had a piece of pine? in the bottom of the action intended to make it a single shot. Worked well. Would have worked better if more care had been taken in it's construction.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My mom's model 75 had a piece of pine? in the bottom of the action intended to make it a single shot. Worked well. Would have worked better if more care had been taken in it's construction.
pine wood would be the most suitable because it is also excellent for obtaining the plaster mold in which to melt the lead...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Good day today ... found the Red/Green Safety Position Indicator Buttons. They were in a little shipping packet clearly labeled Mossberg Safety Indicators - but - somehow filed in between some parts packets in the Winchester section.

Also found the Sling Swivels. Remembered they had been put in a little box along with a set of Mossberg Sights to be blued ...

So now a little more work sometime in the next few days and FRANKENGUN will be completely FRANKENED.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Wow, you are quite the craftsman ! Excellent McGivering. Look on the bright side, you have a good bore, and the stock is genuine walnut.
When I saw the rifle described, before you started work, my first thought was.... Make a kids single shot 22 by shortening the buttstock, and forend, Cut the barrel back and reset the front sight.
I had one project working with a youth rifle - Marlin 15 YN ... It had to be turned back into a Youth Rifle ...

41 - 60 of 64 Posts