Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was coming to the end of the gun show. ‘Bout 30 minutes left. The Gun Jockey across the isle from me was completing a 3 gun parley and purchase with a guy … When the transaction was all said and done the Jockey comes across the isle to my booth carrying this little beat up .22 rifle. I am busy in the middle of starting to break down the booth and and packing stuff up. He said this looks right up your alley. He said for $50.00 it is yours.

I took the “reject” in hand. Western Field brand (Mossberg made) and a model number. Metal wasn’t great, stock was a mess and a makeshift butt pad for starters as a RED FLAGS on a purchase. Only plus the bore was bright, shiny and the rifling looked good. It was a quick and very minimal look see but I thought, "can’t lose on a $50.00 purchase" - wrong. Handed over the $50.00 and shoved the rifle into an empty carrying case. I never buy anything without as much research as I can do before hand. Should have stuck to my procedure here.

When I got the rifle back to the house the delayed research started a few days later. I found the crossover reference to the Mossberg 42B. The Western Field Model 04M497A and the Mossberg 42B both Identify as Bolt Action - Mag Fed rifles. Hmmm !!! There is no hole is the stock for a mag … When I take the hardware loose from the stock - no lift mechanism … Hmmm !!! Further closer examination reveals to me the slot for the bolt handle to fit into looks as though it was carved with a pocket knife. This is getting better all the time. Put the rifle back together. O.K. time to see if it even goes bang. Grabbed a few .22 shells and stepped out the shop door. Fed the cartridge into the chamber and closed the bolt. Pulled the trigger and bang. Pulled the bolt and the empty flies free and onto the ground. Did this about 10 times and the empties cycled out perfectly each time. Trigger works well and the Safety works although there is not quite enough room where it is sitting to work freely without hitting the stock that has been carved out to accommodate the Receiver and Trigger mechanism for the “wrong hardware in the wrong stock” setup.

So my “astute” purchase has yielded me a “FRANKENGUN” … I looked around and I could most likely purchase the parts for the lift mechanism - I could buy a couple of mags - then I would have to get a stock to accommodate the new parts. Way too much $$$$ investment and time investment to cover my $50.00 error.

Choices left as I saw it:

• Swallow the loss and prop it in the corner somewhere
  • Part the gun out and head for eBay … Sights, Trigger Mechanism and the barrel would pay back the $50.00 + some I am sure. (the Smart Choice)
  • Purchase Parts and get in deeper $$$$ (quicksand area here)
  • Make the best of it - spend a whole lot of wasted time getting the “FRANKENGUN” into fighting shape. This will be another bad decision. A whole lot of work to produce a non gun. Oh well bad decisions have been my lifelong pattern. What’s one more ?
So off to dealing with this:

Noticed on further examination the Trigger Guard was wrong ... wrong fitting shape and new screw holes had been drilled to make it work. Of course 2 wrong and mismatched screws.

Two breaks in the nose here under the barrel that could not be seen.

This break turned out to be much worse that it looks.

Two large chunks of wood missing along the edge of the Butt Stock. One on each side.

No Mag Slot ...

Bolt worked well ... just a little sticky.

This is a nice little DEEP dent ...

So this is going to be treated as the 2nd Amendment Apocalypse Project. If by some unthinkable happening the Dems win the election and the 2nd Amendment goes bye bye any gun will become a premium. This little project will be done with no purchases done. I am going to use whatever left over and available materials that are in the shop like no others are available. In the end hopefully we will have a safe, functioning and presentable single shot .22 LR-L-S functioning rifle.

There are a FEW hidden problems to deal with that come out on further inspection. Onward and Upward.

This is being done along side 2 other projects.

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Your passion for rescuing guns is like my wife's passion for rescuing abandoned animals. She's lucky I'm here to put my foot down and tell her no. Sometimes her heart is too big, but with all the right intentions.

I think your heart desires for your friends on this forum to see you accomplish the nearly impossible with abandoned guns.

Looking forward to the "finished" project.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well I for one have to say I appreciate "Bubba's" ingenuity in taking a box of mismatched parts and creating a working rifle. Of course it's not my $50.00 invested. I can see it would be difficult to bring the gun up to the standards you like to achieve. If you were here in E. TN. we would just say duct tape the cracks and buy a cheap can of flat black paint and "voila" it is the perfect truck gun. 🤣

Reactions: DeoVindice

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi I'm dumb dumb. I would have bought a used/new stock and started from there. What the hey, I could use it later in a barter throw in.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Been there, done that. Buying quick and blind can go wrong as often as it goes right. My worse was when at a gun auction. They held up a percussion revolver, and apart from having no original colour, it looked okay, from thirty feet away. Bought it, what wasnt dented was bent, including the arbour. Spent hours getting it into decent enough shape to get some of my money back. Another was a few months back, a 12g over and under. Bought from auction, unseen, fired once, just once and it dissasembled in my hands.

If I had your rifle, I wouldnt want it around to remind me of my mistake.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I for one have to say I appreciate "Bubba's" ingenuity in taking a box of mismatched parts and creating a working rifle. ...🤣
Agreed ... never know what the situation was that led to the guns existence. The guy that was doing the selling didn't look like he had two nickels to rub together ... of course appearance in itself can be deceiving.

clean up the stock... get the action cleaned up good... you've got a nice little single-shot trainer.
That's the plan ...

Think after it is done I will put it on one of the booth tables as the only gun I have for sale out of the about 35 on display. Present the sale as a "ONE OF A KIND" custom training weapon - $1500.00 price tag. Should get a few laughs ...

Been there, done that. ....

If I had your rifle, I wouldnt want it around to remind me of my mistake.
I need to be reminded of my errors and mistakes. Though it seems to really do no good ... I have a few on hand already.

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Registered
708 Posts
...50 euro...rare WW2 German paratrooper boot-scabbard only , perfect for my orphan fightin'knife...only to find that, under the blk enamel coat, two separate rusted scraps were held together by some jbweld_ I must say the the steel spring clip is good. the clip only :) _

·
Registered
788 Posts
Mac!! If you want to make back half of your cost of this "Learning experience", sell me the dust cover and screws off the bolt. I have a Mossberg 46B that only needs that dust cover to be complete. I'll pay the freight!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Let me sum this up in Two words..."S..tuff Happens" ... and then we move on. Either we Live and we learn ... or we keep on living and keep on getting taught lessons worth learning... maybe.

Looks like you're in the "learning Lessons" mode - because you shall surely come out much more smarter, proficient AND capable when you are through....

Looking forward to seeing the results (AND LEARNING BY PROXY - 😉)

Reactions: wilecoyote

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mac!! If you want to make back half of your cost of this "Learning experience", sell me the dust cover and screws off the bolt. I have a Mossberg 46B that only needs that dust cover to be complete. I'll pay the freight!
Wish I could ... too far gone into trying to make this total disaster into a small disaster ...

Check you Private Messages Sir ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
It almost fits my criteria. I'll always take a gun in any condition for free. Functioning gun, in poor condition I'm willing to pay $50. Well functioning gun in good condition $100. Well functioning gun in good or better condition, decent scope ect. $150. It better be something very special for me to up it to $200. More than that, I don't really need it enough as I hardly use any of what I have now.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Agreed ... never know what the situation was that led to the guns existence. The guy that was doing the selling didn't look like he had two nickels to rub together ... of course appearance in itself can be deceiving.

That's the plan ...

Think after it is done I will put it on one of the booth tables as the only gun I have for sale out of the about 35 on display. Present the sale as a "ONE OF A KIND" custom training weapon - $1500.00 price tag. Should get a few laughs ...

I need to be reminded of my errors and mistakes. Though it seems to really do no good ... I have a few on hand already.
Have you taken it out of the stock yet? I would think that you could discover the place for the magazine that has been covered by the wrong stock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I buy the orphans of the gun world all the time. You did OK. Spruce it up a little or just shoot it as it is if it is safe.

Best,
Charles

·
Registered
965 Posts
So?I bought a rifle fifteen ,maybe 20 years ago for about $10 ,can't really remember but cheap,semi auto if Higgins mod 29, no bolt,no trigger mech.i finally got around to getting them parts last year,but bought the wrong one ,early style versus later style situation,bought another complete trigger mech.this was right,however in the process of figuring out these glitches I bought a lifter from which I figured out early and late glitch ,in the end I have a model 29now and an education on this series of rifles and a couple of other models which I encountered and learned about along the way for about $150 ,they are buy the way great rifles, I have now a Model 29 a model 30 and a model31 they are great rifles to bad they are not still made because they work better then a few of new models brought out.

·
Registered
965 Posts
When I bit the bullet ,by the way,buying the parts from say Numrich?would have cost me between $300 and$ 400 dollars !thank God for eBay!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First thing was a 72 hour stay in the Acetone Spa. With all of the breaks I found this was a necessary stay to leach out as much of the oil in the stock as possible and along with years of residue in the cracks in prep for the glue. A side benefit was the Acetone also did a job on what was left of the old finish.

Found a few significant problems.

What appeared to be a single break along the left side turned out to be 2 breaks. The main break separated the left sidewall from the main body of the back of the receiver area.

An area just in front of the bolt handle slot just flaked out during the first strip sanding.

The dark spot just behind the bolt groove is actually the end of a break. The break starts at the ledge at the back of the Trigger Assembly void and extends down the center of the groove. It shows up when the stock is cleaned up a little.

The screw holes are all pulled out. Both ends of the Trigger cut out are broken and split out.

There is a break extending back to the left. It runs from the Trigger void back along the screw holes on back about 1 3/4".

You will also notice a break in front (right) of the Trigger void. The break extends upward to the Screw Holes for the Trigger Guard.

Nose break on the right side. No give and no way to open the crack for glue.

Break along the left nose. Doesn't show real well here. You can see the start and extends back about 3 to 3 1/2". The crack is not all the way to the stock surface. The crack does allow it to be force open enough to fill the area with glue.

Large chunk of wood out of the end of the Butt stock on this side and one like it on the other.

This dent was removed before the pictures of the stripping ... with a lot of work and time the dent disappeared.

So a lot of repair work to be done. Gonna have to come up with some creative repair solutions to make solid permanent fixes and leave the stock visually appealing.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
First order of business. The end of the Butt Stock was too damaged to salvage and there were 3 cracks starting at the Butt Stock end and traveled a little over 1 1/4" forward. So best solution was just to remove an 1 1/2" of the Butt Stock and replace it. So to the scrap pile. The only piece of scrap ( in staying with what is available in the shop ) that is large enough for the replacement piece is a piece of Walnut.

So the wood was replaced.

So off with the bad. You can see one of the cracks along the right side. Two more on the other side.

New piece doweled,glued and clamped in place.

Rasping the new piece to shape.

Shaping done and Butt Pad shaped. It was way too large. About 1 1/8" too long and about 1/8 to 3/16" too wide. Lots of shaping to get it to fit the new addition piece. The Butt Pad has been laying around on the work table for a couple of years. I don't really remember where it came from.

The missing two chunks of wood, the bad end edges and the 3 cracks all taken care of with one repair solution.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So on to the nose problems ... 2 breaks.

The left side break wasn't too bad a fix ... forced and scotched the crack open ... then filled it with glue and clamped it up for about 8 hours.

The right side was a little different story. Could not open the break. The way I would like to address the problem would be to drill it along the line of break and fill with glue and dowel. But starting the drilling on the slanted and slick nose surface starting the drilling hole is a very very if not impossible to get in without making a mess of the entry. So how to get the glue in ? New plan.

A new kind of strap to glue the two sides of the break together. The solution is to bind the break by creating a cavity along the length of the crack and strap it. A new kind of strap procedure.

The break.

Starting the strap cavity. Round head Dremel cutter.

Cut it in deeper. You can see the crack in the cavity.

Fitting the dowel rod strap.

Strap glued in place ... was clamped about 6 hours ... after the dowel was secure and in place as the crack strap it was contoured to the barrel cavity shape.

Two more breaks taken care of.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts