Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this model 1936 carbine chambered in .32 Special. B serial prefix, so I believe it is a 1937 gun? Obviously the butt stock isn't correct, and it is drilled for a scope. On the plus side the bore looks like new, the action is butter smooth, and the seller threw in several boxes of factory ammo, and reloading components. I have an early 336 stock coming from a friend that will look better than what's on there.
I've had a few boxes of .32 special ammo hanging around for years, I knew there was a reason I didn't get rid of it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice, love the 1936,if you study on it, I think you will find that a "B" prefix is a second variation, and was almost at the same time as WWII, and could have been made as late as 1946.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The caliber stamp on the barrel is "32 Special". There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the model 1936 online. I have read that they were only made in 1936 & 37, or that they were made up to 46. This is definitely a 2nd variation with coil spring.
The B prefix I have seen listed as 1937 or 1941. Is there a definitive answer?

·
Registered
525 Posts
The caliber stamp on the barrel is "32 Special". There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the model 1936 online. I have read that they were only made in 1936 & 37, or that they were made up to 46. This is definitely a 2nd variation with coil spring.
The B prefix I have seen listed as 1937 or 1941. Is there a definitive answer?
I'm not sure if I can help at all, and I think it is going to take some speculation, so let's speculate. If the 1936 came out in very late 1936,and a lot of 1893's were still in the system. That world reason that the first variation would be being sold in 1937 and 1938,by this time most of the 1893's would have been sold too.Now the second variation of 1936 comes out with a "B" prefix in the s/n. These would be likely to be sold in 1939,1940 ? Now the war effort disrupts almost all production Sporting firearms production. Next the model 36 comes out, first with color case, then with blued, and go through Capitol C,little c,and D prefix before the 336 waffletop comes out in 1948.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
The info I have read, mostly on here, lists the B model 36 as a 1941. It had the forearm shaped different. It does not have the flutes in the stock comb and the receiver is color case hardened. There is a lot of info in all the threads here. The 36 still has the 1936 stamped in the tang.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's a great old Marlin! Square bolt are very cool old design's! Find a original stock and you've got one nice 36!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts