Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't shoot any Marlins, though. I had a serious case of cabin fever and figured that the gravel pits were clear of snow. I ran a box through my USFA 38 and my Auto Ordnance 1911A1. Boy, I sure get rusty during the winter months! The last time I shot was last October. After that, my hands cannot handle the cold. I went out grouse hunting the day after Thanksgiving, though. It was -1 when I started my usual 7 hours of walking. Luckily, I had Grandad's old Jon-E handwarmer! I have some 32-20s standing by for my 27-S.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
We had a little break in the rain today, and I went to the range too! Only got about an hour of shooting in before the sky opened up again, but it was still fun!
Shot the new Stevens .22 Walnut Hill, and about 10 rounds of .4070 through the Hepburn. The Stevens shot fantastic, but I need to do more work on the Hepburn. I think my bullets are too small for the new bore, as they are about .002" smaller than the bore. Need to get some of the .410" 400 grainers cast up, and see how they work.
At least the cabin fever is broken for awhile!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yippeee I sure like to hear about the old ones being ressurrected!!! mm93, you are my HERO!!! Keep the great stories coming as I am still unable to shoot myself and it helps me keep from going crazy. JAP

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The Stevens gave me a under 1" ten shot group at 50 yds, and 2" group of 20 shots at 100 yds! I loaded up too small a bullet in the Hepburn, as I got the bore size wrong from John. (my fault) I'm casting up some larger bullets soon, and then we'll give it another go!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Roundsworth,

Glad to hear you got to cure your cabin fever! Let us know how it goes when you shoot your 27-S .32-20.

I got to shoot quite a bunch yesterday. Mostly shot a 1917 Remington Mosin Nagant, I'm still in shock at how well it does at around 500 yards knocking down silhouette rams. It's the weirdest thing, from a sitting position I believe I do better with it with the open sights than I do with a scoped rifle also from a sitting practical position.

Also shot my AR15 50 rounds or so. I sure have a lot of respect for it with the issue peep sights out to 300 yards or so.

Well I enjoyed reading about you guys recent adventures. Take care!

Geoff

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
moodyholler said:
......as I am still unable to shoot myself ...... JAP
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I haven't shot since mid Dec, and those Sharptailed grouse are probly STILL sticking their tongues out at me. Never seen 'em that flighty so late in the year, but I also never recall it being that warm!

I got a lotta "collector" scopes to test when I do get out. Might not be for a while yet as a lot is under spring run-off at the moment...

Did find 16 lbs of pure lead, and almost 5 lbs of antimony- the price was right too- mine for the taking! It was all ingotted up, and I thought it was all lead at first...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Sure hope I am "unable to shoot myself" as well!!!!!!!!!!

You keep an eye on old Moody Holler for us back there Shum8. Take him over some of those Cameo apples. An apple a day will keep that doctor away, as they say!

Geoff

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Geoff,
I was stationed on Whidbey Island for 3 years and was in charge of the rifle range. We had acres of blackberries, Golden Delicious apples, and pears at our disposal. The only thing I DIDN'T care for out there, was the grotesque slugs that were guarding the fruit! One day, I brought a whole baggie full of salt for my little pals. I poured the entire bag on one of the big black slugs with the wrinkly skin. All he did was make a thick layer of sludge and then he crawled out from under it! Whoever told me that salt killed slugs was quite wrong! CS tear gas does not phase them either. Oops, I got off track a bit! Anyways, it is good to see the snow gone.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I made it to the range with 2 8mm TS Carcanos and my 1895 Nagant. BOTH 8mms had the firing pins ground off! :shock: Like a dummy, I forgot to check as those used as Egyptian trainers had them so altered.

I discovered I need to work on my trigger pull, though. I flinched a bit on the 1st 8mm. And this was with mild cast loads. :? Back to the drawing board. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Roundsworth,
You're lucky nobody saw you pour salt on them slugs! That's the state animal of Western Washington! Not only protected by the slime, but by the local natives! :wink: :D

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Roundsworth,

That's why I live over here on the DRY side of the Cascades! I sure have seen those slugs though over around Mt. Vernon and I agree there is something sickening about them. They might be able to grow some apples pretty well over there but just remember the BEST ONES COME FROM N.C. WASHINGTON!!!!!

A6 fighters come right over our house on training missions about 3 times a week. I don't know much about them but have heard they come from Whidbey. I love watching them and they have seriously scared the heck out of some of my buddies while they were snowmobiling up in the mountains. Seems those A6's pilots might enjoy a little chuckle!!!!!!

Hogger,

Good to hear from you, I was starting to get worried about you but heard you've just been working a lot of hours. I flinch too and when something fails to go off when I expect it, I almost fall over! Fight it all the time.

You all take care,

Geoff

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi 'Hogger,
Do you have any problem finding surplus ammo for your Nagant? Fiocchi makes real nice Boxer primed ammo, too. It is a bit spendy, but I am sure it is worth it!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Roundsworth,

I am too cheep to buy factory ammo. Grafs sells components & after a lot of monkeying around with the dies which are set up for 32-20 brass, I was in biz. I put 1000 rounds through it, I should have a forearm like Popeye! Talk about a stiff trigger!!! :shock: SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've had heavy triggers make me flinch- even with a .22! Not to get too far o/t though! There's one that'll shoot dimes all day off the bench, but off-hand becomes a real problem. Pull is so weighty that I usually twitch before the sear releases. It's a brazilian clone of the old Rem 511...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 15 of 15 Posts