Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first rifle. It's a Marlin 1894 in .357Mag. I don't know much about it yet which is why I joined this (my first) forum. I'd like to know when it was manufactured. The serial # starts with 2010. I'd also like to know what micro-grove means, which is stamped into the barrel. It also has JM stamped into the barrel which I'm told is a good thing, but I don't know why yet. I would like to mount a scope to it but I also don't know much about them either. I'm not completely clueless, but obviously I need some help and advise.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Wahooed,

You picked a good one to start with. Yours was made in 1980.

If you are brand new to this game, I would suggest you start with jacketed .357 mag rounds of any flavor, soft point, hollow point, or FMJ. Lead cast bullets work well, also, that is a longer road to go, and requires you to be able to reload them yourself. Besides, you will need brass. Save all you shoot.

It's easy to mount a scope on Marlin 1894. Look at the top of the receiver. You should see four screw heads slightly below the level of the receiver. Either that or four empty holes where the dead end screws used to be. Go to your LGS, or even Dick's, and buy a Weaver scope base for a Marlin. I believe it's a 27a, but I could be mistaken. Should be less than $10.

A set of Weaver rings will set you back about $20. But don't buy them until you decide upon a scope. Scopes come with either 1" or 30mm tube diameter. You will need to buy rings to fit the scope. DON'T buy see through mounts. They are less stable, and the scope sits too high above the bore. Ideally, the scope should be as low to the bore as practical.

Once you decide upon a scope (I tend to think smaller ones look better on a small rifle like the 1894). Check in again and we'll tell you how to mount it and sight it in.

Oh yes, pictures. We need pictures.

Nice purchase.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum, We have many sub forums that will answer all your questions

Reactions: Wahooed

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum from South Jersey...Good first rifle. I love my 1894, it is a lot of fun

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina! Nice choice on a Marlin! You can't go wrong with that! Do you reload yet? If not, no worries that will shoot 357 and 38spl so you should have no lack of available ammo! Oh...and we need pics!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, feel free to keep it coming. A couple other things I'd like to know about. There is no button safety in the receiver, which the guy who sold it to me said is more desirable. Is that true? Most of the pictures I've seen of this model has rings for a sling, but mind doesn't. Is that good or bad? Also, what is the round spot or dot or plug whatever) on the bottom of the stock for? I'll look for the sub forums, but in the meantime here are a few pictures.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Hello & Welcome from a small bluff in W TN. Thanks for the pics. and congrats on a very nice first rifle. Yes the pre safety models are more desireable than the later one with the cross bolt saftey. Not anything really wrong with the safety, but for the purest of lever gun lovers, we don't really care for them. The little dot on the butt stock is called the Marlin bullseye, and please if you decide to put sling mounts on your rifle dont use that hole, it should go behind that approximately 2 or 3 inches from the end.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! My first Marlin is an 1894C and I love it! Thanks for the pictures of your neat carbine! John

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle, she' s great lookin'

Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well now ya done went and did it! :ahhhhh:Bought the “worst” marlin for your first one that could of obtained. Those darn 357’s will haunt you day and nite, with eerie moans from where they rest, feeeed meeee---feeeed meeee---feeeed meeee !!!! And even worst yet will end up with that marlin wide eyed grin on your face every time you do feed it.:biggrin: Better get to reloading or will have nothing but moths flying from your wallet to keep that lead eating monster happy cause is no turning back now !!! ENJOY!!! :congrats:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts