Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My .35 Rem has been giving me fits for a few months so I decided to firelap the barrel. Today I took it to the range and here are the first results. Some are very interesting and I believe I will now have a shooter with some more tweaking and work.

All targets at 50 yd. w/Leupold 3X9X40 and front and rear rest. Groups measured center to center between the two farthest holes.

Target #1
My very first attempt at cast bullets.
H4895 36 gr. 185 gr. FNGC 4 shots-1 1/2" group w/3 @ 3/4" First two shots touching from cold barrel.

Target #2
H4895 37 gr. 185 gr. FNGC 4 shots-1 3/8" group w/3 @ 3/8"

Target #3
H4895 38 gr. 185 gr. FNGC 5 shots-3" group w/3 @ 1 3/16"

Target #4
H4895 39 gr. 185 gr. FNGC 5 shots @1 5/8"

Target #5
H322 33.5 gr. 200 gr. Corelokt 6 shots @ 1" w/[email protected]/2"

I feel very encouraged as I was seriously considering selling this rifle. I really enjoy the technical posts on BTB forums and have studied the firelapping posts and articles quite a bit. My hunting and shooting buddy, along with Ranch dog, convinced me to try the firelapping. My buddy even supplied me the supplies free as he has them left over from his .35. (I need to watch out for the payback he will be expecting) :wink: When we slugged the barrel we found 3 very serious constrictions. It is now slick and I am looking forward to finding both a good cast bullet, probably heavier and jacketed bullet to take afield.

Dave 8)

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Not knowing the history of your rifle, how did it shoot cast and jacketed before the firelapping? Not well, I presume. Just how bad was it?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I wonder if we will be seeing some targets from this rifle in Ranch Dog's Postal IV?? :shock: :D

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duckbill - No chrony.

35Rem - AWFUL - e-mail me if you want my spreadsheet

BigMed - If it ain't a shootin by then I figure the forestock and buttstock will make good kindlin for the fireplace and I will just be a shootin the old 444's :wink:

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Way to go, Dave. Sounds like you licked the problem. Maybe this will convince all others with inaccurate rifles.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Did you slug the barrel again after firelapping and find the restrictions gone?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kart,

Yes! It is smooth.

Dr A., everyone has sure been good to me for the past three years sharing information and tips. I am now in a position to return the favor on a few things.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
VTDW said:
Dr A., everyone has sure been good to me for the past three years sharing information and tips. I am now in a position to return the favor on a few things.

Dave 8)
Thats way we are all here to have fun and learn from each other..

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gunjunkie said:
VTDW said:

Dave 8)
Thats way we are all here to have fun and learn from each other..
Yep and GJ is my mentor that got me started on the right foot. NBS!!! I will always be grateful to you for that Larry.

Dave 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts